What's new

Directors Brook's MGM/UA Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Some Like It Hot advances 3-0 though I have a special place in my heart for Diggstown despite the "WTF were they thinking?!" lynching scene.

Blue Velvet advances 3-2 with my tie-breaking vote. I like KK but would put it at the end of the Kubrick line and not anywhere close to BV's class.

Mad Max advances 5-0. Foxy is fun, but not really that good a movie. It was the one film where dir. Jack Hill had a lot of studio restrictions/pressure and couldn't really make the film he wanted to.

West Side Story advances 2-1 with me abstaining because I can't decide

Finishing off the 1st round with a group of matchups that quite possibly Bill and I will be the only one's voting on ;)

Paths Of Glory
vs.
Shame

Persona
vs.
Hour Of The Wolf

Raging Bull
vs.
To Live

Midnight Cowboy
vs.
Crimes and Misdemeanors

Night Of The Hunter
vs.
Coffy

A Tale Of Springtime
vs.
The Princess Bride

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I've only seen 5 films from this batch and none are paired up with each other, so I Abstain once again.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I know I could have made a few more votable matchups but my idea was to create matches where the lesser seen foreign movies would be knocked out early, making voting easier in later rounds.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Paths of Glory
Persona
Raging Bull
Crimes and Misdemeanors

Abstain on the last two.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Paths Of Glory
Persona
To Live
Midnight Cowboy
Night Of The Hunter
A Tale Of Springtime

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Paths Of Glory advances 4-0 including my vote. Shame is excellent too, well worth seeing for those of you who haven't.

Persona advances 3-0, ditto for Hour of the Wolf

Raging Bull advances 3-2, I'll break the tie for RB. An extremely tough decision as I love To Live as well

Crimes And Misdemeanors advances 4-2, my vote was for Midnight Cowboy, though Crimes is fantastic as well.

Night Of The Hunter advances 3-0 including my vote, again, I love Coffy, it's the best "blaxploitation" film, though I would argue it doesn't belong in the genre

A Tale Of Springtime advances 2-1 with me breaking the tie for Rohmer's wonderful romance. The last 4 were all very tough matches

Round 2

West Side Story
vs.
Guys And Dolls

The Night Of The Hunter
vs.
Mad Max

When you see a joe
spending all kinds of dough
for a flat that could flatten the Taj Mahal....
- Guys and Dolls

When you've been married to a man for forty years you know all that don't amount to a hill of beans. I've been married to Walt that long and I swear in all that time I just lie there thinkin' about my canning. - The Night Of The Hunter

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I like the city of San Juan;
I know a boat you can get on!

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessèd peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning,
Safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

West Side Story

The Night Of The Hunter

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
West Side Story advances 4-1 including my vote

Mad Max advances 3-2 in stunning fashion, with me abstaining to avoid the tie :frowning:

Paths Of Glory
vs.
12 Angry Men

Blue Velvet
vs.
Carrie

I apologize... for not being entirely honest with you. I apologize for not revealing my true feelings. I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner that you're a degenerate, sadistic old man. And you can go to hell before I apologize to you now or ever again! - Paths Of Glory

In dreams...I walk...with you - Blue Velvet

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Colonel Dax! You will apologize at once or I shall have you placed under arrest!

Paths Of Glory

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks