What's new

Brothers and Sisters season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'm really enjoying this show. It seems to be getting better every week as they flesh out the characters.

I couldn't agree more. Just twenty years ago, ABC wouldn't show two guys together in bed on thirtysomething so it's nice to finally see two regular non stereotypical gay men (I did notice they toned the swishiness) go through relationship problems just like everyone else. Sad to see the two breakup though.
My vote it to bring Scotty back. These two have good chemistry.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show continues to get better and better. They cover a lot of ground, but the hour just flies by. Sally Fields is a shoo-in for an emmy nomination, that scene with Nora and Kitty in the hallway was simply heartbreaking. Calista Flockhart must be loving working on this show, not having to anchor a show, but getting a lot of dramatic bits written for her.

I LOL when Nora told David not to be a stranger and that he shouldn't feel obligated to nail something when he came by the Walker house.

I did believe that Kevin really did add water to the engine instead of the radiator. Doh!

The deus ex machina in solving the Walker money woes literally came out of left field. Not sure if i liked that bit of writing.

Walker men got potent sperm (except for Tommy, that is).

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The whole road trip was hilarious... the bickering, the bar & the shacking up with a hot soldier for the night. Rachel Griffiths should also be looking pretty good when it comes time for the Supporting Emmy. She never ceases to amaze & amuse.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'm kinda sorta with you on that. It does seem entirely too easy of an "out" for the money problems. I'm guessing, based on the show, that there is more to it than what we know right now. The other side of it could be wanting to get the pension fund story out of the way so the next storyline could get going. Either way, I'm glad the land mystery didn't get strung out too long.

The line about nailing something had me rolling on the floor when it came on. It was hilarious, as was Nora's realization about what she had said a minute later.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
M tivo didnt record it for some reason. Can someone give me a recap? ABC doesn't have a download available.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'll give it a go. I'm sure someone else can fill in the missing parts...

This is basically Part II continued from the week before. Nora continues to have flashbacks to the days shortly after 9/11. Justin holds firm in his intention to join the army and William supports him. Later on, Nora tries to protect Justin by sending a letter to the recuiter, telling him he made a mistake by enlisting. Justin, previously waffling on the idea of reporting, explodes and decides to go because of Nora.

Sarah, Tommy and Kevin find out William bought land in Nevada and take a road trip to figure out why. On the way, Kevin's car overheats and he floods the engine trying to be "not gay". They end up in a bar near a military base, where Sarah proceeds to get plastered and play pool with the guys. Kevin starts to talk to a guy and comes out as gay when he's asked about kids. Ultimately, the three spend the night with this army guy...the punchline being Sarah and Tommy slept on the floor while Kevin had a nice comfy bed.

They reach the land and there's really nothing there. On the way back home, they stop at the only bank for money and come to a realization: William had a mortgage on the land and it had to be through this bank. Sure enough, he kept a safety deposit box there, which held the deed to the land. There is a provision that it could be sold back to the military for $30 million...more than enough to bail out the pension fund.

Back home, Kitty interviews a senator (Rob Lowe) who is going through a nasty divorce. She takes a huge gamble by offering a deal to him: she won't ask about his divorce on the air if he can help Justin get out of active duty. He declines, Warren suspects it, he tells Amber, Amber tells the boss, Kitty denies it...she then admits to it on the air and apologizes to Amber. The senator then offers Kitty a job in his communications department.

Meanwhile...Nora has perhaps the best line in the show when she's talking to Mr. Contractor (Treat Williams). She says he doesn't have to come over only when there's something to nail. Great, great delivery and great reaction from Sally Field.

At Thanksgiving dinner, Tommy makes the announcement that they are pregnant.

Hope this helps and wasn't too spoilerish... :crossing fingers:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode seem to take forever to get through. Maybe it was all the scenes dealing with Sarah's daughter trying to figure out religions and how God responds to all of them.

Sarah can be a nasty, snarky person, she got what she deserved in trying to screw Holly out of her portion of the $30 million.

Kevin pleads Justin's case, but the judge rules in favor of the military, but Justin gets a Christmas gift in a 6-month reprieve to get his house in order (just in time for the show to go on summer hiatus).

Nora and Holly's scene was the highlight of the episode.

Kitty appears to be moving on from the show, as her popularity is rising and her producer/exec wants to have Kitty go solo on her own show.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Patrick, it did feel a bit long and not quite as...fun to watch as the rest of the season, didn't it? I thought about that this morning and figured I'd chalk it up to the fact this was the most "serious" episode yet. There weren't many humorous parts to the show, especially when compared to the road trip episode.

Still, it's better than most of the stuff on TV now...just a let down from what the show has been. Maybe it was my expectations for the first new episode in a few weeks, maybe not. I just keep hoping Holly is going to exit stage right because I'm getting tired of her character. But it doesn't look like that's going to be the case, now does it?

Interesting news I read over the weekend, which could be spoilerish. Dan Futterman is going to be playing the new love interest for Kevin.
All I have to say is, if true, I'll be very very very happy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought the show was over, and looked at the clock, and there were still 20 minutes left in the hour! That's how long this episode felt!

I remember that dude in the spoiler from last year's "Related" show.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think the episode felt a bit off because they are changing gears in the storylines. This episode sees the end of the Ojai-in-Jeopardy and Kitty-on-TV storylines. Still some good moments, though I was less than impressed with Sarah's attitude throughout the episode. It's directly her fault that they are stuck with Holly at Ojai.

It's been announced differently in regards to the spoiler:

Kevin's new love interest is to be played by Jason Lewis, former underwear model turned actor (last seen on Charmed IIRC). See announcement here. Whether he's permanent or the Futterman drops in, only TPTB know for sure

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I could be completely and utterly wrong...been known to happen...but aren't there going to be two potential mates for Kevin? I can't remember where I saw/allegedly read this little bit of rumor...

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I've been away from this thread for awhile.

Just an update for you guys in case you're missing out.

Here's a schedule up to February for B&S:

Jan. 07 : episode 11 - "Family Day"
Jan. 14 : episode 12 - "Sexual Politics"
Jan. 21 : episode 13 - "Something Ida This Way Comes"
Jan. 28 : repeat
Feb. 04 : repeat
Feb. 11 : episode 14
Feb. 18 : episode 15
Feb. 25 : Academy Awards (no B&S)

Jason_V :

Where did you read that rumor of D.F.? Because that actually comes from me. Has it been spreading around the circuit already this quickly?

It was my speculation, and I gave enough proof to believe that's who it is, since Ausiello is not talking. So...hopefully it is true, because he's very good.

Yes, there is to be two new love interests. Jason Lewis' role takes him from episode 12 to episode 15 (4 consecutive episodes) and it's assumed that Kevin dumps him. The other love interest, the actor & his agent is in negotiations over the contract. Of course, I refer to it as "renegotiation" because I still believe in my assessment.

However, I still want Kevin to end up with Scotty (Luke MacFarlane) though. They really made the chemistry work well on screen.

All:

If you guys aren't taking advantage of the situation, ABC.Com has B&S now on their media player, and they have the first 10 episodes for B&S until January 7th until which the media will only hold the current episode plus the last 3 episodes. So, if you have missed any, time to watch it all through again. :)

Cheers!

KC

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It's been a while, but I *believe* it came from TV Guide.com.

Also remember that starting with this Sunday's episode, ABC is rerunning "B&S" on the following Friday.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Yup, there are encore repeats of the same episode on Friday nights in case people missed it on Sunday nights. PLUS, the encore comes right after Grey's Anatomy encores. So this is a good gauge of how popular Brothers & Sisters will get. I hope more people tune in on Friday nights. I would really love to see ratings get a spike it deserves.

As for the D.F. rumor, it's not official yet at TVGuide. So, not sure where else you could have read it from.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Like I said, it's been a very long while and I do read multiple online entertainment sources. My best guess is TV Guide, but I do not remember 100%.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This group of actors do the sibling bickering schtick better than most other family dramas.

I liked the use of Justin's rehab to get the viewers back into the show and catch up everyone since the brief holiday hiatus.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Which I almost missed due to my DVR not picking up on the fact that it was new, despite the tag. Did anyone else with a 'season pass' have this kind of problem or, more likely, is it just my wonky box? Luckily I noticed it wasn't recording about 5 minutes in *and* it had been on that channel after Desperate Housewives (which it did record), so I didn't miss a moment.

Now I just have to find time to watch it. The holidays have put me way behind on watching my regular programming. 14 hours worth of stuff and counting...
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just about the only part of the show I'm tired of is Holly. I think she would have worked better as a 13 episode guest star and not a full time regular. Nothing wrong with the actress, it's the character.

And I couldn't have been the only one to groan slightly when Kevin and Kitty started going at it about gay marriage. Yes, it is a favorite subject of mine, but it seems a bit much this season, with Studio 60 doing the same thing.

It's going to be awful hard figuring out what to TiVO and what to watch when BSG comes back on 1/21.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks