What's new

Broken Flowers (1 Viewer)

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
The resolution is in the film's stated philosophy- no future or past- only the present.
The resolution is no resolution.

If you've seen the film (and I'm not sure why you would be in this thread if you haven't)- think of the last shot. The idea is to leave you thinking in the moment.

More films should end this way. It keeps them alive after you leave the theater.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I love Indie films but I dont agree that movies of this stature should all end like this. True, You don't need everything spelled out for you in the end but the way they left it was more than disappointing. The only thing this movie kept alive is a bad taste in my mouth.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Michael,

To me, we're taking a hard look at the ravages of time at his lowest moment. If we were not just shown that even a random kid in a car makes him stop and wonder, I'd say it is fully ambiguous, but in that context it seems like we are looking at Don (as a tragic figure) rather than with him.

Of course, if we're at his lowest moment then the improved possibilities of life are implicit. So really, that shot contains everything. It meets me halfway, like the best art does. Therefore I'm not trying to change your mind, but just saying what I took away.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Steve, that's an interesting point about looking "at" as opposed to "with". I'll keep it in mind when I see the film again (something tells me this film will benefit from multiple viewings).

M.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree with Jason's analysis -- I think that was exactly what the film wanted to say.

I loved it -- I have not always been a fan of Jarmusch's work, but he has been growing on me with Dead Man and now Broken Flowers. Bill Murray is definitely on can do no wrong streak. His breakthrough role was Groundhog Day and since then his performances in Rushmore, Lost in Translation and now this have been an exercise in brilliance through escalating minimalism.

Ted

todd s

Senior HTF Member

You call yourself a Murray fan?? How can you forget two of his most minimalistic roles...Carl from Caddyshack and Trip from Meatballs! :D

John Geelan

Screenwriter
btw...the young guy in the volkswagen that passes Bill Murray at the end of the movie is his real life son Homer Murray.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Very frustrating ending. Yes, I get it. It's still frustrating.

Excellent movie otherwise.

Given how each of the ladies was progressively less welcoming, Michelle Pepe would have probably shot Don on sight had she been alive :laugh:.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks