What's new

Buster Keaton DVD's: Good quality? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I noticed that amazon.com has a good amount of Buster Keaton DVD's have been released....but is the quality good?
I have a 2-VHS set with Keaton shorts, but most of them are not in very good quality (one has nitrate decomposition throughout the film.)
Is there some great quality Buster Keaton DVD's out there?
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
The Keaton DVDs from Image and Kino range in quality from excellent to OK. In most cases I doubt if anything better exists on these titles.

GaryEA

Second Unit
The Image/Kino discs are made up from the same collection that was released in three VHS and LD boxsets.
As an owner of both the LD and the DVD's I can say they're definitely worth the money. The transfers and prints are of a good to great quality.
-g
p.s. Has Image/Kino released the Keaton discs in sets, like the LD's? I bought them separately, but alway thought it was odd that I never saw any box sets. Anyone know?
[Edited last by GaryEA on August 11, 2001 at 10:06 PM]

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i have never seen a boxset for these and would also recommend them if you are a keaton fan. as stated above, they range from good to excellent.
a
------------------
visit neverville

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The transfer of Go West was upgraded from the laserdisc set. The films don't look brand new, but you're not going to find them any better. IIRC, the features are taken from Buster's own prints.
The Arbuckle-Keaton shorts look surprisingly good, other than Moonshine, which is very dupey and looks like a blowup from 8mm. But I think that may be the sole surviving print so again you're not going to be able to trade up unless another print surfaces.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Kino collection on DVD is the best transfer available. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, if you are a Keaton fan. They haven't released a box set, to my knowledge.
Now if only we could get The Cameraman (restored) and Spite Marriage, I would be one happy camper.
cool.gif

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Alas, those two were for MGM, which means that Warner now owns them. Don't expect to see them in our lifetime.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks