What's new

Buffy / Angel question (1 Viewer)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Yes, Faith rules. Probably my favorite character in the entire Buffyverse.

Re: Angelus in S4. I thought this the first time around, even more so the second time around. His appearance was a huge letdown. A bad imitation of Hannibal Lecter, and Boreanaz just couldn't pull it off, IMO. I just saw bad acting and bad writing, not a bad, evil, menacing creature.

The epitome of that was when he was about to feed on that girl, and then all of a sudden at the last nanosecond, he was distracted by something someone said off-camera and let the girl go. Forgivable if the intended victim was a key character who needed to be kept alive for the story, but this was an extra, for pete's sake. It was like the writers decided, "Oh, we're too far into this now and we can't let our hero kill a human being."

Very disappointing, since the Angelus in Buffy S2 really was a vile beast and we waited for years to see him return. The pissed-off, disillusioned Angel in Angel S2 was so much more convincingly frightening. The scene where he set fire to Darla and Drusilla
and the one where he threatened Cordelia at the bookcase
were truly chilling.

And S4 Cordelia, forget about it. I really grew to love that character in S2 and S3. In S4, she was just overblown and annoying.

Overall with S4, I liked the first major arc, with the appearance of The Beast. And I loved the final arc with "the hot black lady from hell." But that middle Angelus section was lame and was redeemed only by Faith's appearance.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Angelus is my favorite Buffyverse character, so I'm a bit biased. But while there are definite Hannibal Lecter influences, I actually liked the fact that he was kept caged for a good while, able only to attack people psychologically. How he played on everyone's fears and relationships at the right moment. "Except for the fact he's banging Lilah," singlehandidly set that possible relationship back.

I preferred the Angelus arc to the Jasmine one.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I recently just rewatched most of Buffy Season 2 and it was just amazing. I think I already posted about the experience here, but to sum it up, I guess I always underrated S2. I know that I loved certain episodes, but I was just blown away by its arc and especially the finale. Pretty much the same for Angel S2. I just watched the important arc episodes over the weekend and loved it. I still feel S3 is a little better, but I'll see if it hold up soon. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Finally done with Buffy.

S7 spoilers galore.

I found S7 much better than expected. I am a sucker for any sort of heavy foreboding and impending doom, so it worked for me. Does it have the intensity and enthusiasm of S2, or the overwhelming gloom and despair of S5? Perhaps not, but I enjoyed it much better than S6. Everything I have read led me to believe S7 was some sort of Buffy/Spike soap opera, not true at all. Their relationship in S6 was infinitely more cringe worthy to me - the whole unhealthy but irresistible attraction thing is OLD.

Much less whining and complaining by the characters. It seems like that's all they did in S6. Spike did go over the line at the begining of the season though.

There were very few filler eps.

I am suprised by how much fun Andrew's presence was. Hard to believe that I couldn't stand these guys earlier. The closing of Conversation with Dead People was litterally a punch in the guts.

On the minus side, Giles has been relegated to an extra, even Kennedy (who is hot) had more screen time. I miss the Giles who always had an authoritative presence even in his goofiest moments. His appearence at the end of S6 was one of "get up and clap" sequences.

The "voting out" of Buffy ended up being somewhat inconsequential? Two eps later, everything was back to normal. Not typical of Whedon.

Caleb pretty much shows up out of nowhere because a tangible and punchable villain was needed toward the end. Ugh.

I do wish the finale had been a two parter.

--
H

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with most of your thoughts regarding season 7, Holadem. It just hasn't weathered too well for me. After the first time I watched it, I definitely liked it more than S6, though that may have changed.

The only thing I disagree with is Caleb. Well...I sort of half agree with you. Execution-wise, you're right...he was only there to be a physical presence. Character-wise, I really liked him. Had Joss + co thought to use him more during the season, I think he would have been a stronger presence. As it is they tried to cram too much info about him into 4 episodes.

BTW...Angel S5 rocks. I just finished Destiny last night.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I think Caleb was an afterthought to give a job to Nathan Fillion after Firefly was cancelled.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I typically dislike spinoffs, but given what Joss has done with Angel, I am totally on board for that elusive Faith spinoff I keep hearing about.

What's the (non?)story with that?

--
H

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
I thought talk of a Faith spinoff quickly died (or at least put on a far back burner) with Tru Calling?

Latest spinoff possibility I had heard was that there was discussion of doing Ripper for BBC.

I read somewhere (was it here?) that Gord Lacey or someone asked a WB exec about the status of Angel movies, and the germ of an idea for a Spike project was generated?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks