What's new

Buying DVDs on Ebay (1 Viewer)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
A couple things to look for:

as someone said, if it's Region 0, chances are it's bootleg.
If the subtitles include Malaysian, Thai, Chinese or Korean, chances are it's bootleg. Most Region 1 or Region 2 DVD's don't have these subtitles anywhere.

Look at the cover art carefully. Oftentimes they'll love to stick stuff like "Five Star" or "THX Certified" on there. that stuff's easy to check with, since Fox no longer does "Five Star" and there's a list of what those Five Star's are. Same thing with "Superbit" or "Collectors Edition" type stuff, these are labels they use to increase the idea that it's the real deal.

Keep a second window open, to either Amazon, or Deep Discount DVD, or whatever reputable online seller you use--all the CORRECT technical info will be on that site. Match it up with the ebay sale you're bidding on. if there's more than ONE discrepancy (and even ONE might be iffy) then chances are you're getting booted.

Also, trust your eyes. sometimes you can just TELL by looking. The art looks OFF somehow.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Most of the movies I've bought on eBay have been TV show boxed sets. I've never had a problem with any of them, but I guess are probably a little more difficult to bootleg.

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
A FB of 83% is not good. That means he got a neutral or neg almost 1 in 5 deals. I dont buy unless FB is 99%+ with at least 100 deals. The times I have violated this rule I have gotten burned.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've done lots of buying AND selling on eBay, and I've never really had any problems... primarily because I do lots of research up front. Check the seller's feedback. Ask questions before bidding.

Region 0? Yeah, that's pretty much always gonna be a bootleg. Removable Chinese subtitles? Same thing. Is it an out-of-print ("rare and oop") title that's just too cheap to be true? Yup, it's most likely a fake.

Just pay attention. You'll be fine.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i've bought one dvd from ebay and this was 2 weeks ago, it as mickey mouse in black in white, advertised as sealed and with the tin, so when i got it, it was sealed in the tin, the thing the auction failed to mention, was it was a CANADIAN region 1, which still plays the same as US region 1, so i wasn't screwed, but it was still something that should have been mentioned.

i am planning on getting the rest of my deep space nine dvds from ebay though

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
One other thing no one has mentioned:

Visit www.dvdpricesearch.com and confirm that the film in question has had a legit Region 1 DVD release.

A visit to that site would have revealed that F FOR FAKE never came out on DVD in the US.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Rob
Thanks for the link. I generally buy LDs off ebay and I have never heard of a bootleg LD.
I guess 83% is not a B+ on ebay, like I said there wasn't much time and I got outbid on the LD a couple of time.
The other time was for "Son of Dracula" with Ringo and Nilsson on VHS; I knew it was never out on LD or DVD. It was a horrible copy that wasn't watchable.
I guess I just better do my homework when it's not a Laserdisc

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
If Martin is correct and that's the guy. I think any reasonable person, once you read the feedback would avoid him. So now you know that you need to read the feedback (sorry, I sounded like my father).

I got burned on Half.com with a Superbit title....they guy claimed he didn't know it was a bootleg. I didn't get my money back and have only used half.com on a limited basis for amounts of money that I am willing to risk loosing.

The old adage rings true..." a few bad apples spoil the whole lot."

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought exactly one DVD from eBay, and it was legit (Goldeneye when it went out of print).

Definitally always check the seller rating. Even if they have 20 negative feedbacks, if they have 2000 sales then that's not way out of line in my opinion. However if someone has like 10 negatives out of 15 total sales, there's no way I would bid on that one.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just sold 5 DVD's on eBay yesterday and as a nice gesture on my part, I'm upgrading the shipping from Media to Priority with insurance, with no cost to them.

I've had nothing but good experiences with buying/selling on eBay and now I'm getting ready to sell my laser disc collection(325) and Pioneer DVL-700 player.

It's gonna be tough to part with 'em, but it'll be fun and a chance to make a few bucks! :D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Actually for the most part, so have I. THose 2 cases I mentioned were the exception and both were fairly cheap ~$10.
I sold off my GIJoes from my childhood without a problem and upgraded shipping etc on people who bought a lot. I was pissed the day my mom showed up with a huge box full of them - Victorians are not known for huge storage spaces. But considering the $$$$ - I changed my tune.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My problem with EBay is not getting the money when I'm selling. This has happened to me so much that I've basically washed my hands of all on-line auctions.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I have had only 1 bad transaction but others were perfect. Just bought Traffic criterion and armageddon criterion and have sold many dvds including the rare Splash dvd and Raw Deal dvd. I always include a picture of the actual dvd and never bid on a dvd unless it has a picture of the actual one.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

I've often wondered how people feel about that. I've sold a lot of DVDs on eBay, but since I don't have a digital camera I just include a cover scan from Amazon.com. I always try to make it clear if there's any damage in the description.

Are there others who won't buy without a photo of the item? I haven't noticing it hurting my sales any, but maybe it is.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac

First off, as a buyer, I think media mail sucks, unless you are only charging the actual shipping cost. If you give me a choice, I will choose Priority and gladly pay extra for it (actual shipping cost only). If there are multiple sellers selling the item I want, I give priority to the seller that offers the best shipping value (all other factors being equal). Those I deem overcharging on shipping, I do not even consider. It's kind of a principle thing I guess.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
I use the user name Ptaaty, just like on all the boards. Perfect 100% rating, 34 items (just random stuff). Never one problem either direction except one dead beat bidder, ebay reimbursed my listing fee and I resold it.

I think it is pretty easy to tell the good from the bad for the most part. I try to deal in the sub $50 only.

What has to make me laugh are those idiots who think they can get plasma TVs for peanuts...all you have to do is use this escrow service outside ebay....LOL

My big step of bravery will be getting a Home Theater Master MX-700 off ebay. Throwing caution to the wind!!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The majority of my eBay DVD purchases have been InetDvd auctions. The other handfull I've not been disappoint in. It is my VCD eBay winnings that have been very disappointing.

Keir H

Second Unit
I have had many successful transactions on ebay when buying used dvd's and generally most are pretty honest sellers. I did get smoked though when i failed to read all the fine print on a recent purchase of Pirates and the Caribbean. Got the movie in and knew right away.."bootleg copy!" soon as i opened it. No inserts and the cover was totally a redo since esp since it was in a case and not the foldout you get from the stores. Funny thing though it had 'dts digital sound' across the top as if it was dts only and it was rated R! what, this is a Disney movie! ...what a stinker..all i can do is laugh after getting pissed at myself for not looking closer as i usually do. I missed the initial BB sale and thought at 12 bucks I couldn't go wrong. Oh well I will be giving this one away..the video quality is dreaded but noone but myself can tell that. Good luck and beware..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks