What's new

Buying A Projector (1 Viewer)

Ruben M

Grip
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR WHOEVER CAN ANSWER. I'M THINKING ON BUYING A PROJECTOR.
IS THE SANYO PLV-Z2 A GOOD CHOICE FOR DVD USE ONLY GIVEN THAT DVD WORKS AT 480 LINES? WOULD IT BE A PROBLEM OR A WASTE KNOWING THAT THE PLV-Z2 HAS A RESOLUTION OF 1280 X 720?
OR SHOULD I BUY THE DLP AND LOWER RESOLUTION PROJECTORS LIKE NEC LT240K OR THE MITSUBISHI XD300U, WITH A RESOLUTION OF 1024 X 768 FOR 4:3 AND 1024 X 576 FOR 16:9 (BUT HIGHER CONTRAST AND LUMEN OUTPUT)?
IS THERE A BIG DIFERENCE BETWEEN THE DLP (1024 X 576) AND LCD (1280 X 720)?.....
I GUESS I HAD MORE THAN ONE QUESTION.....:b

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Don't get drawn in by specs especially using them to compare DLP's and LCD's. DLP projectors have film like looking picture quality. The colours are rich and vibrant.
This year some LCD projectors and DVD players are showing up with DVI inputs and outputs. The pictures are sharper and more video like.
You can still get the benefit of a HD DVD player like the Mommitsu v880 with the NEC and Sanyo.
DLP's have better contrast levels and the recommended ones are 4:3 projectors.
Current LCD's have eliminated the screen door effect and come in 16x9 formats.
Something I really hate and you might agree or disagree with me is Sanyos and I've read Panasonics as well have Dust Blob problems.
That's something I find unacceptable for a user potentially voiding 2 or 3 year old warranties to remove dust with a can of compressed air.
http://www.hubc.org.sg/MyWeb/Z1_dustblob_removal.asp
Just remember what ever you choose there's nothing like enjoying a film on a big screen. I have a two year old model NEC projector and the picture while not perfect has given me alot of enjoyment. I find myself fence sitting waiting to justify a new purchase.

Ruben M

Grip
I like the Sanyo because it would allow me to sit closer to the screen than the lower resolution DLP models. I'll be sitting at a distance of 1.5 or less the screen width, so i wouldn't like to see the pixels in the projected image. I also like the sanyo because, even though the contrast is not as high as in the DLP units (abaut 2000:1)it has an ok contrast ratio of 1300:1 wich is not bad at all.
What is special on that DVD player you wrote abaut?
How could the NEC with a resolution of 1024 x 576 benefit from an HD DVD delivering 720 lines? would not be the Sanyo be way better when resolution is what matters?

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes....side note.....if you tell yourself that LARGE caps don't mean anything then after a very short time it doesn't seem unusual at all.....The large caps (shouting) debate is a very interesting psychological matter that I plan on not thinking about for more than a minute or two. AS FOR THE POST, YEAH, PLAN FOR THE FUTURE OF HDTV. MY PLUS PIANO 3200 DOWN-CONVERTS 72Op AND 1080i TO 480p AND IT LOOKS FANTASTIC. IF I HAD PURCHASED THE OLDER 3100 MODEL I WOULD BE SHITE OUT OF LUCK AS NOBODY SAYS SINCE IT CANNOT DOWN-CONVERT. ANY PROJECTOR THAT EITHER DOWN-CONVERTS OR PROJECTS HDTV IN NATIVE RESOLUTION IS THE O N L Y WAY TO GO.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Z2 is a decent projector that projector central says rivals and even surpasses the Sharp 9000 dlp that cost around cdn$12000 just a couple of years back.

As for the added resolution, no problem, it will scale images to its native resolution and the pixel structure will be reduced as already mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks