What's new

Broadband Choices (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm hell-bent on going broadband now. Thanks to the people that directed me to http://www.dslreports.com So I need opinions on whether I should go with cable Internet or take a chance on DSL. I assume my connection speed will lag with the latter choice due to the distance. Is there a comparable site for cable feedback like the DSL Reports site? Can anyone list their pros and cons of each. Thanks.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Well, I was going to copy & paste something I had posted in an old thread a while back...but the search function isn't working right now, so...
DSL: The main advantage of DSL over cable is that you have your own bandwidth. If you are paying for 1500(down)/360(up), you should get close to that speed all the time...no matter how many people are using it in your neighborhood. The disadvatages of DSL is that is is potentially slower than cable, and some DSL providers are rather clueless as to how to set it up and provide support.
Cable modem: The main advantage of cable modem over DSL is that it is potentially faster. However, if there are a lot of people in your neighborhood using cable modem, it can also slow down to a crawl. It is generally easier to set up than DSL, and typically doesn't have the "distance" restrictions.
My personal experience: I had DSL while I lived in Milwaukee. I started by trying to get Ameritech to install it, but they didn't know which direction was up. So, after waiting on them for a few months, I called Earthlink/Mindspring. They set it up within a couple of weeks. I got in on a promotion at the time, and got free installation, free equipment, and 1500/360 speed for $39.95/month with a 6-month contract. Now if you sign up with them, I think it is $49.95/month. The connection was fairly reliable and seemed really fast (especially compared to 56k modem). The trick with Earthlink is that you need to get them to set you up the Covad (as opposed to other CLECs) because otherwise the speed isn't nearly as good. Luckily mine was through Covad, and my speeds were consistently around 1200+/300+.
I then moved to Berkley, Michigan, and by that time Earthlink had raised their prices (along with every other DSL provider). I also found out that if I bought the cheapest cable TV package (11.50/month) and cable modem (32.95/month + 7.00/month modem rental) I would get full cable (normally $30+/month) because the filter for the cheap service is incompatible with cable modem... (I still don't get pay channels like HBO, etc. because I would need a cable box...) Anyhow, I decided to give it a try. I managed to get in on a promo where the first 2 months were only $9.95/month for Comcast cable modem. So far, I couldn't be happier with the cable modem. I am consently getting speeds of 3000+/1000+, and it has actually peaked at over 4200 down. I have noticed no real slowdowns at all, and the service is very reliable.
With all that said, your mileage may very, and it really depends on the services in your area. Have fun either way though... Once you go broadband, you'll never be able to go back! :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info. I currently have three TV's wired with basic cable and I wondered if I could cancel it should I decide to get cable Internet service ($45/month with television service, $50/month without.) Wonder if the cable company would get suspicious or come out and pull the coax.
wink.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks