Brian De Palma's Obsession is out on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Reggie W, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] This has been out for a while but I don't recall seeing it mentioned here. Arrow Films have done a great job with this one and the disc is region free so no need to have a multi-region player to view it. I really like this film as it shows De Palma and Paul Schrader working out their "obsession" with Hitchcock's Vertigo. I believe the story goes that Schrader and De Palma had finally gone to see Vertigo in a cinema after having not seen it in many years projected on a big screen (or maybe they had never seen it this way as the film I believe had not been shown in cinemas for some time at this point) and were so excited by it they stayed up late into the night talking about possibly making a film like Vertigo. Out of that conversation and the fact they could not stop thinking about how amazing Vertigo was in a cinema, Obsession was born. [​IMG] Gary over at DVD Beaver has a review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews54/obsession_blu-ray.htm and so does Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Obsession-Blu-ray/21426/

2. Brisby

Brisby Second Unit

I have this. Great, region-free release. The film has never looked and sounded better (and the inclusion of Paul Schrader's original screenplay is a big plus).

3. ShowsOn

ShowsOn Second Unit

I think it would be interesting if someone made a film of Paul Schader's script. The script is basically a three hour film with an hour for the past, an hour for the present, and an hour for the future. Apparently De Palma shot but cut out the future part of the script when Bernard Herrmann said that it was boring. I have this Blu-ray and think it is a great release by Arrow. The film has a lot of diffusion so it couldn't have been an easy film to transfer, but the Blu-ray is an enormous improvement over the Anchor Bay DVD I have.

4. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered it from Amazon UK.
    (Don't order from US Amazon! -- unless you really enjoy paying double the price.)

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Thanks for the reminder. With my luck Criterion will announce their version after I place the order...

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Sony just barely released it on DVD via their MOD program, so I don't see Criterion handling it anytime soon.

7. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    I would not be concerned with ordering this disc from Arrow, Felix, it's a great "Criterion-like" package. Check it out, here are the specs: Arrow Video: Obsession BluRay - £19.99 Cat No: FCD491 Starring: Cliff Robertson, Genevieve Bujold, John Lithgow Directed by: Brian De Palma Rating: 12 Duration: 98 mins Overview: THE LOVE STORY THAT WILL SCARE THE LIFE OUT OF YOU Obsession. Def: A Compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion High melodrama, creeping insanity and barely contained delirium abound in this dizzying tribute to the high tension thrillers of Alfred Hitchcock from director Brian De Palma (Carrie, Scarface, Dressed to Kill) Michael Courtland is a Southern gentleman who seems to have everything - A successful business, a beautiful wife and an adoring young daughter – until a botched kidnapping tears his world apart leaving him widowed, bereaved and bereft. Years later on a trip to Italy, he meets a woman with an uncanny resemblance to his late wife but all is not how it appears as a twisted conspiracy threatens to unhinge his mental shackles, sending him to the knife edge of MADNESS! A master class in mounting unease and clammy palmed claustrophobia, Obsession is a classic 70s thriller with an evil twist that will leave you speechless. SPECIAL FEATURES: - Brand new High Definition transfer of the film (1080p) - Original LPCM Mono Audio and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio audio options - 4 panel reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork - Two sided fold out poster - Exclusive collector’s booklet featuring an essay on the film by critic and author Brad Stevens - Available for the first time! Paul Schrader’s original screenplay of the film in a perfect bound booklet. With the original title Déjà vu, Schrader’s original script includes unfilmed sequences and sees the tripartite structure deal with the past, present and future of Michael Courtland. - Obsession Revisited: Interviews with director Brian De Palma, stars Cliff Robertson and Genevieve Bujold and more! - Early Brian De Palma short films: Woton’s Wake (1962) and The Responsive Eye (1966) - Original Trailer Original art by Tom 'The Dude Designs' Hodge Region ABC Original Aspect Ratio 2.35:1 (16x9) Optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

8. Felix Martinez

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Yes, I don't think Criterion could do much more with it and I doubt they will release their own Obsession disc.

10. Charles Smith

Supporter

Charles Smith
    Received mine today and just spot checked it.

One word: Magnificent.

11. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    [​IMG] I hope you enjoy it, Chas. It's been a great year for De Palma on blu with this release, the Criterion Blow Out, and Dressed to Kill. I love that they went with old school cover art on the Dressed to Kill blu-ray. These three films are my top three from De Palma so I was happy to see all of these arrive in the same year.

12. Charles Smith

Supporter

Charles Smith
    Definitely looking forward to Dressed to Kill, as well as an eventual Body Double to round out the films of his I enjoyed going out to see back in the day.

13. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Body Double was certainly one of his outstanding thrillers where again he works out his love of a Hitchcock film...obviously in this case Rear Window. I hope somebody has plans for that one as well. At this point I'd love to see Arrow handle it as they did such a great job with Obsession.

14. Felix Martinez

I finally ordered it from Amazon UK and saw it last night. It's fantastic - what a treat! I highly recommend this also.

15. Charles Smith

Supporter

Charles Smith
    Oh my god yes, it's a winner.

16. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Glad you enjoyed it, Felix!