Building Floating Floor question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Peter Fols, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Peter Fols

Peter Fols Auditioning

I am going to build out my own Theater. I have been reading exrtensively on accoustics and the how tos. I am hoping someone in this forum could answer these questions.

Regarding the floating floor:
    I understand the reason for the floor. I also read however that it will stop sound travel from creeping up the walls and allow the base to fill the floor. In a how to site, it stated you should use isolation sway braces to attach to the top of the free floating wall to the bottom of the floor joists. It then says to srew the bottom of the free floating walls to the free floating floor. Here is my question, I thought that the reason for the floor was to ensure that the sound does not get lost to the wall?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I don't know where you read that info, but I would not use any sort of hard floor in a home theater. My first choice and only choice was carpet.

3. Peter Fols

Peter Fols Auditioning

I am with you on carpet, but that is not what I meant. When building the sub floor and trying to isolate the room, a floating floor is desirable.

4. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

What is the floor that you have now?

Putting a floating floor on a wood floor above other living space? You cold be inviting a resonance between the two floors, resulting in no improvement in isolation. Or, uneven sound deadening at various frequencies. Can you insulate the space between the floor joists?

There'd be no benefit to putting a floating floor on concrete. That concrete will block sound better than just about anything else.