What's new

Building a MP3 box (1 Viewer)

Brian Humpres

Auditioning
I just got the urge to build a computer just used to output MP3's to my receiver.
Lian-Li PC-31 case
Enermax 350W Power Supply
Asus CUSL2-C Black Pearl
Matrox G450 Dual Head
512MB Micron Memory
IBM 75GXP 60GB
Intel Pentium III 1000MHz
Pioneer Slot Load DVD
Sony TA-E9000ES
I would like a decent sound card to output a digital signal to my proseccor. Any idea?
Who's got the juice when it comes to clean audio?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I use a Hercules GameTheater XP on my MP3 server. It has more inputs and outputs than the current Soundblasters.
Here's a link Link Removed

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Dayum! I have an MP3-only machine, but its an AMD K6-2 450 and it runs just fine for MP3 playback. Don't waste all that money for a machine that you wont be able to take advantage of.

Brian Humpres

Auditioning
I really haven't wasted any money yet.
The pieces that kind of set me back were the case and Hard drive. Hard drive was $170 on ebay with MP3's already on it.
Case cost about $160.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I've certainly done the reverse: "Hmm, I have this extra RAM. All I need to buy to get a whole computer is...."
As for the blurry TV output, are you using 640x480 on the TV output for the DualHead? You're not going to get more than 480 lines for computer output on a conventional TV -- anything more would have to be down-converted.
//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks