What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 2 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just to slide slightly off topic, I watch Gilmore Girls in HD and at least the S6 episodes are shown in widescreen. The only problem is that you can tell that the shots are composed for 4x3 and there's just 'empty space' on the sides. I can only imagine that Buffy would look the same way in 16x9. Sure, you're seeing more but it's not hard to realize that it's stuff that isn't intended to be seen.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'll say this last thing and then i'll put myself back on track. ;)

It's funny you mentioned Gilmore Girls, Travis, I have a projector with zero percent overscan and while watching the first and second season dvd's, I noticed on more than a couple of occasions the boom mike at the top of the screen.

I would like to know the true ratio of that show, 4x3 or 16x9? Hmmm...

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Watch the wiplash as I attempt to pull this thread back on topic... :laugh:

Reptile Boy:

This episode is pretty much touted as one of the series’ worst.

I loved the scene where Willow finally snaps and yells at Giles and Angel. Another step toward her gaining some inner strength as the series progressed.

I listened to the commentary track and feel a little better toward this episode. I guess hearing the guy who directed it call some of the stuff cheesy, sort of makes it more palatable. Also, hearing a little bit about the time and budget constraints when filming make some of the cheese make sense.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
David Greenwalt's "Reptile Boy" commentary is considered to be the dullest of all the sets, but at the very least, being co-showrunner with Whedon at the time, as well as co-creator of ANGEL, he knows what he's talking about.

If he himself said it's cheesy, (been a few years since I listened to the commentary) I believe it.

oh, and viewing ANGEL S2 on my LCD computer monitor - meaning NO overscan, makes the faux wide image and empty space more apparent than on any TV.

Had to sneak that one in there....:D

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's funny - seeing him in interviews on both series sets, he's very informative, but he's not good at commentaries. The ANGEL pilot at least has Whedon there with him making their conversation a fun listen.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Halloween:

After 2 somewhat weak episodes, I was glad to watch this one. It had some fun and showed a few things about the characters that we didn’t know.

Giles can be quite the bad ass as we find out there might be more to him than we know.

Allyson Hannigan shows us she works out. It is hard to believe how buff she looked across the mid-section.

I have to once again point out that Spike is just a big wimp in the early seasons. All talk, no action. He again runs away from a fight once he looses his advantage. What a big sissy boy. It is a good thing they developed his character in the subsequent seasons. He isn’t very threatening in this one.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Have we suddenly started watching the show really fast. I thought it was a disc a week and am still on last episode of Season 1 ?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Do you guys want to stop after disc 2 and wait for the others to catch up?

I don't mind.

Maybe we should go back to 1 disc a week.

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

I am still on the episode "The Puppet Show".:) I'll catch up sooner or later...

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Does any one have "The Chosen" Collection? I'm curious to know how Season 2 - 7 have the episodes laid out on the discs. I noticed a difference between the original box sets and the new slim sets. In the original box sets the order goes like this: 4-4-3-4-4-3 but on the slim sets it is 4-4-4-4-4-2.

Which lay out does the "The Chosen" collection have?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
the Chosen Collection discs are exactly the same as the individual seasons, same artwork on the disc, the menus, layout, design, etc.. are just the same, Basically it's as if Fox pressed a bunch of season sets and threw out the digipacks.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
So, the number of episodes per disc are the same as the original seasons? Disc 1, 2, 4 & 5 have 4 episodes per disc and Disc 3 & 6 have 3 episodes per disc? That's what you are saying, right?

Because on the new slim sets Disc 1 - 5 have 4 episodes per disc and Disc 6 has 2 episodes on the disc.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Both the 'Chosen Collection' and the new slimcase releases have the exact same discs as the original digipak releases. No difference in content, number of episodes per disc, or anything else whatsoever.

'Chosen Collection' has an additional bonus disc, but that has nothing at all to do with the season discs.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Lie to Me:

The first appearance of Chantarelle. We see her again in “Anne” and in the Angel series as the operator of a youth community center. She sure gets around. Lol

What I found the funniest in this episode was that Spike actually kept his word and changes Ford. I guess he honored his agreement. Too bad it only worked for Ford for 3 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks