What's new

Bright vs. Warm Receivers (1 Viewer)

Tom_K

Auditioning
I have been reading some of the posts on warm vs. bright receivers. Is there a way to see this is the specs?

I have new Infinity Alpha 40 system - front towers, Alpha 25E surrounds, Alpha 37C center, and Alpha 10's for the rears in a 7.1 set-up. I am looking for a good matching receives for a new theater set-up (room is 15 by 22).

I have been considering the new HK AVR 7300, Denon 3805, or the Onkyo 901. I saw a post that said that Infinities are bright speakers and should be matched to a warm receiver like a HK. Also that HK - Denon- Onkyo is the ranking from warm to bright.

ANy help with this would be appreciated.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
If a receiver was designed to be either warm or bright, the engineers would probably try to hide it in the specs. A significant frequency aberration isnt desirable to most people and engineers know better than to try and design their amps to give an uneven response. I would just stick to finding a receiver that can meet your power demands with low distortion and a good price.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Hey tom, I would look at the new yammies, newcastle and NAD as well. all are Warm sounding amps.

Tom_K

Auditioning
Steve - Thanks for the input on the Yamaha's -- I had a quick look and found a few interesting models alrerady. I was looking for a receiver that would convert my s-video Game and VHS units into component so that I am only running component to my projector (one wire)for my DVD, VHS, Game Console, etc. Most of these units have some type of auto set-up using a microphone. Any opinions on how well they work?

Tom_K

Auditioning
I think I already answered my own question searching through some of the other threads -- a lot out there already

Marcus Parham

Auditioning
Yamaha recievers tend to be on the bright side, not warm. You should audition one and see if it is to your liking. Warmer sounding recievers would be Harmon Kardon, Marantz, and Rotel. The Onkyo would be more neutral. The key would be to audition for sound in your home if possible with music and movies that you are familiar with and decide if you like a warm or a bright sound because everyone is different in what they consider a warm or bright sound.
Good luck and happy shopping.

Daryn D

Agent
I would put HK in the slightly warm of neutral category. It is a quality I personally prefer. The music almost has a liquid quality on some recordings. I am 90% music 10% HT. If that were reversed I might prefer a brighter receiver, but for music I definitely prefer to be on the warmer side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks