Breaking Bad - Season 5 (AMC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by joshEH, Mar 5, 2012.

1. SamT

SamT Cinematographer

Sam
    By the way, do you guys remember that first person that Walt killed was not a "bad" guy. I mean he was DEA's informant, so he actually killed an innocent person before that kill in season 2.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Crazy 8 was going to murder Walt and Jesse so I wouldn't consider him to be innocent. Presumably, the information Crazy 8 was giving up to the DEA on other criminals (like his own cousin) was worth the cost of allowing him to continue his criminal activities.

3. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Mike:

Oh my...I appear to have soiled myself.

4. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

My prediction: Walt will kill Jesse in the first half season, and Walt himself will be killed at the end by... Walt Jr.

5. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Lots of spoilery goodness in the latest trailer:
    [VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9mjziiF-w&feature=player_embedded[/VIDEO]
    • Jesse diving in front of Mike's gun(!!).
    • Saul: "The police may call..."
    • Hank: "This Heisenberg... he's a ghost."
    • Walt with hair and a beard!
    • Mike: "Do you even know what you've done!?"
    [​IMG]

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Another WTF opening that should be explained next summer or something.
    It's always a good episode when Walt has cooked up some crazy scheme.

7. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I could be way off and I have no basis for this prediction, but my thinking is this first part of season 5 (we'll call it 5a) will lead up to this week's opening. Then 5b will pick up from that point in time.

Really enjoyed the episode.

So there are now 3 more people (the guys at the junk yard) that know Walt is no good (I'm assuming they don't know his name though). But the more people that know, even if just by appearance...

Loved Mike's line about "Miller Time".

8. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh

9. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Perfect start to the season. Love that Walt might have unknowingly fucked himself even further, the way he always does. Chances are extremely low that Fring was dumb enough to actually save anything on his laptop (though I guess we'll never know) on the information behind the scenes...on the other hand, it probably never would've been found if it weren't for Mr. "Because I Say So."
    Which, in itself, feels like something Walt's been waiting the better part of the last four seasons to say. He's finally completely, utterly in charge. Which means the fall is going to be epic.
    A whole buncha thoughts from last night:
    • Magnets! The Juggalos were right. Also, I think we just saw a possible future episode of Mythbusters...
    • "You know, I can foresee a lot of possible outcomes to this thing, and not a single one of them involves 'Miller Time'." GODDAMN DID I MISS YOU, MIKE.
    • Man, Mike owned most of the episode, then Walter just goes and become creepy in the last few minutes, and takes the show right back.
    • Oh man, what is that Grand Cayman bank-account going to lead to?
    • I liked how Walt's "I forgive you"-thing was trading on Skyler's confessed fear of him. Very sinister. (But, then again, Skyler used fear to her advantage, too, when she realized Ted was afraid.)
    • Also, looks like we're back to puzzling opening scenes from the future, à la Season Two! I'm curious about that cold-open, and it could be something we don't see until the back half of the season. Then again, I'm also wondering if it might be the very last part of the series. That'd be kinda amazing if they gave us the very end right at the beginning, and I can see it being somehow satisfying if they build up to it right. Great start; I just wish the show was longer.
    And finally: I don't think that I've ever heard the words "I forgive you" be so menacing before. Welcome back, Breaking Bad.

10. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    .http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/878833/width/500/height/274
    I kinda hope Hank and Mike are the only two characters left alive by the last episode. I don't think Walt Jr. will make it out alive. (I just hope he gets one last good breakfast.)
    Of all my Breaking Bad predictions to be blown away, though, I'm most pleasantly surprised that there's no way the Internet's going to spend the first 4-5 episodes of this season incorrectly saying "Nothing's happened!"
    Walt Jr.'s going out. But, his death is going to break Heisenberg -- I think losing Skyler or Holly (to death or flight) would trigger Nuclear Heisenberg, but Walt Jr.'s on a different plane for him. And that was Walt at Denny's (bad hair and all), and wherever he's going with the Big-Ass Gun™ will be Walt trying to summon Heisenberg, or at least pose as him. But he's half-hearted and maybe even scared now, at the finish, and resigned to the finality of whatever that situation is.
    Of course, I'll probably rewatch it tonight and decide, nope, that's a toupee, and he's off to assassinate a bus full of German corporate executives, cackling and smirking. Dammit, they're good with the total-cipher framing devices.

11. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

Well, the owner already knew Walt was up to no good anyway from the disposal of the 'mobile domicile' back in Season 3.
    I was a little more surprised at Mike just using his hand to cover his face while he was spraypainting or whatever to block the cameras.

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Fairly good season starter. Good to have the show back.

Still wondering what the first 5 minutes were all about, but
    as already summarized, we will probably find out more in
    the next few episodes.

So, the mystery of the lilacs. Has that been solved?

I could not make out what was in the baggie that Saul
    showed Walt, but it sounded as if Saul admitted giving
    the Lilly of the Valley berry ("Huckleberry") to the kid.
    I am assuming this was under Walt's instructions.

Judging by the previews a new "baddie" is about to
    walk on the scene next week. Is he police or gang
    related? To be continued...

13. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

That is why Walt dumped the plants at the beginning of the episode. Those were the Lilly of the Valleys that Walt gave to Saul.

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    So, the question is, did Walt concoct a plan with Saul
    to give the berries to the little boy or did Saul do that on
    his own?

15. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    It was Walt's plan. Saul said something to the effect of, "You brought me this stuff...I didn't know the kid would almost die."

We knew at the end of last season that it was Walt who poisoned the kid. What we learned this week is that Saul was in on it and seems to have been the one who actually carried out the plan.

16. Greg_S_H

Greg
    BTW, it was the ricin cigarette in the baggie. I'm sure Walt will keep it around for possible future use, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sky gave it a smoke. Ew, what if Junior found it and decided to try smoking? The best use would be to slip it into Ted's pudding.
    Speaking of Ted, without hair, he looks like Kevin McDonald. Not that Kevin McDonald doesn't have hair. The show did need another bald man, especially if Walt's gonna grow his out.
    The best part about BB is that people no longer see Jonathan Banks and say, "Hey, it's that guy, ol' whatshisname!"
    Best guess about the opening is that Walt is in the witness protection program and coming back to the ABQ for revenge, which will end up with his family back in New Hampshire getting a target on their backs. I'm not sure he's going to die spectacularly in the finale since they are talking about a big screen movie followup. That could be misdirection/wishful thinking, I guess.

17. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

I really hope they don't do a movie. This is one of the few television series that has started off strong and continued strong, with great acting, writing, pacing... pretty much everything.
    I don't think a movie would do this series justice. The BEAUTY of the show is the buildup from each episode to the next, not a quick story in 2-3 hours.

18. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Please NO to the movie!!!!! This is the first I'm hearing of that.

One thing I made a point to notice - Walt walked out of Saul's office without taking the cigarette, at least that's how it appeared.

19. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I was too focused on Saul realizing Walt's a monster now. He was used to Walt being a low-level scared rabbit like he is, but now he's Gus.
    Yeah, Cranston talks up a possible movie any chance he gets. I read him saying that a month ago, and he reiterated over the weekend at Comic-Con. From his comments, he may just be answering a reporter's question in a way that doesn't close any doors, or he may just be clueless. He admits he doesn't know how the series ends or who survives.
    Here's a link with quotes from both Gilligan and Cranston (I think Gilligan is going to please most of you):
    http://screencrave.com/2012-07-16/breaking-bad-creator-quashes-movie-hopes-series/

20. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

I wonder if that will mean Walt will put out a hit on Ted, since he knows a little too much, or at least knows something isn't right. Also, it can't be good for him when hearing him promising that he won't say a word.

Jonathan Banks definitely stole the show in the season premiere.