What's new

Burn On-Demand at amazon - Is this becoming bigger? (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Then they might as well not do it, I'd say it'd only make sense if they apply this to all the lesser known shows; so studios: give us access to buy rare stuff. My dream is they all one day open their archives - ala BBC (so far only online viewing though) in England plan to do - and let us pick and choose for private (DVD) home viewing purchase. By making it all available, it's a way of giving people history back, since TV has affected and shaped us no matter what it is.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Yes! I love the idea and totally agree with the history part. They, obviously, don't feel it is necessary to bother going through the trouble of releasing all of their rare shows on dvd and it would be too expensive anyway. But...to make them available on a BOD status would give focus on that niche market of classic tv enthusiasts. I mean, what else are they going to do with the shows. Doing nothing is like sitting on a profit. This way seems like the most cost-effective method to make any profit on what otherwise would be sitting on a shelf.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie

Exactly- but they do do that with other mediums...so my faith that they will do the sensible thing with TV shows is not high. Again, look at music- they flood every medium with the newest and most popular stuff- duplicating their efforts over and over....while one really has to ferret-out the old classic stuff. (especially if it's in a genre other than pop/rock)

It's as if they want to dictate to the public what they will watch/listen to. I would think that they were concerned with only propagating the newest, most popular stuff...but their is so much duplication of effort, that I'd say the market is beyond saturation with that- but yet they concentrate on that segment of the market, rather than taking advantage of demand for their "b" stuff.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
So true. But there's also another reason too, I think. People just don't seem to have the time or they don't care to take time to search for entertainment. Most of the general public seems to need stuff shoved in their face. Otherwise, they can't find it. You know how many times I've mentioned some classic show that I watch to someone and they say "What's that?" or they ask "How do you find this stuff?" or "I didn't know that was out on dvd". So help me, a younger college student that me and my boyfriend know actually asked us who Cyndi Lauper was?
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I guess it's a new generation. But I'm also not that old. I just turned 30. So for some stuff to already lose recognition among today's audience is strange to me.

However, I do feel the "duplication of effort" as Richie so accurately described it is definitely a flaw in the market. A re-release is fine but the second or third time they re-release something, it gets tired. You're like..."oh, that again" :laugh:

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Because halfway through the run, those good-selling shows are no longer good-selling. At some point the show is no longer selling enough for that particular studio to deem it profitable (or profitable enough to dedicate the resources to).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Then you are old, Robert. ;) To a 15-year old kid, all us here, we might as well be pensioners.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
:D Isn't it funny? As you get older, you realize how you're viewed and how you view yourself. I see a lot of great things about me yet to younger crowds, it may be deemed "uncool". The good thing is... you get older and don't care. You've already been through it. Now it's their turn. :laugh:

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

It's been 25 years since Cyndi had her big moment. So the kid wasn't even born when Cyndi burned out with the Rock and Wrestling connection.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
But he's gay and Cyndi is a huge gay icon. She's everywhere today on HRC posters promoting gay rights, "True Colors" tour, Pride parades. It was just baffling to me how he could ask who she is.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
:laugh: I like Bea too. Just started watching "Maude" with my boyfriend. He had never seen it before and we were laughing so hard.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H

I wonder if Arts Aliiance will continue to release the remaining seasons of Charles in Charge if they are selling so badly. I don't own any seasons but it makes me curious as to Gimme A Break. I doubt they would pick it up from Universal if Charles is doing so poorly. I can only hope VEI continues to release Gimme A Break. That's one show I would buy any way I have to to get the complete series.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Gimme a Break is one of the shows you can get (all 6 seasons) from Netflix. I have no idea about the running times on them, though.

For actual physical media, I believe VEI is this show's only hope.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen

The example I usually cite to support that is William Shatner. I'm 42, and to me and my brother who is a year younger he will always be Captain Kirk. To my 33 year old brother he's TJ Hooker. To my 28 year old brother he's the host of "Rescue 911". Then there's a whole other generation who think of either his Priceline commericals or "Boston Legal". The last group is unlikely to pick up "Star Trek" or "TJ Hooker" sets, for the most part.

As far as burn on demand it does make sense. I've always wanted to pick and choose certain episodes of long-running shows like "The Simpsons" and "Gunsmoke". It's pointless, to me at least, to have 20 seasons hanging around when you only want a few episodes from the later seasons.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I can't find any burn-on-demand at Amazon's web site and you can't burn the video-on-demand files to a disc. Where are they?

If this solves the problem of returns, then I'm all for it. I just want the content on a physical medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks