What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' Season 1 dvd challenge! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Buffy is basically a mixture of both. The plots tend toward the Monster-of-the-Week variety but the character arcs are very serialized. For about the first season and a half the teaser is usually the setup for the MOTW but then it switches over to almost always starting with the Scoobies right from the get go.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
For those of you, like me, who haven't watched Buffy, Walmart currently has a large display selling every season for $29.95 each.

Pretty good deal...

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

That is a good deal. Are those the original sets or the new slim sets? I picked up the new Season 4 slim set at Best Buy yesterday for $32.99. My collection is now complete!

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator

Well, I am not entirely against MOTW, amongst my all-time favorite shows are X-Files, Hercules, and Xena; all three were episodic. I guess my beef with Smallville was more that it was junk.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just picked up seasons's 3, 4 and 5 in the new slim sets that came out Tuesday, I love these little sets, they have the exact same content as the bigger original sets but these new cases are more compact and match the depth of the first season box. :emoji_thumbsup: That always sort of bothered me that the other seasons were deeper because they didn't match when they were lined up on a shelf.

I know, i'm a nit-picker. :D

The first and second season I recieved as a gift from Wendy (thank you! ;)) with the first season being the original release, so now all I need are season's 6 and 7 which i'll get next week and my Buffy collection will FINALLY be complete after all these years lol.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
The worst are the ones that stack two discs. Anyone here have Hercules/Xena from seasons 4 onward? It is like the old fold-out style, except that each frame of the fold-out holds two overlapping discs. Irritating!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
What EXACTLY do these new cases look like/resemble?

Are they a form of slimmer digipak?

Are they slim thinpaks, like the FIREFLY DVD set?

Are they those book - type cases, like the CSI and DS9 sets?

All the various descriptions have confused me...a lot.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nicholas, all they are are thinner versions of a regular amaray case. Each season, except the first, contains three of these cases with two discs each in them. The artwork on the outer slip-box is identical to the artwork on the bigger original releases.

I tried to find a pic of them but I can only find pics of the original boxes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Teachers Pet

Ya know, I read what all of you have said about this episode, but I just can't dislike it...it's just plain silly, but silly is good in this case IMO. The episode did reveal one thing, even when danger and death are eminant, Xander holds it together and doesn't panic lol. One of the amazing charms of this show is it's ability to show us truly outrageous things, things that would cause an immediate change of the channel if it were a lesser show, but instead has us throwing up our hands and saying "Yeah, cool, the teacher's a giant bug, I can see that, absolutely."

In the Whedon universe, little is questioned from me because I know that he's just playin' around, like a kid who's found a camera and wants to play with it. Whatever shortcomings these early eps have, I dismiss them because it's still early and the show is finding it's way, but to be honest, if the entire series were this silly, I would probably still watch it because I just love the characters and the crazy situations they find themselves in.

Still, this first of many instances where Xander is played as the put-upon guy, the Charlie Brown, the self proclaimed "butt monkey" of the group who always seems to find the worst kind of trouble, just makes me feel so bad for the poor guy lol.

I like this episode, it's fun, silly as all hell i'll grant you but like I said silly is good sometimes. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

So they are like the Firefly sets, but with 2 discs in each case.

Thanks.

That description alone makes me think I should trade up in the event that ANGEL is released the same way.

I hate digipaks, and would gladly get rid of them.

I'm not going to be commenting on each episode specifically review-style. I'd rather see what y'all are saying, then reply.

I like the first season episodes - they are all pretty much the same in terms of quality for me. Besides, how could I not like something written by David Greenwalt?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

This is true. I guess I come across a little hard on this episode because I wanted to make sure the new watchers aren't scared away after watching this episode.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen them in stores here, but if you are saying Fox has put bilingual packaging on its TV DVDs in Canada now....well kiss my ass Fox.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
No in all the cases I've seen with Fox their Canadian releases have an extra slip cover with french on it, but the actual packaging is in english. Check for that Pheonix. (At least they did this with the re-relases of The X-Files & The Simpsons releases)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Can we please take the packaging discussions to another thread?

We want to keep this thread about the show.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks