Buffy Season 1: Any Spoilers in Special Features?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kevin Grey, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Just watched that one and, god help me, I enjoyed it. SMG looked like she was having way too much fun with it.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

just thought i'd give a heads up in case anybody is unaware-
    DDD is currently having one of their twice a year 20% off sales, so its a great time to stock up on season sets like Buffy or Angel

3. Kevin Grey

Paul, does that require a coupon code or anything? I didn't see any mention of the 20% on their front page and its hard for me to tell if its 20% off of what they already list since their normal prices are almost always already less than MSRP.

4. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

I don't really get the "Beer Bad" hate, that episode cracked me up the first time I saw it, and I still feel great affection for it. At the very least, after week upon week of having to watch Buffy mope about stupid Parker, I found the ending incredibly satisfying. (In dvd-time, Parker is a blip. In original broadcast-time, it seemed to go on forever and ever and ever.)

edited to add -- Just wanted to weigh in on the question about Buffy/Angel crossovers. I think it's important to see Angel S1 during or after Buffy S4 because the crossovers had a lot of character development. Aside from the Buffy/Angel relationship, there's another character that has a terrific arc which begins on one show and ends on the other, and whose behavior in a later season wouldn't make much sense if you missed one half of that arc. (Hope that's oblique yet informative)

5. Kevin Grey

Let me just say how much I love Spike...er in a strictly, platonic, he's a great character sort of way.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I feel the opposite about the arcs. Angel season 4 seemed to be an example of a show that didn't quite know where to go because of Charisma's pregnancy. It seemed like they kept just changing "big bads" and shifting the entire focus of the season (I will not get more specific because I know Kevin's not that far into the show).

Also, I was disapointed in the fact that Angel didn't really have an ending, we don't know who survived, who perished, WHO WON in the final battle (making it as vague as possible to those who haven't seen it yet). At least with Buffy, the last 10 minutes of the finale really felt "yep, this is a good way to end", whereas with Angel, it was as if the last episode was a cliffhanger season finale type, except there wasn't going to be a next season.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You've already been far too specific.

--
    H

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Kevin, Look in the coupons and bargains section of this forum.
    there are a half dozen codes available for use (you can only use each code once) and 20% will be deducted off of the regular sale price (not msrp).
    SUMMERSALE is one of 'em.
    i think the majority of Angel and Buffy sets come out to about $32 each with the sale (at least thats what i paid last sale)

9. Kevin Grey

Heh, I read the first sentence and thought "whoa, better skip this post!"

10. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

so Charisma Carpenter got pregnant IN REAL LIFE is a spoiler? All one has to do is look up her IMDB profile and they'd see she gave birth to a baby.

wow, the shows end in battle, what a spoiler. Like anyone really thought the last episode of Buffy would just be a tearful wedding episode with Buffy saying goodbye to her friends in Sunnydale and somebody winds up giving birth to a baby and the cast winds up with one final hug before going their seperate ways, yeah right.

Anyways, when I started watching Buffy in season 6, I knew all about Angel turning evil in season 2, and I also knew the event that happened at the end of season 5. Yet... I was still able to get into those shows despite knowing what's coming up.

11. Kevin Grey

? So far I like him just fine.

12. Josh-F

Josh-F Auditioning

Kavin, how are you liking ANGEL Season one so far?

13. Kevin Grey

I'm enjoying Angel very much. It definitely has a different, more "adult" feel than Buffy and (about halfway through the first season) you can tell they are still experimenting with the right formula. However, that great dialogue and humor from Buffy is in full form in Angel.

Angel has always been a pretty fascinating character and Cordelia was one of my favorites since the end of the first season of Buffy so I very much welcome her increased screentime. I was a bit sorry to see Doyle go. I liked his character even though he didn't seem to have that same "spark" that instantly defines so many of the primary and second characters from Joss and his team. Be interesting to see what a different dimension Wesley "Rogue Demon Hunter" Wyndam Price brings.

14. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

What's a Rogue Demon ? [​IMG]

15. Kevin Grey

Didn't care for "Superstar" at all. Better concept than execution IMO. The whole thing was just "off." Probably my least favorite episode of the entire series so far.

Probably wouldn't have bothered me earlier in the season, but at Episode 16 when things are starting to gain momentum it just brought everything to a screeching halt.

16. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I agree about Superstar. In a weekly series, though, something like that works better.

1) Riley never bothered me much. I didn't like some of the S5 choices at all...some uneven writing.

2) I liked Doyle. More than Wesley, who I know is a popular favorite.

Flame on,
    Chuck

17. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Angel's finale
    Regarding Angel's Finale. They had time to write a series finale. They chose to have it end on a "cliffhanger" because that was the message of the show. You don't fight for rewards. You do it cause it's the right thing to do. Angel and Co. will always keep fighting. It doesn't matter who survived. Whoever did will still keep fighting in the future.

18. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Funny, I didn't like him at first, but when he got away from the 'monsters bad, people good, me soldier obey' attitude, I found I actually kind of liked him. In later seasons I found myself wanting him back. We just finished Buffy a few days ago, and honestly, S4 with Riley was the last REALLY good season of Buffy IMO. Yeah the big bad was dumb but the season itself was OK. I didn't like S5-7 nearly as much IMO although they were still good.

Beer bad - I guess me and my wife probably got some more twisted amusement out of this than others. Since she stopped drinking (she did some very dumb things when she was) I guess the drunk = caveman was very funny.

Nowhere near as bad as quite a bit of the S1 stuff.

19. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

I didn't think Beer Bad was so awful, either. In fact, I thought it was quite amusing.

The ep in that season that was a REAL stinker was Where The Wild Things Are. One of the very few Buffy episodes that had absolutely no redeeming quality, IMO. At least most of the other handful of bad ones did have something to like.

20. Kevin Grey

I thought the Anya/Xander "The only thing we have in common is that we both like your penis" exchange almost redeemed the episode, along with the gang's reaction to Giles new "hobby."