What's new

Bridget Loves Bernie - One of the 1-Season Greats (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I loved this show and I'm thrilled it's coming to DVD. I bought 16mm prints on 20 episodes about 1983 or so, with several in black and white. For those unfamiliar with the show, it probably holds the distinction of being the highest rated show ever cancelled. It finished #5 for the year in the ratings but CBS (Chicken Broadcasting System) axed it because they were getting heat from religious groups, especially Jewish ones, who thought it made interfaith marriage seem too appealing. Hey, what Jewish guy wouldn't want to be married to a rich, blonde, gorgeous Catholic girl like Meredith Baxter? And that was the problem. So as has been CBS's way over the years (Smothers Brothers, Ronald Reagan movie), rather than battle the pressure, they caved in and cancelled the show, using some lame excuse. But for anyone who's never seen it, it is a really good show which should have had a nice run and died way before it's time.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I remember this one. Wow. Now, THIS is really an obscure show. It really makes me wonder why so many more popular programs are still not out.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Wow...I remember this from when I was a little kid. It was part of CBS' awesome Saturday night line-up, smack dab between ALL IN THE FAMILY and MARY TYLER MOORE. I can only recall one plot line (something about a painting with another painting underneath it) but I know we watched every Saturday (I WAS only five.) It'll be worth checking out again.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. With Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett coming on after that.

Here's something fun I found re. that 1972-1973 TV season......

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=4

During the week of February 22, 1973, here's what the 3 major networks were airing (it's no wonder CBS whipped some butt here :)):

CBS:
All In The Family
Bridget Loves Bernie
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Bob Newhart Show
The Carol Burnett Show

NBC:
Emergency
NBC Saturday Night At The Movies

ABC:
Here We Go Again
A Touch Of Grace
Julie Andrews Show
Jigsaw

Via the above-linked article, it's also interesting to note that Bridget Loves Bernie, as thread-starter Michael Alden aptly pointed out above, did very well in the ratings. In the 02/22/1973 example provided above, we can see that the ratings for "BLB" (a 26.1 that week) beat out shows like MTM, Hawaii Five-O, Flip Wilson, Medical Center, The Wonderful World Of Disney, Here's Lucy, Gunsmoke, Adam-12, and The Partridge Family. Not half-bad.

It's also interesting to note that Ozzie Nelson directed several of the "Bridget" episodes.....

http://www.tv.com/bridget-loves-bern...ode_guide.html

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I am VERY excited about seeing this again after all these years. I really hope it holds up. And of course, it's great that it's coming out at all.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Not to disparage BLB in the least (I enjoyed the show), but I think even "My Mother The Car" would have done well sandwiched between 2 of the 3 best (and most popular) sitcoms of the 70s (the other member of the 70s Holy Trinity besides AitF and MTM being, of course, "M*A*S*H" - also a CBS show but on Monday nights in 1973).

;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

LOL. :laugh: LOL.

You said a mouthful there, Craig. Very good point indeed. I imagine even the series "Watching Grass Grow In Silence" would have also done fairly well in that CBS timeslot. :)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Well, not really. In the 1974 fall schedule, CBS put Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers in that time slot and it didn't make it past January.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I remember that show, and never got into it- didn't he play a cellist? Whatever happened to Paul Sand, anyway?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Who?

Hmm...BLB and Family are both coming out. Both starred Meredith Baxter-Birney...could Family Ties be far behind?

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this show and it was probably my introduction to having a show you loved cancelled. To this day I can still remember my heartbreak when they took it off the air.

Glad to hear it might be coming out on dvd, I will definitely get this one.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Paul Sand played "Robert C. Brand" (the IRS man) in the S.1 ep. of MTM. He even participated in an audio commentary on the DVD for that episode ("1040 Or Fight"). It's one of the best eps. of that season (IMO).

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
First Man from UNCLE, now this. Great. Now can someone please announce The Fugitive and then yank that so my summer can be complete :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks