What's new

"Brady Bunch" Season 1 Release Date: March1, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Those menus look much groovier than the pedestrian efforts offered for Andy Griffith and some other Paramount shows.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This is my all-time favorite show, and I'm getting antsy.......tick tock, tick tock, tick tock......ugh!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Having just finished watching this whole set, I think fans are going to be mostly happy with this release, and I know I'm looking forward to more. My review should be up some time this week.

Bryn G

Agent
It appears the order of the first 7 episodes (on the 1st DVD) are in the following order, based on the one menu screen:

1. The Honeymoon
2. Dear Libby
3. Eenie Meenie, Mommy Daddy
4. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
5. Katchoo
6. A Clubhouse is not a Home
7. Kitty Carry-All is Missing

This means they are in the order in which they were aired, not the production order. It's a minor thing except most episode guides list the episodes in production order, and that order seems to make more sense (the events in "A Clubhouse is not a Home" appear to happen very soon after the girls move in with the boys). That order would be:

1. The Honeymoon
2. Dear Libby
3. A Clubhouse is not a Home
4. Kitty Carry-All is Missing
5. Katchoo
6. Eenie Meenie, Mommy Daddy
7. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Bryn G

Agent
One thing that does concern me -- the review on DVD Talk (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14561) discusses the picture quality, saying that at times (especially with earlier episodes) it's not that good. I have the set of Brady Bunch videocassetes put out by Columbia House in the 90s. And I remember at least a couple of episodes ("Father of the Year" in particular) where the video for certain scenes (such as the one where the kids teach Alice to ski) looked like a complete mess compared with the excellent picture quality of the rest of the video. I hope this isn't going to be the case with the DVDs. I suspect - if they're using the same source material - it well may be. Not that this is going to stop me from purchasing a copy.

Bryn G

Agent

That's how I intend to watch it. I recall something similar happened when the Flintstones Season One dvd set came out. It's probably not a big deal either way. After all, ordering it by air date WAS how people originally saw the show.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The video quality does have issues, as it is not all from the same source. The variance affects the whole set, but not necessarily every episode.

John McM

Second Unit

has anyone seen Christopher Knight on VH1's The Surreal Life? who would've guessed he would be such a hottie at 47, especially considering neither Barry Williams or Mike Lookinland are much in the looks departments these days?

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Just got mine in the mail today. It's EXCELLENT! Bravo Paramount Television.

The color is great. The sound quality is superb. This was a no-brainer. I didn't watch the extras just the first two episodes. This is a true classic... I love the packaging with all the bright colors and the cover is terrific!

I can't wait for Season Two!!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. It looks terrible. DVNR was overapplied, making every shiny object shimmer (take a look at the scenes in the kitchen.) And when things aren't shimmering, they are smeared of detail. Paramount should be ashamed.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I've watched a little over half the episodes and so far I haven't seen any shimmering at all, even in the kitchen scenes, except on 1 of Mike's ties. Can't remember the episode off-hand.

I have noticed the soft-focus on certain shots/scenes, however. For the price it's okay I guess, but it can't compare to the transfers Warners did on "Gilligan's Island" second season.

Also, I LOVE the double slims, which cuts down on the size quite a bit over the previous Paramount sets.

JasonL

Auditioning
The BB set is excellent. I don't notice the shimmering either. I'm watching this on a 5 year old Sanyo regular television which has a nice clear picture. I do notice the spots where the focus goes soft and grainy. Must be a damaged source. The sound is just like I remember it, all of the intro/outro music is there and even the "In color" splash screen and the classic Paramount logo is at the end.

Paramount makes great DVD collections.

Bryn G

Agent
I haven't noticed the shimmering either and I was looking for it especially. I did notice patches with poor video quality -- sad but you work with what you've got I guess.

I found Sherwood Schwartz commentary to be rather boring and repeated much of what he said in the included documentary. The two commentaries with the Brady kids however were worth the price of the set alone. I hope they do more (MANY more) in the season sets to come.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Some spots to look for if you want to see the flickering.....doorknobs, jewelery, the appliances in the kitchen.

Bryn G

Agent
I was looking specifically at kitchen scenes - at the metal frying pan for example. Nothing. Could this be a byproduct of your video equipment somehow?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks