What's new

'BUFFY' & 'ANGEL' S4/S1 DVD Challenge (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Wow, congrats, it's always nice to get new people of ALL ages onboard! ;) :emoji_thumbsup: Keep us posted on what they think as you go along. :)

Something Blue

I love this episode, the whole situation with Spike and Buffy is both nausiating and hilarious all at once lol. My favorite scene though isn't even a scene, really, it's a single shot, it's when Amy the rat becomes Amy again...for about 2 seconds lol. :laugh:

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

That's a hoot! Good job, Scott. I try to recruit people to watch this show whenever I can too. Eventually I will get my mom and her boyfriend on board as well.

Ok, so, it's a new week and time for new episodes. I got caught up with the last three episodes over the weekend and I liked them all. Especially Something Blue, the scenes between Spike and Buffy were just hilarious. And the scene with Amy was classic too. And that's all I have to say because I'm too sleepy to think of more.

This week we are watching:

A1x09: Hero
A1x10: Parting Gifts
A1x11: Somnamulist

And for those of you who like to watch ahead...

WEEK OF 10/16/06
B4x12: A New Man
A1x12: Expecting
A1x13: She
B4x13: The I in Team (4x13 and 4x14 take place back to back)
B4x14: Goodbye Iowa

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ah Hero...the episode where if I say anything more I'll be kicked out of this thread for ruining it for first timers but all I will say is at the time it originally aired I NEVER saw it coming...and to this day it still bothers me.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Looks like I've caught up and passed you people in terms of watching Buffy Season 4, since I'm already on Disc 4 episode ``This Year's Girl,'' which is only explained by the fact that I'm only watching Buffy, not Angel. Hope you're enjoying those episodes.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am renting the Angel discs via Netflix and am a bit confused. According to netflix the episode Expecting is on disc 3. When I look at the disc menu, it isn't listed. Is that episode on disc 4?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's like this:

Disc 3
-HERO
-PARTING GIFTS
-SOMNAMUBULIST

Bonus Features:
-ANGEL season 1 Overview
-Cast Biographies
-Stills Gallery

Disc 4
-EXPECTING
-SHE (watch the end credits!!!)
-I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN
-THE PRODIGAL

Disc 5
-THE RING
-ETERNITY
-FIVE BY FIVE (with script)
-SANCTUARY (with script)

Disc 6
-WAR ZONE
-BLIND DATE
-TO SHANSHU IN L.A.

Bonus Features
-Introducing Angel
-I'm Cordelia
-The Demons

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'm late to the I Will Remember You conversation, but does anyone else think this would've been a perfect series finale instead of standalone episode? Imagine if the events in the Angel finale (not getting into it) play out and then Angel and Buffy somehow wind up together again (maybe she heard about something and shows up, who knows, not saying anything about the Angel finale to those who are virgins) and this happened, would this not be the perfect way to not only send Angel off, but the entire Joss-verse? Take out the last ten minutes and make Buffy and Angel together happy, human, forever, and you wouldn't see people hoping SMG comes back and does a Buffy movie or Boreanaz coming back and doing an Angel movie, it would be the absolute sendoff for both characters and shows and don't think many people would be disappointed with the result. It would be like Friends fans who didn't like Ross and Rachel getting together again for the finale or Sex And The City fans who felt let down by Carrie and Mr. Big getting together once and for all at the end. It would've been happy and something both characters deserved and EARNED after all they went through.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

There's another thing to consider with your theory, it would only wrap up Buffy and Angel's storylines, but what about Willow, Xander, Giles, Dawn, Doyle and Codelia?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, Nicholas, for the info. The Netflix sleeve for Disc 3 is wrong. It says that Expecting is on this disc. Very confusing.

I just watched "Hero". I admit that when I first saw it, it was a complete surprise.

Does anyone know if this is why a certain someone shows up? Were they a replacement, or was it planned?

It is hard to ask a question without giving things away. LOL

How soon after we are scheduled to watch an episode can we speak spoiler free about it?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
To this day, Scott, there has never been a definitive answer. Some say it was planned, some say it was suddden because of, and I will spoiler tag the rest:

When Glenn Quinn died of a heroin overdose in December 2002, his drug use seemed to be a plausible answer to why Doyle was a short-lived character - problems with him on the set, etc. Other possible explanations was that Joss Whedon didn't like Quinn, not because of drugs, but his acting as Doyle. The drug issue crept in a bit in another way - some say he was a negative influence on David Boreanaz, who became quite close and spent time together even after Doyle was removed from the show. (after the show ended, Boreanaz was always eager to point out in interviews that Quinn was his favorite aspect of working on the show, because they had a great time together) The idea of Doyle dying quickly also fits with Whedon's trademark killing of main characters (Jesse in season 1, Jenny Calendar, Tara, Joyce Summers) and it makes sense because they brought an established character, Wesley, on to the show. So every theory is believeable, but only the cast and crew know, and have never given a concrete answer.

I just found out on wikipedia, that while entirely unconfirmed, Joss Whedon wanted to bring Doyle back as the season 4 VILLIAN, but Quinn died before any real discussion could come of it...which if true, destroys the drug use theory - why would they bring back a supposedly unstable and difficult actor, right?

The season 4 episode "Long Day's Journey" features a dedication to Quinn before the credits, which remains intact on the season 4 ANGEL DVD.

Quinn died on December 3 2002, which was three years after "Hero" aired on the WB, which was November 30, 1999. Fairly close dates.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

why "ew"? Maybe fans wouldn't be clamoring for reunion movies over the two show if they both got the absolute finale the fans wanted. Who needs a Friends reunion movie now that we have Ross and Rachel happy together? (sorry if that's a spoiler to some, but hell, I guess some are probably shocked that the war ended and they went home on M*A*S*H too). No many how many movies Gellar has coming up, to most people, a Buffy movie is the only one they'd care to see. Same with a lot of people who wish Bones would be cancelled so Boreanaz would have more time to devote to an Angel movie. If the two of them got together at the end, fans would probably no longer have any demand for them to revisit shows that likely will never be revisited at this point considering the casts of both shows have moved onto other things.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Thank God i'm not one of those, I try never to pidgeonhole an actor or actress into one role, Sarah did her gig as Buffy and now that's over, I don't ever care to see a Buffy movie because i'm very satisfied with how it ended. The same goes for David, he did Angel, it was a great role and now it's over and he's doing other things.

Your hearts in the right place, Jay, but that one ep just wouldn't work as a finale for either show, too many loose ends would be neglected and never tied up.

In your scenario, a movie WOULD BE required and not the other way around.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am amazed at how much Wesley changed in Angel. From where he starts out in Season 1 (basically the same as he was in Buffy) to where he ends up is a long journey.

Cordilia Changes as well, but she was already started on that trip in the last season of Buffy.

I am glad that Wesley "grew a pair" during the show's run. He was a bit hard to watch in this first few episodes.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Doomed:star::star:1/2
Tough to follow a show like Hush, but here Riley is at his most annoying. At least Spike is good to laugh at.

Hero:star::star::star:
This would have been a 5 star episode. The way in which Doyle's arc progress through this episode is brilliant, especially with the same video being used to start and end the episode. However, it's they way in which the Scourge are portrayed that really lets this episode down - not in the sense that they are persecuting half-demons, but that the show seems to feel the need to keep reminding us that this is a Nazi metaphor. Ok we get it!!!

Parting Gifts:star::star::star:
Wesley was really annoying in Buffy yet somehow on Angel, he is less annoying despite the fact that at this point it is exactly the same character. Perhaps it is because I know where his character is going and that by the end of the show, he became my favourite character.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
A New Man:

I felt bad for Giles in the episode. Not because he was turned into a demon, but how he is feeling like an outsider. I am about his age, and I know how uncomfortable it must have been to be at the college party with the “kids”.

I really loved how Ethan came out of the dark to make his ominous statement in the crypt only to have Giles comes back in. LOL

I also got a real kick out of seeing Demon Giles chase Prof. Walsh.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I remember getting a kick out of Giles calling Walsh a 'fishwife'...After all these years I still don't know what that is, but I liked it :)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Sorry about the delay this week. I was away on vacation.

I finally got all caught up with last week's episodes yesterday. I have a question about Hero. Does anyone know why
Doyle left the show so early in the 1st season?
I've always been curious about that. I might of known at one time but I don't remember anymore.

This week we are watching:

B4x12: A New Man
A1x12: Expecting
A1x13: She
B4x13: The I in Team (4x13 and 4x14 take place back to back)
B4x14: Goodbye Iowa

And for those who like to watch ahead:

WEEK OF 10/23/06
A1x14: I’ve Got you under my Skin
A1x15: The Prodigal
B4x15: This Year’s Girl
B4x16: Who are you (on D5 but they really need to be watched back-to-back)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks