What's new

Buffy Season 3 problems ? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My player is in auto mode, but I don't think it's "smart" enough to read the cadences from the data stream. If it's dropping into video mode, it's because the disc is flagged that way. (The player is a Panasonic H1000, BTW.)

I haven't watched any of the Friends discs, but from your description, it sounds like flagging the entire disc for video mode wouldn't be an ideal solution either, because of the softness and shimmering.

M.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting... I will get season 3 and see... There are combs aplenty in the Season 1 and 2 boxsets so I usually watch them in VIDEO mode.
Funny how my old Star Trek OS discs look better than about all newer "shot on Film" series... Ahhh, the days of editing on Film....
I have read that all the FX on TNG look terrible due to the VIDEO origin, hence the jagginess and the shimmers!
:) D

StevenJ

Stunt Coordinator
It is really no big deal if one of the twenty four episodes has a different theme song!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's on the first TWO! episodes actually.
The problem goes away in episode 3.
I think it's a problem, because the credits match the sound in the song, and it doesn't match up now with the old song used.
Also, why did Spike get his own disc? He's in 1 episode this season. And why are Spike and Drusilla on the booklet inside? Drusilla's not even in this season!
Also, my disc arrived, and 2 were out of the box, floating around in there.
This is easily the biggest problem FOX has given us with the discs, and while they're not that big, it's a real kick to fans. :frowning:
I can deal with Spike being on the box (he's such a fan favorite it would seem), but the music differences is just wrong. Sadly I doubt we'll ever see any kind of recall. Perhaps like TRIANGLE on the X-files sets, we can maybe get Fox to do some kind of switch with the 1st disc. (despite the fact that we don't even know if they'll do that for season 6 of the x-files yet...
Grrrr Arrrg indeed.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Now what is getting me ticked off is that the region 2 version has the correct theme so this was deliberately changed for the US release and i'd like to know why.
There was a timing issue with the first theme. The Nerf Herder theme in earlier seasons had a tempo issue, which was later re-recorded. It is truly noticable, the drummer pulls the beat and cacophony ensues mid-way.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Michael Reuben, actually the Panasonic H1000 is one of the few players that does cadence 'reading', in addition to flag reading. Check the Hifi Secrets site, I think you have to use Auto2 to get it.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
No, there's no update. The end of my post states that there's been no word from FOX about any kind of recall.
But the most large problems with the sound is...
A scream from Amy's mother is heard, not seen (season 2)
The theme ends too soon on ANNE, and thankfully just right on Dead Man's Party, but it's still the wrong song...
The whole thing is wrong, and I really am upset about this. :frowning:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Uh, I just wanted to ask what the OAR on Buffy Season 3 is. I went to go check out the price and found it was about 50 bucks (48 actually but there's tax to include :frowning: ) and read the back of the box. It said: Full Frame Modified to fit your screen. What does that mean?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Buffy Season Three is correctly framed at 4:3. They were not even protecting for widescreen until Season Four (they may have experimented with it a little on Season Three, but nothing across the board). The box text is confusing, but the presentation is correct. Best Buy and Costco have it for $40 plus tax this week.

Regards,

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
My only problem with this set is these stupid Digipacks - of course when I got home and opened the set up I found that the first disk had already fallen off its holder and was extremely scratched, so now I get to make another trip back to BB tomorrow. (But I did swipe the coupon for $3 off the BTVS S2 set, which I hadn't picked up yet because I have the R2 version of it, so I'll get that at BB tomorrow).

Not to mention the fact that, if I get an urge to watch a specific episode (and dont recall the exact episode #) I have to unfold the whole damn digipack and flip through the book real quick (and I'm as big a Buffy fan as they come - but off the top of my head I can't tell you what exact episode number "Amends" is in S3, for example). But, hey, thet shouldn't be much of a problem considering the fact that every time you unfold more than 2 panels of the digipack the book spills out anyway!

Man, if they had taken the graphics / color scheme / general presentation of this set and combined it with the perfected R2 Book style set, I'd be the happiest Buffy fan around. But you can't always get what you want, can you?

Oh well, at least we BTVS fans are lucky enough to have our show on DVD (and the set was really selling at Best Buy today)!

JQ

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
People actually watch the intro and end credits on dvd's? I just skip through them since they are on EVERY episode and I already know what I'm watching...

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
THe opening credits kinda get me in the mood. My friend and I have a ritual where we play air guitar and drums to the intro :D . A little geeky? Yes, but very cool.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don;t
I'll watch openings I like for most of the eps, like the opening to Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight is stunning. Alias will ABSOLUTELY get a chapter skip every time :) Simpsons has different couch gags and blackboard every time in the OP.
With Buffy, I just get out my guitar and jam along :) WHo ever knew 3 power chords could be so much fun? :)

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem as Jason today. I bought the set at FYE this afternoon, and when I finally opened it up, disc 2 had fallen out and gotten extremely scratched (it wouldn't play the last episode on the disc). I just took it back to the mall, and thankfully I thought to open up the new one I exchanged it for while I was still in the store, and guess what? Disc 1 had fallen off and gotten badly scratched. The manager let me swap out the scratched discs for new ones, so I've finally got a good (at least unscathed) set.

JerryB

Grip
I'm a member of the scratched disc club as well. Season 3 goes back to Amazon for a replacement. Has it ever been said why R1 doesn't use the R2 packaging? Is it cost? Please, charge me a couple of more dollars for sturdier packaging. I really like the redesigned book packaging that Angel and Buffy use in R2. It's slimmer and just looks cooler. Too bad they don't sell just the empty cases in R2. I'm getting tired of the DVDs coming off the hub in shipping. I had good luck with S2, but S1 was a nightmare of scratched discs and replacements. Funny thing is is that I ordered Season 1 Buffy (in the cross shaped packaging) from R2 and the discs all arrived on their hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks