What's new

Burton Refuses To Explain Apes Ending (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
----It wasn't well written, it wasn't well acted, it had a horrible ending, the makeup was good, some special effects were OK, and the film overall was not worth my money. I might sound arrogant to say so, but those are facts.-----
Sorry, stating that it is a fact doesn't make it so, you are still stating an opinion. I guess maybe I should not call the kettle black because I made a statement about "Scooby Doo" that Mr. Maynard took small issue with. :) By the way Chris, if you will allow me to use your first name, I still think that "Scooby Doo" was ONE of the single worst Saturday AM animated series ever inflicted upon young viewers. :D .....which has absolutely nothing to do with POTA. :crazy:
Smiley overload on this because I don't want you to think that I am being in any way sarcastic.....I'm not.

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE ALL COMPLETELY WRONG! :angry: :angry:
Here is why. First off if Plan........Ooooooh Carmel Corn!:)

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I guess maybe I should not call the kettle black because I made a statement about "Scooby Doo" that Mr. Maynard took small issue with. By the way Chris, if you will allow me to use your first name, I still think that "Scooby Doo" was ONE of the single worst Saturday AM animated series ever inflicted upon young viewers.
Please call me Chris.
I thought your opinion was stated so much better in this thread.
:)

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone remember "Escape From POTAs"? How stupid was that premise? That those apes found and rescued the ship from the lake, dried it out, got it to work, jetted off the exploding Earth, went back in time and landed on the shores of LA? BUT, people loved it! Me, too. Gotta love that ending where the camera pulls upward from the Cornellius and Zira. As far as the new Apes, it can't hold a candle to the original.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
MikeCD, I know. I hate, hated HATED all of the Apes sequels after "Beneath..."

Therefore, I didn't think Burton's film was so bad... in comparison. I enjoyed it when I saw it once when it came out. I'll have to check it out again to see if my opinion has changed.

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I liked much of "Escape". If you can swallow the premise. "Conquest" also had great moments. The last 20 minutes should be a study in composition, and the apes howling as the end credits roll is unbeatable. Forget "Battle" was ever made, that stunk from beginning to end. But throughout the Original Apes Saga, it was the ACTING by talented ACTORS that made the charactors believable, and talented directors who did so much with so little money. The shooting budget went down with each consecutive movie, unfortunately.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
As MIKECD pointed out above...an implausible plot point is nothing new to POTA films. I too found the logic leap in the original films of the returning vessel to be over the top. However, I eventually learned to accept that bump due to my love for the characters... the otherwise interesting and engaging writing (taking screen time expressing love for a character who isnt a part of the main plot any longer!?!)... and lastly .. of lower importance..my desire for an explanation of how things "came to be". That is Burton's biggest sin. In the new film... he has only the last listed point to hold my interest. And that is waning fast....

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Its funny how people feel they need to bring down the original POTA movie by slamming its sequels. Can't you compare POTA to New POTA. Most here will admit the sequels are not as good as the original POTA movie!

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
After doing some research... I found a site which may be interesting to those with questions regarding the ending. Go to www.planetoftheapes.com/main.asp... click "about the movie"... "ape insights"... "launch research project...".. this is a more detailed online version of the card enclosed with the home video release.... and it give many pieces of info in regards to the ending... stating them very plainly as apparent "fact"...even though this info wasn't given in the movie. And this is an offical FOX video site.

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
Its not just the ending of the new POTA thats bad, but the entire movie, except the special make-up effects, which will probably give Rick Baker another Oscar. It goes to show that you can't satisfyingly remake a great movie. Like why remake "Gone With The Wind" or "Casablanca" or "Citizen Kane"? You CAN remake a bad or mediocre film with more than satisfying results like "The Thing", "The Blob", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "The Fly" to name a few. Patrick Stewart could not top Gregory Peck in "Mobey Dick", that also was a waste. The new "Ocean's 11" might be, should be able to top the original.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
PotA 2001 was a good movie in my opinion. I loved the acting, the story, the special effects, the music and the FU ending that Tim Burton refuses to explain. THAT's why I like it. Was it as good as the original? No, but it was better than any of the sequals.

The following are also OPINIONS: I agree about remaking "Gone With The Wind," "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane". I know many people who think the original "The Thing" far surpasses the remake (I'm not one of them), the original "The Blob" was miles away better than the remake (which was still fun), ditto "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". The remake of "The Fly" was better than the original. Patrick Stewart was the equal of Gregory Peck in "Moby Dick," even if the rest of the cast wasn't.

See there, I disagree with virtually everything you said.

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
More style than substance is today's modus operandi. Witness "Final Fantasy", "Tomb Raider", and the like. But these kinds of films have been around a long time. "Willow", "Batmans" 3 & 4, ect. And music, Jeeze, that's a whole new thread. Sure, Britney is a fine POA, but pure bubble gum pop for pre-teens. Her and her like should name each new CD "I Know You Want To F**k Me, But You Can't, So Buy My CD, 'Cause That's All You're Going To Get From Me, Loser!" I'm definately of the late 60's, 70's group.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy were based on videogames. Tomb Raider was all about Lara Croft running around and shooting stuff and Final Fantasy was more about its themes than anything else (you had to look into it to get everything).

POTA 2001 just plain sucked. The makeup was good and the apes were well acted (even though only one really acted at all) but other than that, it was stupid. The apes looked good and their faces and movements were well done, but when they jumped, it looked cheesy. The storyline was also crap, mostly because it was not acted well by the human characters.

I would like to go into more detail, but overall, the film sucked, IMO.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Having just watched the movie, read the insert, and blah blah blah, we find outselves in a logical paradox.

Some ape recovers either Leo's pod, or a pod from the Oberon after it crashed. Goes through the timewarp, and lands on early Earth. Humans never bother to build the Oberon, and no genetically engineered Pericles goes through the warp to start ape civilization. Therefore, no ape goes back to early Earth, so humans evolve normally, build the Oberon, and wind up going through the timewarp, which results in an ape going to early earth, which results in no Oberon, which results in no genetically engineered monkies, which means no apes to go back to early Earth, which means Humans, which means Oberon, which means monkies, which means apes go to earth, which means no humans, which mean no Oberon, which means no monkies, which means no apes to go back in time, which means humans, which means Oberon......

You get the drift?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks