Brain Dead DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve_Knutzen, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Wondering if the current release is OAR. It didn't lokk like it had that many features. Any news on a SE coming soon?

2. MarcW

MarcW Agent

I've heard rumors of an uncut release by Anchor Bay later this year. In the meantime I'll be watching my uncut R2 copy.
    -MarcW[​IMG]

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have the region 1 disc. It's in widescreen and think it's in it's OAR. You're right about it not having many features. It's unrated, but not uncut. I haven't heard about an SE though.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    It's worth noting that although the unrated American cut is shorter than the Braindead release, I've read that Peter Jackson actually prefers the shorter cut. He had extra time to prepare the American cut, and he shortened it to a length that he actually preferred. While I'm all for getting the longer version (I have the Japanese LD), I think it's something to keep in mind.
    DJ

5. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

What's missing from the American version? I've been thinking about getting this disc and I wanna make sure that the lawnmower scene I saw on IFC is still intact.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I think most, if not all of the lawnmower scenes are intact. I haven't seen the uncut version, so I don't know. I've only seen the unrated version.

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. MarcW

MarcW Agent

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

10. MarcW

MarcW Agent

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

12. MarcW

MarcW Agent

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Peter Jackson likes action and has a tendency to cut out as much non-action sequences as he can. I tend to like the longer versions of Braindead, Heavenly Creatures, and Frighteners better than his final cuts, but I can see why he would make the cuts he did. He tries to keep the film going at a fast pace without slowing it down in spots.

Unfortunately, sometimes the cuts include gore scenes. That is just plain wrong.

14. Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw Stunt Coordinator

Any news on a R1 release of this? I have my eye on the R2 version, as I've just acquired a region free player.

15. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

Is the R2 version the uncut, "longer" version of the film? I was under the impression that the only way to get the longer cut was on the Japanese LD.

16. Jacob McCraw

Yes the R2 is uncut. I know the edited version is available in R1, but I don't care for it.

17. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

MarcW:

Actually, I don't think Jackson ever said he "prefers" the shorter cut of HEAVENLY CREATURES- rather, he didn't feel the cuts that Miramax did hurt the film. He thought they did a good job of trimming it down while maintaining his overall artistic vision. I know for a fact, though, that he was upset about at least one of their edits- the clipping of the overhead shot where you see a patient in the hospital coughing up a bunch of blood into a bed-pan. This frankly looks like a sloppy edit in the American theatrical version of HEAVENLY CREATURES.

I asked Jackson which version of HC he prefered several years ago when he used to post on the now defunct "The Bastatds Have Landed" website dedicated to him, and Jackson's response was something along the lines that he thinks hard-core fans should watch the longer version, whereas casual viewers would probably prefer the shorter one. He also said that he planned to someday release a further extended cut to laserdisc (these were the LD days when DVD had just been debuted) that would contain "10-minutes of footage that haven't been seen anywhere"- i.e., an approximately 2-hour cut of the film. Obviously, Jackson then got busy with the LORD OF THE RINGS films, but now maybe he'll actually get around to releasing this extended HEAVENLY CREATURES on DVD with LORD OF THE RINGS style-supplements.

Vincent

18. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

Just to be clear (and I may be the odd man out here),

Is Steve referring to the Peter Jackson film Braindead, which US audiences may know as Dead Alive, or is he referring to the Adam Simon opus Brain Dead, starring Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton? I have that DVD, and it is a featureless 1.33 release. I'm not sure if that's the OAR or not, knowing Corman.

CDE,

CS

19. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

20. Jacob McCraw

I know the thread is titled "Brain Dead", but all of the content refers to Peter Jackson's "Braindead" film known as "Dead Alive" in the US. That's what I based the revival of this thread on. So...does anyone have any info or should I go ahead and get the R2?