What's new

Bronston epics and Land of the Pharaohs coming at last! (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In regard to the aspect ratio question, I - and probably DVD Savant and others - tend to refer to anything that's about that shape 2.35:1 unless I have specific information otherwise. If the DVD case says 2.20:1 - or whatever - then I'll list it that way. Otherwise I call it 2.35:1 because I have no way of knowing the actual intended - even getting out a tape measure isn't great because it's not exact due to TV variations.

So in this case, 2.35:1 may be an approximation, not an exact measurement...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Up until this release of El Cid everything came off Digibeta masters that exist for all these movies. Sources that I tend to believe told me they were done from Technicolor prints and the misalignment issues apparent in the DVD's released in Europe and Japan that I have witnessed of all 4 movies let this appear as a very possible explanation together with the fact that all 4 have overblown contrast and strange colors.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Unfortunately although dirt and scratches have been removed from this new Weinstein DVD, the picture still suffers from high contrast and dull colours - as do all the DVDs put out in other regions. It seems to me as if everyone is using similar source material.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

The 1080i TV version based on the new master of Ben Hur is much better than the DVD. It is also much better than the older DVD-version, there is a splitscreen in this thread where you can see this. The reason the movie is softer than the earlier version on DVD is not the master.
Still you are right that a 65mm telecine is not the way to go and probably inferior than a 4k scan from a 35mm IP.

Regarding the use of a standard telecine with 65mm: People that work at companies like Fotokem will tell you that it is much cheaper than high-rez scans and that is why many studios use it. Still a bit shocking to hear that Warner even used it on Ben Hur which is probably their second biggest 70mm title.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I am not happy to hear this but as the film elements used to create the new master were already suboptimal I think this is pretty much what we could expect but at least they did a new HD master which is more than I expected. So we have better detail especially for the HD version that is hopefully coming and of course there is the better 5.1 sound.

And thanks for your detailed review - makes the wait for my Box a little easier :)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

The home video distribution rights for these films have bounced around between so many companies that one single company can't seem to justify restoring the OCN. Which is very sad really, considering that the OCN will provide the best image quality for said home video releases, and enable the best quality theatrical releases if that ever happens.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
The DVD measures at 2.35:1, so I think that confirms it is from 4 perf, 35mm, or the DVD producers really didn't know what they were doing!

The copyright notice contains an addendum "Renewed 1993 R.C. Films Corp." which suggests this DVD is taken from that restoration.

Talk about a stunning opening shot!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

A small correction and at the same time an interesting tidbit in itself:

It is P.C. which is an abbreviation for "preferred creditors" who took
over the remaining assets from Bronston's companies.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Any idea where "Prefered Creditors" is based? U.S.? Spain?

At the very least I hope the OCN is properly stored along with the 4 perf. preservation negative.

Now that you ahve pointed out that I thought the R was a P, I am starting to think the date says 1989, not 1993!

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Whether or not the new El Cid is better than the old one, this old one, or that old one, I must confess to being in a right Gordon Brown about it - which, for our American readers, means a conventional dither. I will, though, place an order herewith and am holding myself in readiness for a peak at the extras which strike me as being worth the price of admission . . .

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

I'd go for the Limited Edition if you are getting it primarily for extras. The replica souvenir booklet is a very nice extra, I hope they do the same for Fall of the Roman Empire, and 55 Days in Peking.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Last I heard it was stored somewhere together with Fall and probably the other two movies of this cycle. So it seems like the OCN's did survive the demise of Samuel Bronston productions but the way they are stored and the shape they are in is not really known.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Dunno if this reinforces your decision but:

I just got the limited edition and it is definitely the best version available on DVD although to me it looks like it is from the same master as the other DVD's I own of the movie. There are definitely improvements with regard to contrast, colors and edge enhancement with this Edition so if you want EL Cid this is there best version of it available, but don't expect it to look like King of Kings.

So I hope somebody catches the digital HD screening of the movie that is scheduled for the 29th of this month in Washington and probably in Hollywood to shed a little light on similarities or dissimilarities to the DVD.
Of course the level of detail should be vastly superior but what about the colors ?

On to the extras: There is a lot of interesting stuff for people who are interested in Mann, Bronston and Rosza - I was very impressed by the wealth of information and for me the extras and additonal stuff coming with the limited edition were worth the price of the box even if there wouldn't be a movie in it :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

P.C. Films Corp is (or was) based in New York and was set up by Pierre Du Pont, Paramount Pictures, Sun Oil and various banks (as reported by Variety). PC Films therefore owned the films and presumably arranged worldwide distribution rights but I have no idea whether they still do so.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

There was an HDnet airing. It looked almost like the (very good) DVD. So if this is indicative of the quality of the master that Warner has they will have to have do another one.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Okay, don't mean to break the current conversation, but does anyone have an idea as to when 'Circus World' is coming out? I would certainly like to purchase the other Bronston films that are being released, but 'Circus World' is the one I'm really interested in obtaining. I have the very acceptable widescreen release from France, but would like to upgrade in Region 1, just for all the extras I'm anticipating...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Expect Circus World to be the last release of the 4, either alone or together with 55 days at the same time. The extras of El Cid are indeed great, most are not specific to the movie though so I would expect less extras for Circus World.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
If it is going to be 3 month gaps, then it will be 55 Days in Peking in July, and Circus World in October.

Just a guess of course...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks