Breaking: Shout Factory and ITV Studios Sign Multi-Film Deal: GREAT TITLES COMING!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    The Company of Wolves just arrived. Was a little worried since it had that region 2 symbol on it. I know Blu rays are A-B and C. Popped it in. Worked fine. the film looks fantastic over my old VHS. Can't wait to watch...

I wouldn't upgrade from this either. Great purchase.

Mark Walker likes this.
  2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

I listened to the commentary on The Company of Wolves Blu-ray last night and I liked it. Not the most hyper informative, but it is a nice commentary with the Neil Jordon, who talks about budget and how the film isn't a horror film but how it was marketed that way in the United States and the limited budget. I feel like there ought to be a region-free or Region A-compatible Blu-rays thread for this. I just popped in the 1976 King Kong, which arrived today, and not only does the film look pretty good, but it has a 20 minute making of featurette and 16 minutes of deleted scenes!

cheers,

3. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    As a youngun, KONG 76 was that years JAWS. Baker really did a fantastic job with the effects. Guy in a monkey doesn't get much better. Anyway, didn't even know there was a blu. Great! VHS to DVD to BLU....again. Hopeless collector.

I'm looking forward to the commentary on Wolves. I might have missed it, but the Blu case sure doesn't brag about extras like that.

4. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    I know.....ITV also owns Powell's "The 49th Parallel" which would also be a must-buy for me on Blu!

5. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    A really great film.

6. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Just watched Timeless Media's (a Shout Factory company) DVD of Love & Bullets and was thoroughly entertained but it felt like I got into a time machine back to 1998. A scope film shown in 4:3 is just unacceptable in 2013. I would almost rather not have something released this way at all than have to suffer through such bad quality. The DVD set was really cheap at $9 for 2 films but I would gladly pay more for a better release. I suspect Timeless is where Shout is going to dump all of their inferior titles.

7. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    and that TV stuff would include Brett's Sherlock Homes, would love to see all of it in HD

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    $ $ $ $ $ $ $ !

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Since it seems several members missed this announcement - On Golden Pond is likely coming soon.

10. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    I've been hoping for a special edition of Cross of Iron from Shout. Peckinpah on blu is always a wonderful thing. Nearly pulled the trigger on the UK release several times.

11. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Extra

Jonathan
    I expected to see some grumbling about Shout Factory, but a very quick skim reveals none. The reason is that the Star Trek BBS forums had a recent discussion about Shout Factory and bad business practices. Does anyone have a reality check supporting Shout Factory against what was discussed in this Star Trek BBS thread?

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236194&highlight=shout+factory

12. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I actually don't have any of their TV sets except for HAZEL and fairly happy with them. Though some of the transfers leave a lot to be desired, but they used what They were given. There movie transfers have been an average of 4 on a five point scale, with 5 the best (IMHO).

13. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Kong 76 didn't do as well at the box office if I remember correctly. Unfairly I might add.

14. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I had to look that up because I was sure it was super huge. It did well. 7th highest grossing film that year. Although it got very mixed reviews.

Oh! Remember John Belushi on SNL? "Noooooooobody cried when Jaaaaaaaaws diiiiiiied...! When my Kong died EVERYBODY CRIED!!" lol