3D BVHE Press Release: Cars 2 (Blu-ray Combo) (3D Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

The #1 Animated Film of the Year Races Home!

[​IMG]

Hits The Streets November 1, 2011

On Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D™, DVD and Movie Download

Features Exclusive All-New Pixar Animated Short “Air Mater”

“Hawaiian Vacation” Animated Short and Hours More Exciting Bonus Features

Take Audiences on a “World Tour” with the Artists and Filmmakers

[​IMG]

BURBANK, Calif., August 18, 2011 — Disney•Pixar’s fast-action summer hit “Cars 2” comes home on Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D, Movie Download and DVD -- November 1, 2011. Celebrating the 25th anniversary of Pixar Animation Studios, the high octane in-home release invites families and fans of all ages to come along on a journey around the world with the #1 animated film of the year and introduces an exclusive all-new animated short “Air Mater,” featuring the fan favorite character spinning his tales in an exciting adventure high above Radiator Springs. The must-own animated release also includes fascinating commentary from award-winning director John Lasseter and “Hawaiian Vacation,” the delightful animated short that accompanied the film in theatres.

The immersive “Cars 2” bonus features include an one-of-a-kind interactive “World Tour” map that takes viewers through nine different locations, including those featured in the film and more. A global thrill-ride, it allows viewers to go behind-the-scenes with the Pixar artists and filmmakers as they circle the globe finding inspiration for the most international of all Pixar films to date. “Cars 2” is also the first Pixar film to be released in spectacular Blu-ray 3D.

Academy Award®-winning filmmaker John Lasseter, chief creative officer for Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, returns to the driver’s seat as director. “Cars 2” is produced by visual effects industry veteran Denise Ream (associate producer, “Up”; visual effects executive producer, “Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith”). Oscar®-winning composer Michael Giacchino (“The Incredibles,” “Up”) provides the electrifying score with a surf-rock-meets-spy-thriller flavor and a variety of global accents, evoking a sense of thrills, mystery and emotion. Brad Paisley, Robbie Williams, Weezer, French singer Bénabar and Japanese girl band Perfume lend their diverse musical talents to the film’s soundtrack.

The film features an all-star vocal cast including Owen Wilson who reprises his role as hotshot racecar Lightning McQueen. Larry the Cable Guy provides the voice of Mater (proprietor of Tow Mater Towing and Salvage), Lightning McQueen’s best friend and the heart and soul of Radiator Springs. Bonnie Hunt is back as Sally, the baby-blue Porsche 911 Carrera whose motor races for Lightning. Acclaimed actor Michael Caine makes his Pixar debut as Finn McMissile, a top British spy who mistakes Mater for an undercover American agent with a genius disguise. Emily Mortimer brings charm, cleverness and cachet as Holley Shiftwell, a rookie field spy who knows every trick in the manual. Versatile actor John Turturro gives a free-wheeling performance as Francesco Bernoulli, the world-renowned Italian racing champ who is Lightning’s chief rival. Tony Shalhoub, Joe Mantegna, Peter Jacobson, Jason Isaacs, Eddie Izzard, Paul Dooley, Cheech Marin, John Ratzenberger, Franco Nero and Vanessa Redgrave also lend their vocal talents. Real-life Formula 1 racing champ Lewis Hamilton and NASCAR racer Jeff Gordon add a touch of authenticity with their cameos in the film.

“Cars 2” is available in-home in several ways:

2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (1 Blu-ray Disc + 1 DVD)

Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./$44.99 Canada

Bonus Features:

§ Cars Toon “Air Mater” – Exclusive All-New Short

§ Toy Story Toon “Hawaiian Vacation” – Theatrically Released Short

§ Director John Lasseter Commentary

2-Disc DVD Combo Pack (1 DVD + 1 Blu-ray Disc)

Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./$44.99 Canada

Bonus Features:

5-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (1 Blu-ray 3D Disc + 2 Blu-ray Discs + DVD + Digital Copy)

Suggested Retail Price: $49.99 U.S./$56.99 Canada

Bonus Features:

§ World Tour” Interactive

§ Sneak Peek: The Nuts and Bolts of ‘Cars Land’

11-Disc 3-Movie Blu-ray Combo Pack “Collector Set” “Cars 2,” “Cars” and “Mater’s Tall Tales”

Suggested Retail Price: $119.99 U.S./$134.99 Canada

“Cars 2” (1 Blu-ray 3D Disc + 2 Blu-ray Discs + DVD + Digital Copy)

Bonus Features:

§ World Tour” Interactive

§ One Die-Cast ‘John Lassetire’ Car

“Cars” (1 Blu-ray Disc + 1 DVD + Digital Copy)

Bonus Features: All Bonus Features Currently Available for “Cars”

“Mater’s Tall Tales” (1 Blu-ray Disc + 1 DVD + Digital Copy)

Bonus Features: All Bonus Features Currently Available for “Mater’s Tall Tales”

1 Disc DVD

Suggested Retail Price: $29.99 U.S./$35.99 Canada

Bonus Features:

Movie Download

Suggested Retail Price High Definition: $39.99 U.S./44.99 Canada

Suggested Retail Price Standard Definition: $29.99 U.S./$35.99 Canada

Bonus Features:

§ From the ‘World Tour” Interactive Feature – “Emeryville,” one of nine destinations offered on the 5-disc set as well as the 11-Disc “Collector’s Set”

§ “Bringing Cars 2 To The World” – Available only on Movie Download, it presents a special behind-the-scenes look at how Pixar artists and filmmakers make movies in over 40 different languages for audiences around the world to enjoy.

Specifications:

STREET DATE: November 1, 2011 (Direct Pre-book: 8/23 / Distributor Pre-book 9/6)

Feature Run Time: 106 minutes

Rating: U.S.: G/Canadian: G (Bonus Material Not Rated)

Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray 3D: 2.39:1 Aspect Ratio (Feature Film)

Blu-ray: 1080p High Definition • 2.39:1 (Feature Film)

DVD: 1080p High Definition • 2.39:1 (Feature Film)

Audio: Blu-ray 3D: English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 5.1 Dolby Digital EX, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Near Field Mix 2.0

Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio ES, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Near Field Mix 2.0

DVD: English 5.1 Dolby Digital EX, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Near Field Mix 2.0 Dolby Digital, English SDH Subtitles

Subtitles: Blu-ray 3D: English SDH Subtitles, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital EX & Spanish Subtitles (US Only), French 5.1 Dolby Digital EX & French Subtitles (Canada Only)

Blu-ray: English SDH Subtitles, Spanish 7.1 DTS-HD HR, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital EX & Spanish Subtitles (US Only), French 7.1 DTS-HD HR, French 5.1 Dolby Digital EX & French Subtitles (Canada Only)

DVD: Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital EX & Spanish Subtitles (US Only), French 5.1 Dolby EX & French Subtitles (Canada Only)

Film Synopsis:

Star racecar Lightning McQueen and the incomparable tow truck Mater take their friendship to exciting new places in “Cars 2” when they head overseas to compete in the first-ever World Grand Prix to determine the world’s fastest car. But the road to the championship is filled with plenty of potholes, detours and hilarious surprises when Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage. Mater finds himself torn between assisting Lightning McQueen in the high-profile race and towing the line in a top-secret mission orchestrated by master British super spy Finn McMissile and the stunning rookie field spy Holley Shiftwell. Mater’s action-packed journey leads him on an explosive chase through the streets of Japan and Europe, trailed by his friends and watched by the whole world. The fast-paced fun includes a colorful new all-car cast, complete with menacing villains and international racing competitors.

Social Media:

Those who would like to stay connected with the exciting “Cars 2” release are encouraged to:

· “Like” the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pixarcars

· Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/disneypixar

· Visit the website and mobile site: www.Disney.com/cars

About Disney Blu-ray Combo Packs:

To provide consumers with unprecedented quality, value and portability of their favorite Disney classics, in 2008 WDSHE pioneered the Combo Pack – a Blu-ray DiscTM plus a DVD in a single package. Current Disney titles available in market as Combo Packs include “Bambi,” “Fox and the Hound,” “Mars Needs Moms,” “I Am Number Four” and “TRON: Legacy,” to name a few.

About Walt Disney Studios:

For more than 85 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company (DIS: NYSE) was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under four banners: Walt Disney Pictures, which includes Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Touchstone Pictures and Marvel. Original music and motion picture soundtracks are produced under Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records, while Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Broadway theatrical productions, Disney on Ice and Disney LIVE!. For more information, please visit www.disney.com.

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Here is a sneak peek at the new Pixar short Air Mater, a bonus feature:

3. Brisby

Brisby Second Unit

The first Pixar movie I have no desire whatsoever to own on DVD or Blu-Ray. I even sold my Blu of the original recently due to my disappointment at Pixar selling out so badly. :(

4. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The CARS franchise has not been my favorite Pixar effort.

CARS 2 received rather mediocre reviews.

That being said, I look forward to reviewing the 3D release

and I am hoping the it pleasantly surprises me. Disney has

been doing an outstanding job with their 3D product.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The Cars franchise is John Lasseter's baby. I think he knew from the get-go that Cars is among the least popular of Pixar's holdings, but he loves it so much that it didn't matter that the film was probably never going to approach the billion dollars made with the last Toy Story film.

That said, I was more enthusiastic about the original film than most were, so I'm looking forward to this next edition.

6. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    An 11 disc set for $119.99 for two Cars movies? :jawdrop:

7. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I really enjoyed the first one.

The second one lost me; I was surprised at how cruel it was, with characters getting tortured to death and I'm not sure if you'd call it classism or racism or whatever in the labeling of "inferiors" as evil, and so on.

To be honest, Cars2 was a film I walked out of and my kid liked.. but the longer I've thought about it the harder it is to like anything about it.

8. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Those things didn't bother me. But what did bother me, was that like almost all other "family" movies these days, it was just so spastic. It was just loud, and fast and crazy. It's almost hyper. Everything opposite of the first film, which I loved. It did not work for me, and I wanted to like it.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, it's not like the old days when Pixar made small movies for the art houses. How did Pixar sell out with Cars 2? It can't be merchandise because they've clearly merchandised the hell out of every movie they've ever made and it's always been a big factor in what they do and how they do it.

10. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Maybe I need to drink to get my head around all these versions. It looks like the 2 disc BD for me, but I may also wait until a sale hits. Unlike Cars, I was utterly bored by Cars 2...and irritated by Larry the Cable Guy being the main attraction.

11. Brisby

Brisby Second Unit

But this is the first time they've deliberately made a sequel for NO REASON other than to push more merchandise. Story was always first for Pixar, until this hunk of mediocrity.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Call me a cynic but I really doubt it's the first time. I think Finding Nemo exists as it does because they knew could sell a zillion plush toys of cute fish. The Toy Story sequels were obviously driven by grosses and merchandising. And I don't think any of that is inherently bad because Pixar knows how to make movies that they can make tons of money with (whether it's the box office, merchandising or home video) and tell a wonderful story at the same time.

13. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein

I didn't want to come out and say it, so I am glad you did.

The biggest problems with CARS and CARS 2 is Larry the Cable Guy.

14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

I have no problem saying it, Ron. I'm not being mean or vulgar or anything like that. A little of Larry goes a LONG way. The charm of Cars rested in seeing Lightning McQueen change and watch how that change was instigated by the people/cars around him. I didn't feel any of that with Mater as the main character. Cars 2, at least for me, exists not because it was a great idea for a movie (which it could have been, to be honest); it's around to strictly sell merchandise to kids.

Both the Toy Story sequels had logical storylines which grew out of the concept and the first movie. Cars 2 was looking at the merchandising possibilities from the get go. Which is fine, of course, but the movie itself lacked the soul of all other Pixar films.

15. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I think both of these views are wrong. I doubt that Pixar ever set out to make a movie thinking we can sell a lot of stuffed fish toys or plastic cars. The merchandising is developed concurrently with the film and it is always a risk. If the film blows then they are stuck with a lot of unsaleable merchandise. On the other hand, if the film is a success then they sell a lot of merchandise. A sequel such as CARS 2 could be successful but there is still no gaurantee of selling a ton of merchandise, because sellers have to contend with the short attention span of kids who are always looking for some new stimulus. CARS 2 got made because the first one made a lot of money. However, even if it hadn't hit big, a sequel probably would have been made because Lasseter is a car nut who still wants to tell stories using these characters. Judging from the nature of the film, Lasseter is also a fan of spy movies, especially James Bond. He is lucky enough to be sitting in a position where he has the pull to be able to do stories that he wants to see. He isn't sitting around, rubbing his hands together, thinking, "Ho Ho, lets make CARS 2. It'll sell a ton of toys". Frankly, CARS 2 isn't as good as CARS 1, but it is a better old school Bond-style spy movie than most of what has passed for James Bond movies in the last decade or so. And it is not like there wasn't a ton of foreshadowing done as to who the focus of the second film was going to be. I'm no fan of Larry the Cable Guy, but he was cast appropriately for these films. His schtik and voice are entirely fitting for portraying a rusty, rural bumpkin tow truck