What's new

Brokeback Mountain 4/4 (see post #94) (1 Viewer)

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Ang Lee and Annie Proulx should provide a commentary on the DVD of this fantastic film. What other interesting extras might be included? Of course I want widescreen presentation and an insert too! :) I was truly overwhelmed by the story in every conceivable way. This disc is a "must have" for my collection.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The date has already been announced?

That is surprising as the film hasn't been given a national release yet. It is still in major cities, with the wide release in the next few weeks.

wally

Second Unit
Humm… Interesting. I think it was Charles Krauthammer on Fox News Sunday, apparently a big movie buff, predicted a simultaneous theatrical and DVD release of a major title in 2006.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I pulled the release date from The Digital Bits. It does seem a bit early. Oh well, whenever it's released it won't be too soon for me!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

If Brokeback Mountain grabs a bunch of Oscar nominations and wins some of the big awards, I wouldn't be surprised to see it delayed to May or June so that the studio can captilize on the nominations/wins theatrically.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
When I saw that release date, coupled with Rent's February bow, I thought I was dreaming. I wouldn't be shocked at all if a) BM's release got pushed back or b) the March release is bare-bones with a spruced up SE later.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Rent tanked, which explains the early release. I'd be surprised if Brokeback Mountain makes the March 7 date, given it's practically a shoo-in for Best Picture now that the heat has gone out of Munich.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Although, do you think that will happen with this?

A large part of the heavy DVD buying population who goes for special editions is made up of the single male into FX driven films. The type who probably wouldn't be caught dead seeing this film theatrically, let alone buy it in a retail store.

Other than a commentary, I can't think of much to add for a DVD release. Maybe some interviews, deleted scenes, that sort of thing. But, not enough to warrant a second disc for a special edition.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm thinking it'll get a wider release in theaters before the DVD comes out. The reason for this is because this movie's gonna win some Oscars.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, using the single male FX movie theory, Chicago stood no chance of getting a 2 disc SE either. Hoe many straight guys went to see it? Yet the original disc came out and we just got a 2 disc set.

I think the chances of a SE increase proportionally with the number of Golden Globes/Oscars the movie wins. As for content, I'm not sure what there is to put on. Sure, the standard fare of deleted scenes, trailers and commentary (a must in my opinion--and two tracks, please). A lengthy behind the scenes documentary would be nice.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Well that was a big musical. All sorts of extras they could find.

BROKEBACK is just a small film. Not a lot to really expand it out beyond what most DVDs offer on the first release.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
No. I think Late May or June is more realistic. Mar 7 is 2 days after it wins all of its Oscars. Box office should still be pretty strong.

I'm guessing they will probably do a Bare Bones edition and a Deluxe Editon for this film. HOPEFULLY it will be at the same time.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson

Which also may explain the release date. I had to to a double-take when I first saw the date as well and also would not at all be surprised if the date slipped, but the theatrical-to-dvd window has been shrinking for awhile now and Universal might be experimenting with shrinking it further by using the film's anticipated awards to drive DVD sales. It's been said that there are some execs out there who would like to sell DVDs of first-run films in the theater lobby. If Brokeback does indeed come out on March 7, while the movie is still in theaters, it would be just another step in that direction.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

That could be the case. I read in Variety that the BROKEBACK box office fell off a bit when it expanded two weeks ago. It had been doing real well, but as it got more into the smaller markets, not as well. The studio was a bit worried.

I think the marketing is at its peak now. Two months from now, when the Oscars happen, I think most who want to see it will have seen it theatrically. The Awards may sell more DVDs, serve as free advertising.

So, I guess the date makes sense.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I read, can't remember whee, that the release date is the same date as the dvd of Jarhead - so we get a Jake Gyllenhaal double feature.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

Yes but it rebounded this past weekend . Box office was up 89.5% over previous weekend. It had the highest per screen average in the top 20.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN will be Box Office strong all through the Awards season. It is just getting started; a March 7th date is unrealistic at this point. If they could get some heavy B.O. they are going to make the most of it. I think the March 7th date was speculation before it was released and has become such a sensation. Personally, I cannot wait for the DVD. It is a brilliant film which I have seen 4 times at the theatre so far. But it would be great to have it make some big box office. I'm sticking with my late May or Early June guess date for the DVD. I hope the supplements are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks