What's new

Brands/models of some the most efficient speakers? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have PSB Image speakers. My main front and left speakers I bought were the Image 6T's because they had the lowest bass response and best efficiency (91 an-echoic/93 room). I like my speakers. They sound good and they play loud enough of course. Although they are slim, or narrow looking, they are rather tall and deep, so still large and somewhat awkward speakers. Also, I usually use them with my subwoofer, so I wonder how much of their efficiency I am taking advantage of (crossed over at 100 hz!). Not to mention that bass extention, although many argue the speakers are probably blending well because they go down to 32 hz -3 dB.

Just wonder if people have some examples of some of the most efficient speakers out there. I expect many will mention Klipsh, as I'm aware, they make some of the most efficieny speakers. I'm also looking for comments on sound quality. I'm curious if more efficient speakers exist out there that aren't too much more expensive and that aren't larger.

I know someone is just waiting to reply with .."Why do you care about efficiency? Just get a speaker that has reasonable efficiency, ie isn't particularly in-efficient compared to the average speaker, and sounds good to you." Thats fine, but I'm posting here because I'm curious about what speakers are out there with the most efficiency so that is the kind of feedback and information I am looking for.

As I've added below in reply, I'm adding in editing here. The reason for a search for efficient speakers is the same as my reasoning for looking for those newer digital power amplifiers and digital amp powered receivers. I am wondering how little electricity you can use to power a music/home theatre system. The goal would be to see if people living off-grid could manage with hi-fi equipment. Same goes for people trying to cut electricity bills. Audio-video equipment doesn't use the bulk of home electricity used in a home, but as other things become more efficient, it will be interesting to see how little audio-video equipment can use and still be high quality.

So are Klipsh the most efficient out there?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I know you're prepared for the "why does efficiency matter" and certainly it can play a part in choosing electronics and the like, but you still don't say why this is important for you. Efficiency doesn't really correlate to sound quality at all. Are you looking for very loud speakers for a lesser amp? Or are you using tubes or something?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Efficiency does relate to sound quality. Although for different reasons. Some people say it make the sound more effortless because of the headroom. Sometimes I do notice that the better speakers happen to have lower efficiencies.

The reason I'm looking at speakers with higher efficiency is pure curiosity and to see if there are more efficienct speakers out there than the ones I have, that are not larger than mine. As far as sound quality goes, I realize basing a decision on efficiency alone might result in speakers with sound quality that is less than ideal. The idea is simpley to see what high efficiency speakers exist, see how big they are, and ultimately give them a listen. I realize that even with speakers with somewhat less than average sensitivity or efficiency, it doesn't take an aweful lot of electicity to power them, but I'm looking to maximize efficiency.

I guess I'll add my reasoning here and in my original post. I'm looking at researching whether or not people who are "off-grid" can have a home theatre. With high efficiency speakers, digital subwoofer amps and projectors that use less than 200 watts on average, I'm curious to see if the electricity consumption would be low enough to be accomodated by people who live off grid with solar and wind power. Even for people who live on grid, electricity costs can, and likely in the long run, will go up in the future, and its interesting to see how much more efficiency can lower costs. AV equipment is positioned well. Much of the mid-level equipment does not use too much electricity as it is, so who knows how much more can be gained.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Klipsch speakers are very high efficiency...usual around 96dB. The 'KG x.2' models sound very nice. I think the 'KG' series went a little down hill after this series though.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So I take it Klipsh leads the industry in high effciency, high sensitivity speakers? Any other speakers? What speakers are inbetween the more efficient "regular" speakers and the high efficiency of the Klipsh?

BrianAe

Second Unit
Horns are all supper efficient. Some line array speakers like the GR Research Alpha-LS are very efficient as well.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Chris, I agree that efficiency has something to do with the sound as you described. Besides Klipsch, there are a few DIY options you could consider. Most regular speaker manufacturers don't bother trying to achieve efficiency above 90db (which is probably rare as far as actual performance, not manufacturers' specifications, is concerned). There are a few oddball single driver models that do this (92-95db?) but they might not be what you're looking for. It'd be real hard to find a very efficient speaker smaller than what you have. High efficiency by nature means large size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks