brightness might be a good thing?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by KellyR, Dec 1, 2003.

1. KellyR

KellyR Agent

Until I read the actual definition of brightness from the glossary, I had always thought it to be a bad thing. The definition says that it isn't always a good or bad thing. So what is it. To paraphrase, "....brightness refers to reproduced sound having a hard, crisp edge to it...All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive....". So wouldn't a little brightness be okay (or even desirable)? I ask this because I am looking at Klipsch speakers and half the people who talk about them on the forum say that they're "a little bright". Do they mean a little too bright, or just a little bright in general (which sounds like a desirable thing to me)?

2. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

A little bright as in brighter. Brightness is relative to the listener. Too bright can be annoying, harsh, and unnatural (over emphasised). What is too bright? That's up to you to decide.

Klipsch are highly regarded. As the saying goes - if they sound good to you.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

However, the ideal for all speaker systems is flat and neutral, no matter how "unnatural" a film soundtrack is in the first place. A good speaker system reproduces faithfully as possible the signal it has been fed.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't mind a somewhat brighter speaker, but Klipsch is too much for me. I like metal domes, but I have always loved the smoothness of soft domes. I'd spent years with Paradigms, which are relatively forward, and recently switched to speakers using soft dome tweeters (also a much more neutral speaker overall). At first, they seemed a bit soft to me, but after a while of listening, I find that I really prefer the softer sound of these speakers, especially over extended listening periods.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

working at bb, i'm selling klipsch all day long. i gotta agree that they are somewhat bright - that's due to the horn-tweeter. they're really "in your face". but they're sure better then just about any other speaker there.

is that desirable? that's solely up to you. for example, my uncle definitely prefers a bright speaker. so do i...to an extent. i definitely prefer bright to boomy.

bottom line...if they sound good to you...then that's all that matters. (aka "ted's golden rule of audio"....) [​IMG]