What's new

British weather = a new Robin Hood? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well the Sheriff of Nottingham has been foiled by the British weather in his attempts to collect parking fees....you would think he would have thought this through ahead of time....
tongue.gif
Link Removed
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin
[Edited last by Dennis Nicholls on September 06, 2001 at 05:03 PM]

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
An important point to remember about the Brits is that collectively we think that we live in the Arctic in the summer and the South of France in the winter. Thus, during July and August, sunshine and temperatures as high as *80F* are greeted with amazement and newspaper headlines, whilst in the winter, the first drop of snow brings the coutnry to a standstill. Canadians in particular won't believe this, but I've known schools close because there was an inch of snow on the ground. Hence, the idea that a council could order sun-powered parking meters without asking if something which worked in Mediterranean sunshine might not work with the same efficiency here, really doesn't surprise me.
If you want a further example of local council efficiency, consider the following. A new set of buildings were designed by local architects and the plans approved by the councillors. Building was going nicely until the builders phoned up the council to ask where the stairs were meant to go ... I know this sounds like an urban legend, but I looked round one of the houses a few years later. Obviously a place for the stairs had to be found, and the only possible place was also completely impractical. The stairs led from the front room right into one of the bedrooms.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
One of my favourite gaffs of recent times was in my home town of Birmingham. All of the Broad St. area has been redeveloped over the past twelve years or so to the point where it's now the nightspot central of the city (and is pretty funky in places, I might add).
Anyway, there's a stonking big Hyatt on one side of the road and directly opposite is the centre point of the redevelopment - the International Convention Centre. A couple of years ago the G8 summit was held there (big story then was of Clinton supping ale and having lunch at one of the canalside pubs, with his security staff breaking the glass afterwards, but I digress).
However the little walkway bridge that spanned the road between the ICC and the hotel was - when finally put into place - 6ft short of the distance. They had to hurridly patch the thing up in time for the conference, much to the amusement of local populus and press.
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on September 07, 2001 at 05:29 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks