What's new

Build or buy subwoofer help? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Let me state that I love DIY stuff and have always considered building speakers, amps etc. I have recently made all new cables for my new B&K AVR 307. I'm still waiting for that to arrive so I don't even know how good the cables are. Anyway...
I'm considering buying a Velodyne HGS-12 sub. It is expensive but I really like the power, size and sound of it w/ music and HT.
Can something similar be built that would be almost/just as good as that one? It has to be small or SWMBO will freak. She already thinks I'm nuts for spending so much on the B&K.
If this is possible, where do I start? I have almost every tool needed to do most anything. My current woodworking project is a cherry china cabinet w/ dovetails and fancy curves etc. Once that's build I can do the sub. You know, one for her, one for me.
Thanks,
Rob

William Horst

Auditioning
This not about DIY subs, but I have a Velodyne sub that is about 4 years old and I love it. I bought it used and got a really good deal. It isnt nearly as powerful aswhat you are getting. It is a 12", but I never turn the level on the sub above 5. It really does a nice job.
Will..

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
For an DIY project it is a balance between budget and time and what is worthwhile to a particular individual. I make most of my cables and interconnect. I have few that I bought (and still use) that given the time and budget to order and try different things that I might be able to top. Since I don't have the time at the present I am not pursuing it. If I had the time then it would be a question of whether I would rather do that vs. enjoy doing other things. In short, it is always a careful balancing act that will have different answers for different people. You may find on the 1st attempt that you end up with something that is good but not as good as what you could have bought as well.
------------------

JerryD

Grip
Subwoofers are one of the greatest areas of oportunity for DIYers. If you use a proven design, it is quite easy to surpass the performance you could get by spending the same amount of money on a commercial product. However, making it small is the difficult part. Most all commercial designs are compromised sonically to make them smaller. How big is the Velodyne HGS-12? Woodworking skills will make some additional options available to you. A sub can be made to look like a coffee table or an end table. This can allow the internal volume needed to make a great sounding sub. One other option is to do an isobaric design using two drivers. This roughly halves the size of the required box, but is less efficient (needs a bigger amplifier). Keep asking your questions. There is a lot of good help on this forum.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
The HGS-12 is a 12" forward firing woofer powered by a 1250watt (3000 peak) amp. 19lb magnet and less than 1% distortion. All packed in a nice neat 14" cube.
This is from : http://www.velodyne.com/pages/productsp/hgs_series.html
I've found it for about $1300.
If something similar can be built I love to build it myself.
I like a nice tight, fast bass that would be very musical as well as great for HT.
Thanks for the help,
Rob

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Just a follow up on the excellent suggestions already given: the nice thing about DIY is that you can customize the sub to the exact requirements you need such as size, looks, and performance.
First you may want to decide if you want a sealed, ported or passive radiator design.
Then decide on the total budget including materials, driver, amp and finishing materials.
Pick a driver best suited to the size and type of enclosure you have decided to build. There are several free programs to help you decide how the driver is going to perform in your enclosure such as WINISD.
Buy the materials, build the enclosure, and enjoy. (simplified a bit).
If you want to play it safe there are several proven designs out there that you can use. Several are on the Adire Audio Shiva White Paper (if you want to use their drivers)
The nice thing about DIY is that you save money, can customize the sound and looks to your liking, and the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.
------------------Insant Messenger Name: kyler70

Anthony F.

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look here first. With your wood working ability you should have no problem with construction. Some of the more seasoned members can help with how to make it small and sound good. I found that building my sub was the most rewarding DIY project I've ever done. I HIGHLY recommend building your own.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
for what its worth, here are some more IB sub pics. IB subs arnt small, per say, but nothing beats there bang for the buck performance if you have a house that can make it work. one important thing that should be pointed out 0 floor space required. high SAF! :)
my 2 tempest IB is featured here also.
http://klone-audio.virtualave.net/page100.html
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks