What's new

"Bruising" around the mouth (1 Viewer)

Luth

Auditioning
Real Name
Luth
I have a basic home theatre setup with an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 720 projector. I've been noticing, though, that in lots of movies, especially in dark scenes, the image appears to put a "bruising" colour, sickly yellow-green, around the corners of the mouths of people. I fiddled with the colour settings a bit, but I don't think I know as much as I should. What can I try to fix this problem?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Luth.

That is a strange problem. Is the projector a DLP unit? Some DLP televisions have a 'clay-face' problem where things look funny.

The proper color settings have to be customized for your equipment and cabling. Get a setup DVD like "Digital Video Essentials" and go through the tutorials on setting brightness, color, contrast.

You can also find test patterns and simple instructions on Pixar disks like Cars.

Let us know what you find out as this is a strange problem and it's interesting.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
a lot of displays can get some really odd effects, particularly in the dark bits. Given that those "corners" of the mouth probably generally "appear" as shadows, well, it might be difficult to get away from, whilst still preserving the overall image quality. (You might have to really crank the brightness up or some other compromise like that.)

Try the basic test patterns, particularly for brightness/contrast. The contrast ones are getting harder (I find,) but the brightness can be fairly easy. (Tip for the beginner: brightness affects how black is rendered. Contrast affects how white is rendered. It's a little backwards.)

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks