What's new

Buffy Season 1: Any Spoilers in Special Features? (1 Viewer)

SheriA

Auditioning
Well I am new here but have been a huge Buffy fan since the day it aired on tv. However, I have to count myself among those that started watching Angel but fell off during Season 1. Have to admit I just couldn't get into it. And since Cordy was never one of my favorite characters that made it even more difficult. I didn't mind her as a secondary character but the thought of having her be a central focus turned me off of the show a little. Eventually I found myself watching it for the theme song (loved that haunting melody) and then I would switch channels. But after reading this thread I am wondering if I should give it another chance. Sounds like Season 1 was a little bit of a slow-starter. However, one of the things I loved most about Buffy was the humor. Season 1 of Angel really seemed to be lacking in that department. Does it ever show up or is the show on the whole dark with very little light side.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Her character goes through a fundamental shift in the Angel series, for the better. I agree, if she remained the spoiled brat it would be very old, but she went through some major personal growth experiences in that show.

The humor is definitely there too, though in comparison to Buffy it may have fewer of those moments.

I have a much harder time deciding which series I prefer. It's a "Sophie's Choice" kind of hard :)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

You thought Season 1 was lacking in humor? Personally, I thought the humor was actually what saved quite a few of the lackluster episodes.

Humor continues to play a role throughout but as events turn more serious then the humor quotient will definitely go down a bit but never go away.

Definitely give Angel another try. Season One really isn't very indicative of where the show goes in later seasons.

Also, the Angel ensemble expands *dramatically* as time goes on and by Season 4 is every bit of an an ensemble effort that Buffy is.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I concur with Kevin. SheriA, if you are a true "Buffy" fan then I think you really should give "Angel" another try. The storyline just gets more and more interesting. The humor is definitely there but it is different from Buffy. Whereas Buffy was known for her witty puns and one-liners some of the humor on "Angel" comes from inside humor and tongue-in-cheek humor.

WRT Cordy, her character definitely does grow and definitely becomes a more likeable character. It actually happens midway thru the 1st season.

Also, they introduce some new characters on "Angel" that, IMO, are very cool. One becomes my favorite character. I'm talking about Fred - I just love her
. And Wesley is so much cooler on "Angel" then he ever was on "Buffy". He actually becomes quite sexy. ;)

Trust us, SheriA, you really need to give it another try. I don't think you will be sorry.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
All this love for the shows makes me want to abandon my X-Files jag and watch them instead!

SheriA

Auditioning
*sigh* I guess I need to invest in some Angel seasons then. I am currently re-watching Buffy for I don't know how many times. Just finished the season 4 disc. I actually don't hate season 4 as much as many do. I thought there were some excellent episodes and thought the theme of the four friends each trying to adjust to the changes in their lives and losing their way as a cohesive group was very well done. Plus, I just adore fourth season Spike. He really is at his "snarky" best. Not to mention Anya, who delivers some of the funniest moments. And I still get to see a little of Angel and Faith so I am happy.

Thanks for the feedback. I will give Angel another chance. To be fair I watched it very sporadically the first season after the first couple of episodes. Good to know Cordy changes a little since I think she provides great comic relief in Buffy season 2 and 3 but don't think I could handle her in large doses. And now I am a little curious about the changes in Wesley also. And no, I didn't find Angel totally without humor but I wasn't laughing out loud like I do at Buffy (even having watched it over and over and over).

A little off topic here but does anyone know a site that has the main theme song from Angel available for mp3 download (legally, of course)? I have checked out a couple of the sites I normally used and have not been able to find it.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Cordy changes A LOT! And she's way more than comic relief on Angel. And Wesley- probably the biggest and best change of any of the Buffyverse characters. Alexis Denisof is really a revelation here. This guy needs to do more work.

I must say I was very happy to see Andy Hallet *finally* added to the Angel regular cast. That was more than a season overdue.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Kevin beat me to it. The Cordy in Angel and the Cordy in Buffy are pretty much two different people; same with Wes.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
They've released a longer version of the theme on the CD soundtrack of ANGEL, but for the 50 second version I'm sure you could find it very easily online.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Nevermind - just searched Amazon. That is the same one that was released in the UK first?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm a big fan of Alexis Denisof and his performances, but not so much the character. Wesley was used as a joke early on, but quickly transformed to be whatever the writers needed him to be, instead of growing organically from events that occur (as with the other characters). That said, he could almost always be counted on for the best performances in the show.

I preferred Cordy more on Buffy. When written well, she was hysterical. I liked her fine on Angel as well, but she definitely fit the high school angle better than the demon-hunting angle.

Just my take,
Chuck

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Like old Wesley, like newer Wesley. Like old Cordy or like new Cordy. None of that matters. All that matters is that "Angel" is an EXCELLENT show in it's own right and you should definitely watch it again from the beginning. Besides, if you do then we can keep this thread going. :D

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I loved Cordy in Season 2 on Buffy but I hated what the writers did with her in Season 3. The whole Xander breakup angle seemed forced to try and sever all ties Cordy had in Sunnydale so they could send her over to Angel more easily. And after "The Wish" she barely had any screentime for the rest of the season.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Although the Wesley "obsession" she developed was definitely hilarious.

"Willow.... they got Willow... So are you doing anything tonight?"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Angel S3 spoiler below:Talking about organic growth (why does that sound wrong?), Cordy's developping feelings for Angel was handled.

It was very subtle, and yet obvious to the audience sometime before the characters themselves came to that realization. That was neat.

--
H

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Holadem- completely agree. I had never really thought about it but then, while watching "Waiting in the Wings," it was like a light bulb went off in my head and I thought "of course, makes sense."

And in a similar vein (Angel S4 Spoilers):

Great job by Charisma Carpenter, the writers, and directors with the "Cordelia but Not Cordelia" plot. Ever since Cordelia returned there was something "off" about her character. Even beyond the obviously bizarre sleeping with Connor thing she just didn't feel like the same Cordelia from Season Three. Very nice to see to see that vindicated by the storyline.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Darn! I wish I hadn't read that spoiler. I'm not to those episodes yet. Stupid me! . I thought it was gonna be about something I already watched. I forgot that Kevin is farther along in S4 than I am. "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"

Note: I actually watched a few episodes of S4 when I was watching Buffy S7 since they were sort of crossover episodes but at the time, other than that one storyline, a lot of the stuff in the episodes made no sense to me so I've forgotten most of it. So, technically, I did sort of already knew that, I just forgot I knew it. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks