What's new

Burt Reynolds' SHARKY'S MACHINE (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Sharky's Machine is a gritty, hardboiled crime noir from 1981, photographed in Atlanta, Georgia by William A. Fraker and directed by its star Burt Reynolds. It has that 1970s vibe that you only find in police films of the period. Although a bit slow in getting started, the action and suspense are plentiful. As director Reynolds stages some bloody violence and strong confrontation scenes. Hes gives each actor their time, and the performances by Charles Durning, Vittoria Gasman, Brian Keith, Bernie Casey and a radiant Rachel Ward are excellent. Henry Silva is the scene stealer as an assassin with creepy powers of stealth and endurance. Sharky's Machine was a major release in 1981 from Orion. Warner Brothers paid the film no respect in a dim full-screen DVD transfer in 1999 or thereabouts. Many of the participants are still with us and could provide a commentary on a proper blu-ray transfer. Who else would like to see Warner Brothers release Sharky's Machine on blu?

SharkysMachine-1981-Orion-one.jpg

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
If I'm not mistaken, Time-Warner holds the rights to this 1981 film...if so, I'd like to see them release it either on the direct market or as part of their Warner Archives blu-ray program, if it hasn't been shelved by their higher-ups...

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Frankly, the Burt Reynolds film that I'd really like to see on Blu-ray before Sharky's Machine is Hooper.
That one never even got a widescreen DVD release, to my knowledge.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Kevin EK said:
Frankly, the Burt Reynolds film that I'd really like to see on Blu-ray before Sharky's Machine is Hooper.
That one never even got a widescreen DVD release, to my knowledge.
There's an anamorphic German R2 release unless PAL isn't your thing. German title is "Um Kopf und Kragen".
Both English and German audio, no subtitles of any kind.
Info: OFDB.de

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Sharky's Machine, Hooper, and Stroker Ace are all Warner films starring Burt Reynolds that were only released 4x3 on DVD. Blu upgrades would be much appreciated.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Growing up, a friend and I always use to quote the villain's accent in this movie. Almost like the director saw a bad Dracula movie prior to casting the bad guy, and told him..."no, I need more of a Transylvania accent there". Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it...

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I love "Sharky´s Machine". My favorite Burt Reynolds film. That movie is great in every aspect.

I own the "All Star Party for Burt Reynolds" from December 1981. Whole Hollywood paid tribute to Burt Reynolds.

Some of the "Sharky´s Machine" cast were there too and told some marvellous Reynolds anecdotes. Charles Durning, Brian Keith, Earl Holliman, Bernie Casey and even Henry Silva were there and said nice things about Burt.

I would buy a Blu-ray at once so please Warner release this great film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fans of this film are getting their wish. To keep from having two threads going at the same time, please continue the film discussion in this thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks