What's new

Buena Vista Goes All BD-50 for January Blu-ray Slate (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't care for the film which is why I won't buy a HD version of it.

Also, you're not talking to some rookies here about what's currently being produced versus what might be produced down the road once the format matures. Most of us have been in this HT hobby many years with various formats and a lot of money spent. For myself, over 20 years.

Crawdaddy

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Over on AVS Forum, Amir, the Microsoft spokesperson, said that they were refining VC1 and soon it would be 20% more efficent. That could bode well for either format.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

So that's three so far:

Corpes Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Superman (one)... all three msrp $28.99 so it doesn't seem like (in these cases) the cost of the HD discs increased substantially against other comparable product from the same studio (WB).

Enjoy!

dave :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Oh well, three titles that won't be added to my collection because two of them I have no interest in and the third, I bought on the other format.

Anyhow, must I remind you that music only tracks existed in the SD DVD format too during it's early years then all of a sudden, once that format reached mass market they basically stopped being placed on dvd releases. Why? Because even though special editions became more common place, the studios didn't want to pay the extra money that artists were demanding for their work being isolated on this very successful format. Was this a bogus reason for not continuing to have isolated scores on SD DVD? I don't know, but I do know that bonus material such as that, basically stopped being made available and I had two different studio VPs tell me to my face that the reason was they became too expensive to include on dvds due to higher licensing fees.

Crawdaddy

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I feel your pain! So don't take any of my comments/questions as attacks.
Does the other forum have "proof" there is "no" more room on "KK"?
Or, is it conjecture? Just videophiles adding up guestaments in their heads?
I believe "KK" was not released on two discs at this time, is because it will be released on two discs w/the extended version at a later date. I don't know if "lossless" will be apart of the extended version either, because I believe it lacks studio support. (If people only want "lossless" on their HD Disc releases, please don't buy non-"lossless" titles)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It was also the case of pirates bootlegging the isolated scores from SD DVD to CD, that the practice (one of my fave DVD features. That's why I still have the original "Aliens", for the additional soundtrack) was stopped.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, "Superman: The Movie" was recently reissued and the isolated score feature is still intact on the SD DVD version.

They never reissued "Mars Attacks!" either. I think part of it was to save space and save costs.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
Pete,

I am absolutly aware about using space for more bits for better encoding,.... I am producing/making DVDs and soon hd dvds and blu-rays myself....

And I am glad that they are willing to USE EVERY BIT avaible on the disk..
and no on KK it's NOT BS. As David mentioned, using 24/48khz DolbyTrueHD will be double of DD+ space.... and I am sure they did not wanted to compromise PQ wich is TOP CLASS. Audio DolbyTrueHD is not small amount of data for 3+ hour movie

About DD/DTS with Universal hmm, well I just hope UNIVERSAL than will use DTS HD MASTER :) if not DolbyTrueHD ;) they can pick whichever they want :)

JUST USE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marek :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Hey... you're not talking to a rookie over here... :D

Actually, these titles also have isolated music tracks on SD DVD as well. Yep it still happens. In any case, your point about rising royalty costs to artists is well taken... and it's the reason we've seen fewer isolated music tracks on DVD as of late in comparison to the format's early days. However, there will still be cases where isolated tracks are not only possible, but desired by the producer and fan base. LOTR is a perfect example.

Also, when isolated tracks first hit DVD, like with many features of DVD, it was something new for the industry to react to and deal with (LD was such a small format many of the features it presented went widely ignored by the industry at large so music-tracks on LD didn't really prepare the way)... so gradually we saw rules and royalty stragegies respond. While HD formats do allow for lossless/high-res encoding, other than that there's nothing new about music-only tracks on HD versus SD, so most likely the practice we see on DVD now will continue into HD media in a similar manner.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I finally received my Superman discs so I haven't checked them out yet so thanks for the heads up.

As far as music only tracks, I know some of them still exist on SD DVD which is why I framed my sentence that they "basically" stopped because there are still some exceptions, but nowhere near as many as there was six years ago.

In time, we'll see if the same pattern occurs with these high definition formats that happened with SD DVD. Also, films made today have language written into contracts that cover music rights on video formats so that the studios don't have to deal with the same legal issues that older films present when it comes to isolated musical tracks on video products.

Crawdaddy

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Good question.

I had heard from one compressionist (who didn't work on this title directly) that the bit-rate and film length made it hard to put the lossless track on the HD DVD. However, he wasn't speaking from a studio-representive perspective and Universal hasn't provided lossless tracks in other cases even when there *was* space. Also, with better compression tweaking it's possible that a 16/48 lossless track could have made to fit. VC1 is improving every day, though making the most efficient use of it takes a careful eye and multiple passes during the encoded which adds time and cost.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Most probably I own such an SDVD, although I don't recall a specific title.
But for my understanding: are these music-tracks synchronized with the movie? So basically a movie without conversation? Or are they just like a sound track on CD in fact isolated from the movie (and perhaps "polished")?

Cees

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
In general music-only tracks play synchronized with the film... it's basically the film-score without any dialogue or sound effects (as if someone had stripped everything out of the soundtrack except for the musical score).

A really great way to hear parts of the score that never end up making it onto the 74 minute CD. And a great way to hear soundtracks/scores for some movies that don't have a companion CD soundtrack for sale.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I just hadn't bothered to read the special features on any of my BD discs yet (where the music-only track is listed along with all the other special features). Having just bought my PS3 a few days ago... there hasn't been much time...

:D ;) :)

AlexBC

Second Unit

Yes they have David! ;)

Universal's HD-DVDs of End Of Days and Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas both have 48/16 (far from the ideal IMO) Dolby TrueHD tracks.

So, this could further reinforce the point that they couldn't fit it on Kong.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I wish they would include this more often, especially on musicals; for some of these the only soundtrack CDs available are the same as they were on LP, with heavy edits and laden with reverb.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
BD 50 falls on its face!
KoH not even all the extras on the lowly SD DVD release.
Sopranos on HD DVD = 4 F@CKING discs!!!
Sopranos on "The Super Fantastic Never Have To Flip a Disc Again" BD 50 GB...
"4 F@CKING discs!!!"

What's so GREAT about BD 50 again???

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Ed,

there's no logical conclusion to be drawn from the particulars of this release regarding 50 gig or anything else pertaining to any "format" or specification.

Probably for reasons of "double dipping", some studios seem intent on providing feature-poor HD product for their initial releases in order to encourage future re-purchasing. I'm with you in that it ticks me off given what features are already available on SD formats (which I personally feel should be made available on HD media as well). But studio decisions are what they are. Same goes for using MPEG2 and taking up more space on a 50 gig disc versus using AVC or VC1 to make efficient use of the space to encode more material. Studio decisions are political decisions... but with time the studios will start to "get it". Even Sony is already saying they are slowly moving foward with AVC versus MPEG2 as they gear up their encoding-side for the new codec.

But leave 50 gig out of it. It's not part of the conversation. The issue is purely, plain-and-simple a matter of studio politics regarding their policy governing these early HD releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks