What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/325209/breaking-news-warner-archive-collection-announces-first-blu-ray-releases/90#post_4002774
Back in 2005 when everyone was deriding me, I actually encouraged the stores ordering from me (knowing they could return nothing) to only order a few copies, then when those sold to order a few more - whatever they were comfortable with. And it's amazing how fast they adapted to it and actually liked it. There weren't big chains of course, and when Tower wanted to order from me, I ended up doing consignment with them, which worked out fine for all concerned. They sold what they sold, paid for them, and sent back what they didn't sell.
For Warners this is perfect. The deal with Blu-ray replication is completely different than DVD or CD replication - there is NO price break until you reach a huge number of discs. Therefore Warners can press 100, 500, or 1000, depending on how pre-orders look or how they think a title will do. But there will NEVER EVER be one return. That was the model I began in 2005 and that's where I knew it would be heading - and I was right

Since that business model has gotten us some damn fine Blu-rays of movies all across the quality spectrum that would otherwise be ignored or mistreated, thank you for your foresight.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
GMpasqua said:
I wonder if any of the Paramount titles will be included?
That would be nice. That would be a way to get some of the less famous titles out there....+++

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I am very excited to retire one previously fullframe only dvd for a new 16:9 blu-ray disc. Deathtrap is a great movie and I am extremely excited to get this as well as Fearless when it comes out.
Hopefully the WB Archive Blu program can fulfill my request of releasing previously fullframe only dvd's in 16:9 widescreen.
Here are my requests
Action Jackson
Boiling Point
Caddyshack II
Burglar
The Candidate
Cannonball Run II
Clean and Sober
Dead-Bang
Doc Hollywood
Fair Game
Final Analysis
Forever Young
Great Santini
Guilty By Suspicion
Her Alibi
Hooper
In Country
Innocent Blood (extended cut that is airing on Netflix)
It Takes Two
Lean on Me
Made in America
Lovesick
Man With Two Brains
Michael
Go Tell the Spartans
My Blue Heaven
Nothing But Trouble
My Fellow Americans
Private Benjamin
Protocol
Running on Empty
Sharky's Machine
Showdown in Little Tokyo (unrated cut airing on demand)
Stand and Deliver
Stealing Home
The Witches
With Honors
Wrongfully Accused
And from their Cannon Pictures holdings. I'd like these in widescreen OAR
Hellbound
The Hitman
American Samurai
Fifty/Fifty (the Peter Weller movie)
American Ninja V
American Ninja 4
If these are slated for regular Archive DVD that is fine too. I would just love to FINALLY have these in OAR in this region. Many of these have been released in 16:9 widescreen and uncut/director's cut in Europe and Australia. Hopefully when all is said and done these will eventually come to the Archive in some form. They are all decent movies that I would love to purchase.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Would like to see "Mister Roberts" make it to blu - I'm guessing it would be through the Archives.
Also "The Great Race" "Finain's Rainbow" "Victor/Victoria" and "My Favorite Year"

wonder if WB would ever release "The Devils" through the Achieves, so far only in Britain and not on Blu-ray. I don't get it, they'll release "The Exorcist" but not "The Devils"

Would love the gangster sets to come to blu. We are getting a set in the spring (Public Enemy, White Heat, Petrified Forest etc) maybe if it sells well enough we'll get a second set soon (Roaring Twenties, Angels With Dirty Faces, Slight Case of Murder, City of Conquest, Mayor of Hell etc)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
David Weicker said:
One other thing. MOD stands for Manufactured On Demand. It does not equate to -R discs. It merely means that the disc you purchased was created for you when you ordered it. It might have been Pressed for you, or it might have been Burnt for you.
"Manufactured on demand" does not necessarily = "made to order." "Demand" can mean anything from an individual order up to a projected estimate of sales for a given period. In practice, I think the latter is what happens. Making them to satisfy individual orders would be totally impractical.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Paul Penna said:
"Manufactured on demand" does not = "made to order." "Demand" can mean anything from an individual order up to a projected estimate of sales for a given period. In practice, I think the latter is what happens. Making them to satisfy individual orders would be totally impractical.
While that is probably true, I was really trying to get across the idea that MOD does not specifically mean -R or burnt discs.
As for how far in advance the discs are created, or whether they have a stockpile, I don't know. For pressed discs, I agree that it wouldn't be practical to do them one at a time For burnt discs, the practical/impractical isn't as much an issue.
And after a title has been out for some time, they will eventually run out of their current batch of discs. So whether they run off a new batch when they are about to run out, or wait until they actually get another order (in which case, the first one of the new batch is for a specific order), I don't know their policy.
David.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Garysb said:
I thought I had read there is currently no such thing as BD-R because the industry has not yet set the standards for what exactly this would be.
I burn BD-Rs almost every day. They exist and there is a standard.
Doug

moviepas

Supporting Actor
wonder if WB would ever release "The Devils" through the Achieves, so far only in Britain and not on Blu-ray. I don't get it, they'll release "The Exorcist" but not "The Devils"

I have the BFI disc, not on Blu, but it is not the complete version that Warners would not release to them for the release as hoped for.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hi all!
So, will these Blus be limited pressings or repressed according to incoming orders like the regular WAC DVDs? Can´t seem to find any official word on this.
My wishlist:
Victor/Victoria
S.O.B.
Great Race
Wild Rovers
Sharky´s Machine
Last of Sheila
Klute
Petulia
Point Blank
The Hill
Wild Bunch
Ballad of Cable Hogue
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Some Came Running
Flame and the Arrow
Red Pirate
White Heat
Mr. Skeffington
Lots of great suggestions in previously posted wish lists!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dog Day Afternoon and The Music Man were previously issued on Blu. Are they out of print now? I had heard The Music Man was for a time but then people began finding it an item they could order. So, I don't know. My Blu-ray copy of Dog Day Afternoon remains in the shrink wrap even though I loved the film. There is just never enough time to watch everything one has on hand.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
MattH. said:
Dog Day Afternoon  and The Music Man were preciously issued on Blu. Are they out of print now? I had heard The Music Man was for a time but then people began finding it an item they could order. So, I don't know. My Blu-ray copy of Dog Day Afternoon remains in the shrink wrap even though I loved the film. There is just never enough time to watch everything one has on hand.
Hi Matt -- thanks for reminding me about Dog Day Afternoon already being out on Blu. As for Music Man, I heard it was hard to find and I haven´t re-checked recently, so I just put it on my wishlist. I´ll update my wishlist.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
The Wild Bunch is already available on Blu-ray too, and Warner will be releasing White Heat on Blu via traditional retail channels in the second quarter of 2013.

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Stefan Andersson said:
Hi all!
So, will these Blus be limited pressings or repressed according to incoming orders like the regular WAC DVDs? Can´t seem to find any official word on this.
My wishlist:
Victor/Victoria
S.O.B.
Great Race
Wild Rovers
Sharky´s Machine
Last of Sheila
Klute
Petulia
Point Blank
The Hill
Wild Bunch
Ballad of Cable Hogue
Some Came Running
Flame and the Arrow
Red Pirate
White Heat
Mr. Skeffington
Great list!Just to add few more titles:
McCabe & Mrs.Miller
Ride the High Country
Get Carter (original)
Lone Star
Out of the Past
The Asphalt Jungle
Baby Doll
America America
Wait Until Dark
Bad Day at Black Rock
Straight Time
Night Moves
Time After Time
Scarecrow
Big Wednesday
A Little Romance
Prince of the City
After Hours
The Accidental Tourist
Singles
Gaslight
Brewster McCloud
Lust for Life
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Ryan's Daughter
Blow Up
Diner
Gunga Din
Dolores Claiborn
Salem's Lot

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
A few more I'd love to see on blu-ray from WB--
Any of the Ken Russell's - they are all so visually stunning --
THE BOYFRIEND
SAVAGE MESSIAH
and yes indeed THE DEVILS- I don't understand why WB wouldn't let the BFI release it on Blu-Ray - it is an important film
that has grown in stature since it's original release
THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL - outstanding color cinematography by Jack Cardiff, gorgeous period sets and costumes and Marilyn Monroe at her most beautiful.
Of course VICTOR/VICTORIA
and perhaps, at long last, the SHOW BOAT trilogy - Please!!!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Stefan Andersson said:
Hi all!
My wishlist:
Victor/Victoria
S.O.B.
Great Race
Wild Rovers
Sharky´s Machine
Last of Sheila
Klute
Petulia
Point Blank
The Hill
Wild Bunch
Ballad of Cable Hogue
Some Came Running
Flame and the Arrow
Red Pirate
White Heat
Mr. Skeffington
That reminds me that a couple of months ago I got out the DVD of THE FLAME AND THE ARROW and watched it. I remembered it wasn't a great transfer, but my, it would need a complete overhaul for blu-ray. They probably transferred if from a bad fine grain and would have to go back to the original 3-strips, but as it is now, the color is bad, the film too dark and contrasty and soft. Other than that, it is pretty good.

Humm

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry Saley
Does anyone know which version of "Gypsy" will be on blu-ray? I believe the VHS and subsequent DVD actually dropped a number or two, although I cannot remember off-hand which ones. I am hoping that what we will see is the complete film as originally screened. Also, speaking of Ros Russell, I hope someone somewhere has "Auntie Mame" in their sites for a blu-ray release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The version I have of Gypsy on DVD is the same version I saw in the theaters during its original release and the version that has been constantly screened since that time. "Together" and Herbie's duet half of "You'll Never Get Away from Me" were never in the general release. Those numbers were included as extras on the DVD releases, but if they were ever a part of the actual film release, they were cut in the very early stages of its run.
I'm guessing this is the version of the movie we'll be getting on Blu-ray.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The cut numbers included on the DVD were actual 16 MM that Karl Malden provided for that release. As far as I know the footage does not exist in 35MM unless some collector has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks