What's new

Buffy Season 1: Any Spoilers in Special Features? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Reading the above link about the rather sordid Jeff Pruitt tale and found this comment from Joss about the Matrix similarities in Primevil:

Seems like Joss wasn't too happy with the obvious similarity in footage.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Pretty much all the stunt doubles in Buffy are very obvious. I thought the worst was the guy they had for Spike -- very bad hair. And for a real bad one-shot, watch the fight scene in Earshot where the rotund cafeteria lady becomes svelte and muscular during the fight.

In Angel, the stunt doubles are not so obvious, though they are easily spotted now and then.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Usually I don't care enough to try to catch the stunt doubles, but this one was so blatantly obvious! Everytime they cut to a wide shot, it's a stunt double of David with a totally different body type and even different hairline!

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Any issues about moving forward with Angel Season 3 without watching Buffy S6?

I've only got two episodes to go in Angel S2 and my Buffy S6 has yet to arrive but I've got Angel S3 & S4 on hand. That's what I get for accidentally selecting free shipping with DDD. I guess they must send it media mail.

I'm loving Angel S2. Up there with Buffy S2&3 and even better in some respects.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't see any issues. Especially considering that Buffy had moved to UPN, and no crossovers were allowed (with one special exception). Watch Angel S3. It's fantastic.

Take care,
Chuck

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, there's an episode early on in Angel S3 that might spoil something that is very well known about Season 6 (the fact that Buffy is alive again), but other than that, it's safe.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Chuck and Ray. That's what I figured.

Angel Season 2 has really addressed all of my complaints with Buffy wrt overall plotting, pacing, and structure. Character work has maybe been not quite at the level of Buffy due to the focus on the story-arc but it's damn close.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Grrr! Arrgh!! Buffy Season 6 (and 7) just showed up in the mail. Now I have no idea which season I'm going to watch next. My gut tells me I'll probably like Angel better but alternating sets is probably the way to go.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

so sue me. I don't see what I've said that anyone who knows even the very minimal things to know.

So I revealed a certain actress on Angel was pregnant during a certain season? whoop-de-doo!! There are people who have never ever seen Sex And The City who knew there was a season where Sarah Jessica Parker was pregnant, not exactly a spoiler.

So I gave away (without anything specific without using spoiler keys) that the series finale of either show wasn't exactly along the lines of a baby/wedding style finale like Friends did, don't you think after seeing 5 seasons of Buffy and 2 of Angel that Buffy isn't going to end with Buffy having Xander's baby or that Angel isn't going to end with Angel and Fred walking down the aisle. I think you only need to see two episodes of either show to realize that the shows were going to wrap epically, HARDLY a spoiler.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
here are things I knew about Buffy before I watched the show starting in season 6 (also when FX started showing the reruns and the DVD's started coming out) since I got attacked for revealing things as base and mundane as that an actress gets pregnant in real life...

Buffy dies briefly after an encounter with The Master
Angelus

Jenny Calendar's death

Oz = werewolf

Sunnydale High is demolished
Spike gets a chip

Willow is a lesbian

Buffy's mom dies

Buffy herself dies

I knew all of these were coming before I saw the said episodes they happened in, and you know... it didn't stop it from becoming my favorite show

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Hello, spoiler = very simple concept. Whether YOU consider it a "big" spoiler or not, doesn't make it not one.

It would have been a spoiler for me about 2 months ago. Some of us don't channel flip or keep up on entertainment news and stay blissfully ignorant of plot developments on shows we don't watch! :D

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know Charisma Carpenter was pregnant and left the series after Season 4 until a week or so ago. I found out through another source though so it wasn't Jay's fault but I agree with the sentiment- just knowing whether an actor or actress is on a show during a given season certainly constitutes a spoiler. For example I inadvertently found out thatTara dies in Season 6
by reading that person's IMDB page.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Jay_B, about three of your posts on Page 2 of this thread were far too spoilerized. "You're about to see" and "the ending of Buffy" are pretty good indications that it's stuff you shouldn't be discussing without spoiler tags.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit

Well, I'm not sure you could say he was lying, and that got him fired. I was an active member of the Bronze community at the time and all that shit didn't start coming out until AFTER Jeff had been fired. I think it basically came down to some personality conflicts between Jeff and the Star of the show, and some directors who felt Jeff was stepping on their toes when he'd try and set up shots for fight scenes. It's a shame it went down like that in such an ugly and public fashion, and it's also a shame that the stunts for the show took a nose dive after Pruitt was gone.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Gotta disagree there. I'm enjoying the stunt work in Seasons 5 & 6 more than the previous seasons, primarily because its blended better. The stuntwork was great in Seasons 2-4 but the stunt doubles were so obvious it took me out of the scenes. Maybe its just better editing in the later seasons though.

Just watched "Once More With Feeling"- again, where is Wheedon's damn Emmy??? The lack even a nomination for this and "The Body" are just unforgivable.

I know Season 6 is supposedly framed for 4x3 but I can't help but wonder if all of the directors got the memo. I've noticed numerous shots in the first six episodes that have significant objects objects or characters in the foreground clipped by the edge of the frame as well as several shot compositions that seem abnormally cramped. I never noticed this issue in the first five seasons.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit

Yeah, the editing got better, but the fight scenes got unnecessarily acrobatic and kinda gimmicky. 3 years of fast HK style fights kinda spoiled me. Buffy cartwheeling into some guy for no apparent reason just seemed lame.

Angel's fight scenes, on the other hand, were awesome through the entire series.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

That was Jeff Pruitt. I could be misjudging, but I gathered from Pruitt's statements about his work that he's kind of bitter that stunt doubles get overshadowed by stars so often, so when he worked on Buffy he wasn't at all bothered about hiding the stunt doubles. He wanted you to know that it was he and his wife doing that fight, not those pantywaists SMG and Boreanaz :)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I would alternate between Angel S4 and Buffy S7. Do disc for disc if you can. Just trust me on this. There is a storyline on Angel that happens there first and then sort of picks up on Buffy. I'd say more but after reading this thread I fear being tarred and feathered if I accidently left a spoiler. (JMO, hard to keep spoilers out of thread when the show has been off the air for over a year now).

I'm actually about to watch Angel S4 myself. I've seen all of Buffy but missed most of S4 and the last half of S5 of Angel.

the same could be said for me. It is one of my all-time favorite shows and one of the few I plan on owing on DVD. (I have S1, S5-S6). And S5 was my favorite and I loved ALL the seasons...even S7.

BTW, what is DDD? I've seen that mentioned so many times and it's driving me nuts!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
DDD = deepdiscountdvd.com

It just had a big 20% off sale and many of us partook and it was good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks