What's new

Budget family room 5.1 suggestions (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
It's been a while since I bought speakers and this application is different than for my theater room which has a full size system. I'm setting up a budget system in my family room that just needs to be an upgrade from tv speakers/soundbar or HTiB for the occasional movie or when the tv is on while we're in the kitchen. With a modest budget, I grabbed a Yamaha RX-V479 (refurb $320) and likely Polk TL3 centers, front and surrounds (refurb $480). I'm looking for a sub in the <$150 range and Dayton, Dynamo 300 and maybe the Polk PSW 110 seem the most likely candidates. The room is big and open to the kitchen and I have no illusions that this will shake the house. I just want something that will fill out the small speakers and sound decent as a base level system. Thanks for your help!

If I didn't choose the TL3's, I was thinking of the Energy Take Classics. Full size bookshelves are not an option. Thanks for any input!

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Since you're open to refurbs look at the Definitive Tech ProCinema 600 5.1 system. You can pick this up on ebay from seller bajawaverunner.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you're looking for system recommendations I would look at these sets below. I think any of these would be a better option than the Polks either for cost or sound reasons.
If you're looking for sub in the less than $150 range to pair with the Polk TL3 set I would look at these.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Thanks for the recommendations. What makes you recommend those systems over the Polks? I eliminated the DefTechs because of the need to wire them through the sub for best sound. I eliminated the KEFs because of the 2" mids. Why are the BAs better than the Polks? Thanks!

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I'm not trying to sway you towards the DefTechs, but you can hook the speakers and sub individually to your avr.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
The couple of reviews I read said hooking them up conventionally was less than optimal. Seemed strange to me that there was some sort of processing going on within the sub, but the reviews didn't explain it beyond concluding that there was an improvement going within the sub. They were very positive reviews, it just made me a little leery.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Thanks for the recommendations. What makes you recommend those systems over the Polks? I eliminated the DefTechs because of the need to wire them through the sub for best sound. I eliminated the KEFs because of the 2" mids. Why are the BAs better than the Polks? Thanks!

I like those systems better than the Polks because the Polk usually have a very soft tweeter that's hasn't impressed me (especially for that price). I also think that most of those other systems will have a better sub than you can get for less than $150. Even if the Polks sound good you're putting a budget sub with OK speakers. I would rather get a better overall package but that's just me.

You do also have to consider cost. You're saying the polks without sub cost $480 refurbed...that's just too much for me when you can get those others for less money. I'm not saying the Polks are terrible and you might really like them. I just mainly wanted you to realize there are other options out there.

I don't know that either the wiring of the deftech systems or the 2" drivers of the KEF would bother me that much. The wiring doesn't have to go through the sub so you're ok there. If you want to wire it that way it's not hard depending on sub/sat location. The small driver of the KEF reachs only 5hz less than the Polk (120 vs 115Hz) and you're getting a way better sub in the C4 vs anything you can get for $150. Just some food for thought.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
If you are set on the HTiB type speakers based on the size and the ability to hang them on the walls, then sticking with the Polk TL3 speakers are fine, but based on how they sound to you. If you have shelves available and perhaps willing to purchase stands, I would add to the mix of suggestions two pairs of Pioneer BS22LRs and the Polk PSW 110. The Pioneer bookshelf speakers were designed by Andrew Jones who is now with Elac, (also impressive speakers,) and the Pioneers really hold their own. I bought a pair for my surrounds to match my main Pioneer floor standing speakers. I started with one PSW 110 sub and it shook the house by itself. I purchased a second one to increase the bass output (basshead), so the Polk sub will do the trick.

Two pairs of the Pioneers will cost you 200.00 (99.00 a pair), PSW 110 sub, 199.99 and all you need is a center channel. I think you will get a bigger bang for the buck in comparison to the small HTiB setups.

Hope this helps.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
KEF E305 and SVS Primes are at the high end of your budget but worth considering. I've reviewed both, can dig out links if you want em.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I ended up going with the Polk TL3s and the Martin Logan Dynamo 300. Got them all mounted and wired this past weekend. I'm very happy with them. The fronts are about 13' apart and I worried about fragmenting the front sound but they project pretty well and the transition from L to C to R is very smooth. There might have been better options, but I'm happy.

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I used a similar version of the TL3s, Polk's RM101s. They serviced my needs for about six years. Although I recently upgraded my whole system, I repurposed some for my whole home audio system. I still think they sound fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks