What's new

Buck Rogers in the 21st Century (1 Viewer)

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I had been leaning against purchasing the show up 'til now. I'd seen the reruns on Sci-Fi and was thinking that I wasn't sure the show was holding up for me. Now that the release is almost here, I'm starting to change my mind and might pick it up anyway. Sure would have been nice to have some extras on it, but I may pick it up anyway.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
All I can say is, after seeing the pictures from the anniversary screening, Erin Gray has sure aged nicely...

Back to our normally scheduled thread...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Nice review Justin...but I am confused....which version of the pilot is included...the television version or the theatrical version?

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I would say it's the Theatrical version, with the matting removed. That having been said, I'm not sure, since I've never seen the Theatrical version, only the TV version and that was years ago.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
If anyone wants to preview before they buy Sci Fi will be running all the eps from Season 2 next tuesday between 8am and 4pm. I have my Tivo set.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

So it is just one version of the pilot, then? I'm sure it's the theatrical version, since most advertising materials say it's included and uncut. Still, I had hoped that they would include the television edit as well. As I said earlier in the thread, the TV cut contained some footage that was not in the theatrical version, most notably an epilogue that set up the series a little better. Oh, well. Guess it's not really the complete Complete Series, but I'm still happy it's coming out. Looking forward to picking it up.

Thanks for the review, Justin. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

James Reader

Screenwriter
It says on the bottom of the back of the package:

"Series pilot included is theatrical version rather than televised version"

so that should settle that.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
so, essentially, were getting the 'cut' version of the pilot, but without the matting and anamorphic enhancement that would make the cut 'theatrical' verison special.

man...and people were bitching to high heaven about the Night Gallery set...

well, i'm still happy to have the show on a compact medium, and i won't complain about the price i paid for the set, especially when i have a pre-recorded copy of Space Vampire that cost me $10 alone and is on a far inferior medium- but the effort put into it is kind of disappointing.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Well, kind of. Like I said, both the theatrical and the TV version had footage that was not in the other one, so if we had just gotten the TV version, it would have been "cut" as well. I think the best thing to do would have either been to put the TV version in the box set and release the theatrical version as a standalone disc, like they did with Battlestar Galactica. However, looking at the spacing on the 4th disc, it seems like they would have had room to include both versions of the pilot.

Well, it is a little disappointing, as I would prefer to have both, but if I have to pick, I'll take the theatrical version.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
even if they had just had a little 15 minute featurette that explained the differences between the two versions and had all the scenes that weren't in whichever version is represented.
that would have been a nice little 'no budget' extra- just have a couple of text screens and the deleted scenes.

and barring that, if there were going to use the theatrical version, could we at least have it in the theatrical aspect ratio?

that chaffes a little.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but NO SALE. I don't have much money and I made the decision to get this, despite the omission of Gil Gerard and Erin Gray commentaries. But to not have the first episode, as aired, was a huge goof on the part of Universal. This set is too expensive for any goofs.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Since the pilot was released to theatres months before being aired on TV in edited form (with a new tag, I know) I've always considered it the "real" version. It is what I saw in theatres in 1979 and I'm glad the theatrical cut is on the set. Yes, they could have added the tag on a bonus and had some extras, but this is the entire series in one box, and it looks amazing.

It's not like Universal pulled an ALF or TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT goof here.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I actually think the BUCK ROGERS set was a great deal; despite the frustrating lack of extras, we got 2 seasons-worth of episodes for around $70 (Best Buy/Wal-Mart prices, although Costco had it for $60). I paid $40 on sale for the A-Team and Magnum PI the weeks they came out, and those are Universal shows, too. Thus, 2 seasons of those shows would cost $80 on sale.
Not that I'm letting Universal off the hook completely. I think they should have released the theatrical version seperately, with the TV pilot on the set. And again, the lack of extras are frustrating. I am happy to have all of the episodes in one set, which is far better than nothing at all!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is the pilot movie on disc one? If so, what is the title of the episode that follows it?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Scott--

The pilot movie "Awakening" is on disc one, side one, and it's followed by the double-length "Planet of the Slave Girls." I have to say, despite the lack of extras and the omission of the TV version of the pilot, if you're a fan, the set is not a bad deal if you can find it at a discounted price. All of the regular episodes seem to be uncut, and they look and sound pretty impressive, all things considered.

Been looking at some of the episodes; boy, this show was campy :) but I love it.

marcus_h

Agent
Well, if there was only one choice, I'm glad the theatrical cut of this was chosen. The opening sequence is great and the "shit" exclamation when Tigerman tries to take Buck out lol. Much rather have this than the tv version if it was one or the other.

I'm very greatful that they put both seasons in one set like they did...I'm loving it ;o). My only gripe is the packaging...I would have preferred slim cases like Fox used for Lost in Space.

Yeah, its sad that there was no input from Gil or Erin, but I'm pysched that I now have all the shows together in one set on my favorite format. Thanks Universal!.

Even if the theatrical cut hadn't been included, I would have still bought the damn thing because all of the episodes are here. If you want the tv version, tivo it off the Sci Fi channel and burn it to a DVD-R. That's what I did ;op.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
One thing no one has addressed yet: Are the "movie length" episodes presented in their original double-length format, or are they chopped into two parts (as per syndication)?

The movie-length episodes (besides the pilot) are:
Planet of the Slave Girls
Flight of the War Witch
Time of the Hawk
Journey to Oasis

If these are presented as 2-parters, then they are likely less-complete than the original versions, as "on last week's show" recaps would've undoubtedly been added.

I don't really see removing the widescreen matte as a problem. This was originally shot for a TV ratio. Production was already underway before they decided to also shoot this "widescreen safe." That in and of itself was probably done (originally) as a "just in case", since they screwed up Galactica by matting it for widescreen when it wasn't shot "widescreen safe" (and pissing off Dykstra in the process).

Of course, we all know it did make it to theatres first, but as this was a "for-TV" production to start with, I'm not bothered that it's in 4:3. They didn't pull a "Kung Fu" and chop out any of the original image...

As someone else said, it's too bad the footage unique to the TV version wasn't at least included in an "extra scenes" package, or perhaps better still, added into the theatrical cut to give us an "extended" version.

Of course, I'm also disappointed we didn't get any cut scenes (like all of the unused Draco stuff). I guess the Galactica release spoiled me.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm also glad it is the theatrical version, because I remember even as a child that the added scene of Buck visiting his new apartment didn't "fit" the feel of the rest of the show.

Confession: When I went on Universal Studios tour back in the day, I was super excited to see Buck's space shuttle parked out in the Old West area of the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks