What's new

Brooklyn 99 Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Didn't laugh once this episode. I hope it gets better.
Just goes to show how personal comedy can be and how it can vary from person to person. I laughed out loud at least three times during this third episode.

I liked the pilot but didn't like the second episode much at all. Then this third one has put the show on my must-see list, for now anyway. However, the ratings dropped precipitously this week even with a weaker-viewed episode of SHIELD opposite it, so I'm not sure if it'll run past the initial 13 episodes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Trying another sitcom. I'd heard great things about it from The Incomparable podcast. And the ending couple minutes that I see before The New Girl are often pretty good; and I'm about to dump that show as it's teetering on the oblivion.

First viewing was the "slump" episode. It had some funny jokes, but were interspaced by voids of dullness. Terry Crews was a hoot, in this hulk-smash persona. Andy Samberg, I didn't quite get as the lead character. I'll give it a few more episodes and see.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
During the "Pontiac Bandit" episode, the other cops determining that Peretti's character was secretly scared was a great way to flesh out her character.

Up till now, she's just been, as the writers have said, a goblin. It wasn't stomach-clutchingly funny, but I don't always need that when there's great character work, as there was here.

They even made Peralta's balance of idiocy and hypercompetence work. (In order for the character to make any sense, his "stupidity" has to be about 95% an act. Right now it seems like closer to 60%, and he's actually an idiot the rest of the time. But they're getting there.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's my third favorite comedy on TV at the moment behind Modern Family and Archer. The ensemble has really grown on me over the course of the season, and gags get milked expertly on occasion though I'm the first to admit there are inconsistencies. The first season of most shows is a trial and error period where the writers are finding what works and what doesn't. But personas are being established that make the characters people I look forward to seeing on a weekly basis.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just a few minutes away. It should be vastly more entertaining than that game.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It was funny.Several really good cameos too including Adam Sandler as himself and joe Theisman

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I DVRed it, but it started early so I missed all of the pre-credit jokes, and they were a riot once I rewatched it On Demand. Very good episode and for those new to the show, a very typical episode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TiVo got the pilot. That was a strong start and explained all the characters to me. I'm ready to watch a third episode and see how it goes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The birthday party was fantastic! Maybe the best comedy I've seen this season. (Except for 30 Rock reruns)

How is Tiny Terry the rational adult?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another funny episode to me this week. Jake and Charles trying to keep each other in check with their hot dates, and neither able to do anything other than be a dork. The captain trying to get Gina to see things his own way (an impossible task). Super Dan.

Just lots of silly bits that I chuckled at consistently.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This week's ep was brilliant. I'm sorry that next week is already the finale as I look forward to this one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks