What's new

"Buying TPM" stories thread. (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Since it seems like a lot of people might be posting their B&M experiences, here is a thread for it if you want. Unfortunately, I can't contribute myself; the discs came yesterday from Buy.com to my door and I watched through the film, the behind the scenes documentary, the deleted scenes documentary, and a bit of the audio commentary yesterday. But what about YOU?
-Tom

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
No real story here. I went to Best Buy today on my lunch and they had a TON of TPM disks. The sale price was $17.99, which I thought was pretty good. Plus they were giving out a Lucas Arts demo game CDROM.
Excuse me while I go and hug my new disk. I wish we had DVD ROM drives here at work.
-Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My DVD Empire order is not scheduled to ship until next week (it was bundled with other items to be released then). I decided to stop at Best Buy at lunch to pick up a less expensive copy. They had lots of copies, but they were selling well. The checkout clerk said "that'll be $19.07" immediately when he saw what was in my hand. We both laughed -- they had been selling a lot of copies.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You need to patronize and befriend the small video store in your neighborhood, if any of course. I almost never rent, but I buy often from them. That is how I can get new releases the Friday before street date! :)
--
Holadem - well,living in NYC certainly helps...

When I stopped by Best Buy this morning they had a 4-sided standup display and a couple of end shelves full – there were probably 15-20 copies or so gone from the main display when I got there about 30 minutes after they opened.
I’ve noticed that they usually set up these larger displays the night before. A couple of times when I’ve been there late Monday night, I’ve been able to nab a DVD or CD a whole 4 hours before street date! Woo-Hoo! :)
Anyway, I didn’t get a game demo disc – was this given out by the cashier or was it sitting by the displays?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I went around 10:30 AM and there wasn't any huge, impressive line. Actually, to my great surprise, there wasn't a prominent display (I didn't see one at all, but maybe it was buried somewhere; the Godfather display was still up, though), and there weren't any copies in the "Hot DVDs" section...not even an empty space where copies might've been earlier. There were a fair number of copies in the Sci-Fi section, but again, not too many out and no gaping holes. I guess the Best Buy here isn't banking on selling too many copies right now or something.
Tony -- I noticed that one person in front of me in line had a disc in a flimsy plastic holder that seemed like the demo disc. If it came from a display, I couldn't find it.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Walked into Best Buy, picked up TPM and the Sony NS700p, paid and walked out.
Going to put the NS700p head-to-head with the Panny RP56 I picked up last Friday.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I picked it up from a small store over the weekend. I just go and look in their stock area to see what comes in early, and they let me take copies.
They give 25% off on pre-orders for everyone too, which is a pretty good deal, for B&M (I actually get a bit extra off too. :))

David Judah

Screenwriter
I rented the disc Friday through a friend, but I still wanted to own a copy, so I went down to a local store that was selling them at 12:05 am this morning.
I was suprised that there were only a few people in the store, and some of them were only there to buy Ozzy's new CD. I guess there's no die-hard Star Wars contingent here in Albuquerque. :)
DJ

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Since the evil Wal-Mart is about 10 miles closer to me than either Best Buy or Circuit City, this morning I took the Circuit City Sunday ad (which, nice of them, actually spelled out the $17.99 selling price instead of Best Buy's disgusting "Low Price"). Wal-Mart had a $22.99 price, but when I showed them the ad, they reprogrammed their computer to price it at $17.98. I feel bad about getting it there (may get another copy at CC), but at least it cost them a few hundred bucks. Of course, I don't imagine they would have sold many at $22.99 with the widely-advertised lower price.
Of course I asked for the widescreen Cats & Dogs and the clerk looked for them but couldn't find any. (duh) I guess he really didn't know what creeps Wal-Mart are. He said he thought they usually got in both versions when they were available.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
No real story here. As it's primarily a bookstore, Borders didn't have a big display or anything, but they had a good amount of copies. The cost of $22.99 was a bit steep, especially after paying $19.99 for Snow White there last week. The only other noteworthy thing is that they were showcasing the DVD on TVs and PC monitors elsewhere in the mall.
------------------
My DVD collection

I was very happy to get my TPM (US region 1) October 4th for 200 Danish kroner (around 25 USD). That is a very reasonable price for a region 1 DVD in Denmark! Saw the whole thing about two days later (after having seen the pod race a couple of times the same day :) ).
By the way I only buy region 1 DVD's.
My happy little story!

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up TPM at Best Buy. Even though it was an hour since opening, the cashier still gave me the bonus disk....so they must not be selling that quickly.
Michael
[Edited last by Michael Johnston on October 16, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I picked mine up today for 17.99 at Best Buy. I would buy from a mom and pop if there were any that sold DVD's in my area.
There were about six guys in line behind me (the line was moving slowly because a man was buying a 4 year extended service plan on a $140 Technics ProLogic Receiver.) Of the six guys in line, (all in business suits) 5 were holding nothing but Phantom Menace! Everyone reading the back cover, saying things like 'Sweet,' and 'Cool,' giggling like an 10 year old at a slumber party.
Like a little NerdFest in the middle of Best Buy. And I was at the front of the line!
[Edited last by Mickey Brown on October 16, 2001 at 02:59 PM]

Gary_E

Second Unit
I was in Best Buy this morning about 11:00 am to pick up a copy for myself and a friend. There were about 30 people in line and at least half of them had a copy of TPM. The bonus discs were given to me by the cashier at the register.
-Gary

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Got to my local Best Buy about 10 minutes after they opened and about 20 discs were already gone from one of the diplays. I also had my demo disc handed to me by Darth Maul. :)
However, my excitement was pretty much killed becasue I knew I had a flooded basement to clean when I got home.
furious.gif

Will the rain ever stop here in Chicago?
furious.gif

-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Tom Lowden

Agent
I live in Albuquerque and work in Santa Fe.
I considered getting it at the 24-hour Wal Mart last night, but I decided to wait and get the demo CD-ROM from Best Buy. I considered taking the day off work to be sure to be one of the first 100, but I had no idea if I would have to show up really early and wait in line. So I decided not to take the day off and just drive up to Santa Fe (I usually take a shuttle van). I figured there would be less poeple at the Best Buy here up in Santa Fe, anyway. So it worked! I went about 40 minutes before opening and was the first to buy the DVD at the register.
I went back and got another copy of the DVD and demo CD-ROM just in case the CD becomes highly sought-after.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Got mine at Futureshop here in Vancouver this morning at about 2 minutes after 10am (opening). I had planned to be there right before they opened but I over slept. Basically when I got there was a bit more traffic customer wise then there would usually be at that time of day. I picked up my copy of TPM and headed for the line which was a modest 2 customers deep.. Then shortly after I entered the line it grew to about 10 people. All of which had atleast one TPM in their hand. One guy bought 5. I guess he's doing his Xmas shopping now.
Was anyone else there from the HTF. I was at the Broadway location right after 10 (like I'd say 10:02am) and was gone just past 10:10.
M.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I went to Kmart last night(monday) and they had TPM and Cats & Dogs(p&s)in an open box. I left the Cats & Dogs and took the TPM to the service desk to have them match the Circuit City low price from the flyer. Which I had brought with me. I was waiting for her to tell me I could not buy it. She gave me the price correction and I left with my copy. :)
In another post I mentioned how I also went to Circuit City last night. They were pricing the TPM discs. I asked them if I could buy one. They told me they couldn't because it wasn't in their computer system yet.
rolleyes.gif

[Edited last by todd s on October 16, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks