Box suggestion for Tumult!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian-Nu, May 13, 2003.

1. Brian-Nu

Brian-Nu Auditioning

I'm putting the Tumult in my car. I plan to have the box 3.5 ft^3, ported, tuned to 35hz. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Thanks!

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Ported? I don't know much about the Tumults, but I'm pretty sure they can't be ported very easily. Best bet would be to go sealed if you ask me.

3. Craig Treusdell

I plan on using a Tumult in my Impala SS in a 3.0 ft^3 box tuned to 20 Hz (tuned low, but that is the sound I am looking for). Check out some other forums that Adire supports and you will find a large amount of info about Tumults ported in cars.

4. edit....I'm a dumb @$$ [​IMG] wrong thread [​IMG]

5. Brian-Nu

Brian-Nu Auditioning

It's recommended to tune the Tumult to 20hz when you use it in home theater application. In cars, it's for music only, in my case. 99% of music does not go below 30hz, there's no point tuning the Tumult low. That's what I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Craig, which forums are you talking about?

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

What kind of port is needed to tune a Tumult that low without getting port noise? The Tempest needs a massive box, and the Tumult displaces WAY more air. I'm not getting something here [​IMG]

7. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

A 30-35Hz tune is just fine for the car (although I'd opt for the lower tune) since you will be getting tons of cabin gain down low. Be sure to use a subsonic filter below Fb to protect the driver though.

Cam,
    Yes, it can be ported using a square or slot port of sufficient size. If the port is too long then just make it turn 90deg. If you go with a slot port be sure to add in "end correction" values too.

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Wow, that would be a great competition sub in a car if it's ported, geez.

9. Craig Treusdell