What's new

Bronston epics and Land of the Pharaohs coming at last! (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

as promised a few screenshots, the first of each pair being from the previously best version of El Cid available and the second one from the new Weinstein transfer. The differences in colors and saturation are evident I think, also there is less ringing on the Weinstein version.

][URL="https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/74/htf_imgcache_24134.jpeg"] [/url][/URL]

][URL="https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/26/htf_imgcache_24135.jpeg"] [/url][/URL]

][URL="https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/5b/htf_imgcache_24136.jpeg"] [/url][/URL]

][URL="https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/84/htf_imgcache_24137.jpeg"] [/url][/URL]

][URL="http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1347/elcid5ls6.th.jpg"] [/url][/URL]

][URL="https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/70/htf_imgcache_24138.jpeg"] [/url][/URL]

I corrected the aspect ratio of the captures and upscaled them so that it is easier to see the differences between the two transfers.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Any news of the other 2 Bronston epics (55 Days in Peking and Circus World) coming to DVD?
I thought the initial intention was to have all 4 released by end of 2008? Have I read that wrong or has something perhaps changed that I have missed? Seems strange that others haven't been questioning likely release dates!

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
Like Nick, I'm a little puzzled about this hiatus considering that Fall of the Roman Empire was announced almost as soon as El Cid was released. Are the Weinsteins still monitoring sales of those two films before deciding on the next two?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think it's odd that if you visit the Weinstein company websites there is no mention of The Miriam Collection other that the May 24, 2007 press release. It's mentioned nowhere as if they have wiped their hands of it already.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Bumping the thread!

A post on a UK DVD forum (several months ago) said FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE and EL CID had had disappointing sales, therefore CIRCUS WORLD and 55 DAYS AT PEKING would be cancelled, presumably as Miriam releases.

Comments?

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I'd heard this. Circus World must be one of the few John Wayne films from the 1960s not to have a decent Region 1 and 2 release. Actually I prefer 55 Days as a film. It's a shame that Miriam couldn't provide either or both these films with a limited edition release rather like Disney with 'Dr Syn'. I know that very limited 'Treasure' release caused some controversy but at least it gave some buyers a chance. With the remaining Bronston epics I fear that they may be beyond our reach forever.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE was on sale for $7 or something at Amazon just a few months after release. Not a good sign.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
That's horrible, horrible news if true. I've been waiting for an announcement for CIRCUS WORLD and 55 DAYS AT PEKING... I'd hate to think they're not coming.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
If the region 1 release of Circus World is indeed canceled, you can always go with the French region 2 release of the film. Very acceptable transfer, imho...

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Somehow, I think CIRCUS WORLD will eventually see the light of day in Region 1. Harvey Weinstien is too smart a businessman to doubt that a film with John Wayne will sell many copies.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

And now I've ordered that version---sorry Weinsteins, I can't wait forever. As they say: the early bird gets the worm.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I just received the DVD today. It does look better than the SVHS copy I have from the laser disc but, it does not have the overture (very short), intermission or exit music that the laser disc has. Your not missing much as except for the overture, the music for the opening credits is the same used for the intermission and exit music. I wonder if that's what was played at the roadshow Cinerama showings?

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I received my DVD last week or so, and am glad to own it. I wouldn't go so far as to call the image/audio good, however, it's certainly more than watchable. If the Weinsteins do wind up releasing Circus World, and if they improve upon the exisiting import DVD, then I would consider upgrading.

Thanks for the heads up! Again, I'm glad I bought it.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Do you suppose it might be possible for one of you learned people to actually say something about the disc? Is it letterboxed? Enhanced for widescreen TVs? Good color? Stereo? Or do you just enjoy keeping the information private.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ptb2007

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I assume you are talking about Circus World, but what of 55 Days? Is there a decent version available on DVD anywhere you know of guys?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
There is a 2003 Korean release of this film by Spectrum (R3, NTSC) that is surprisingly good. My version was part of a 3-pack which also included Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

I agree.
It is anamorphic. Slightly washed out colors. 5.1 English surround. Audio clarity isn't as good as I'd like. It has its share of dirt/scratches in some parts. Optional Korean/Japanese subtitles. But, again, more than watchable, and I wouldn't call it bad, nor good--but much closer to good than bad, and possibly the best we'll see it anytime soon.
It was worth it for me just to own a copy.

That's my two cents... grant it, I'm not a reviewer--you'd have to leave that to the experts--I guess dvd beaver would be more qualified.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, my copy was 5.1 surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks