budget subwoofer suggestions $220 or less

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jared_C, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Jared_C

Jared_C Stunt Coordinator

i know this is a general question, but i still feel it is worth asking since it will greatly affect my ht setup. i was planning on buying the dls powered sub that was $99, but they seem to have discontinued it. If you could post your suggestions and where to buy the suggested sub i would appreciate it ($220 or less)

2. Jared_C

i found the acoustic research pr1212 for $209, i have heard both good and bad things, suggestions?

3. Rick Sullivan

Rick Sullivan Auditioning

JBL PB10 199.99 shipped OneCall. Won't blow you away, but a nice sub for the price.

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Check out ebay for an Infinity IL100s. $220 is pretty low for a sub so your best bet is to get a refurb which originally cost double or triple the price and still get the full manufacturers warranty.

5. Jared_C

any other suggestions? i am now considering the sony wm40 which is only $130 at sears right now!

6. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Spend $100 more and build yourslef a DIY Shiva. It will be a lot better than anything else in the price range.

7. Jared_C

i was considering going that route, i have built plenty of mdf boxes, but i think it might be going overboard, i don't too much bass, i will be living in an apt for the next 3 years. although the dls 250w amp $119 and a dls titanic sub $139-150 would be very tempting.

btw, i read that those jbl powered subs are known for their amps blowing after about a year. what about the sony wm40, i heard if you add some polyfill in the box and put spikes on it it sounds great.

8. Jared_C

has anyone used the dls quatro subwoofer, it is $75 for the 12" at partsexpress.com, that with the 250w DLS amp would be $200 shipped