What's new

Buying more games than I have time to play... (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Joe,

I am able to buy a new game for about $35 with discounts from people I know... I then sell it for $50-$60 to someone else as soon I finish playing it... It only takes me about a week to beat a game...

I only play maybe 3 or 4 games a year in total... And they are only A class demanded titles with much popularity... 9 or 10 out of 10 ratings... Best resale...

This only works when the game is brand new still... Wont really work even a month later, because the novelty wears off most times and prices start to drop...

Although, I have gotten luckier with some DVD's... I only paid $40 for the set of Ren and Stimpy DVD's from Time Life... Was able to sell the set for $150 because of the rarity and a sell out...

It's just about luck really... I dont even buy with the intent to sell... It's just once I am done with a video game, I will never play it again... So, there is no reason for me to keep it...

I own zero video games at this time... My systems are collecting dust... Last time I played a game was in December...

Once in a great while (1 or 2 times a year), I might rent a game...

I wont be buying any games at all until the fall when

Resident Evil 4
1000 Marios
Leisure Suit Larry 7

come out...

Video Game playing is a very limited hobby of mine...

I thought about buying Halo 2, but so many people will own that that I will just play their's...

Tony_L

Grip
Home theater equipment and technology do have a tendency to suck your enjoyment of things, don't they? I used to be happy listening to music with earbuds and a walkman; now, audiophilism has taken over and I find myself listening to music less for its own sake. I have managed to keep a pretty good level of basic fun and enjoyment for games and movies, though, and here's what I'm doing: I only buy games that I really think I'll enjoy playing, rent the others. I ONLY rent movies (what's the point of buying dozens of DVDs that you'll only turn on once?). I also try to restrict myself to purchases that will limit myself to 2-3 games in circulation of play at a time, usually of different genres (action, sports, adventure) so that I get variety but no title is interfering with my enjoyment of the others. For instance, a couple months ago I resolved to first finish Splinter Cell before I started Metal Gear Substance. Then I resolved to finish MGS2 before I started Otogi. Now, I plan on buying either Deus Ex 2 or Max Payne 2 AFTER (and only) I beat Otogi. All the while, I also have ESPN bball and some Panzer Dragoon Orta to fill in the gaps. That's it right now, a three game rotation, and I THINK I'm having fun.

Most of all, I'm trying to view all the tecnhology, the HDTV, the 5.1 speakers, as a means of delivering the artistry and content of the games and flicks effectively, and just savor how cool they look and sound, and not worry about eeking out every last bit of performance possible.

Alanna

Second Unit
I have over 130 "next gen" games across all three consoles. I have beaten... maybe six or seven of them. Many sit in shrinkwrap. Others have been opened but never played. The majority have two hours in (about one sitting for me) and I never go back to them. Why??? I don't know...

And I still want to buy more. It kills me that I don't have Ninja Gaiden yet but I've bought so many games in the past couple of months (like 30-40) it seems like a waste.. but I know I'll go stir crazy til I have it.

Games I tend to play to infinity are those that can never really be "beaten" like Dead Or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Animal Crossing and The Sims: Bustin Out (yea it can be beaten though).

Its weird though because GBA games I have more restraint. I won't buy another til I finish one... and this year so far have completed two: Breath of Fire 2 and (tonight!) Lunar Legend.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Project Gotham Racing 2 really made buying other games worthless to me.

I bought Rainbow 6 when it came out, and played on Live until Amped 2 came out. I played that until PGR2 came out (only a few weeks apart) and since then I haven't played anything else more than a couple hours a week if that.

I now have:
RS3
Amped 2 (nearly finished, but still worth more time)
Simpsons Road Rage
Return of the King
Crimson Skies
Pandora Tomorrow (soon)

all of which are great games worthy of more time, but I just can't bear to remove Gotham from the XBOX, it's too much fun.

... but I keep buying games I know are good, I just don't make time to play them.

In the back of my mind I still have Rallisport Challenge, both Buffy games, and even Munch's Odysee that I'd like to play to completion, but it's never going to happen.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I used to rent quite a lot, but there's the problem of having a fixed window to play your games in at that point. I'd rather buy em outright, and then go back to them if and when I ever feel like it. I also tried getting rid of games I was done with, but then ended up regretting it later when I'd want to go back to something for no reason in particular. For that reason, I've started hanging onto everything.

Plus, I like being able to lend stuff out (at least to people I trust). It's nice being able to share your library and impose your taste on others :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks