What's new

Bought Sony 36HF510... where to start with Service Menu tweaks? (1 Viewer)

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I'll be taking delivery of my new 36" HDTV on Monday (Labor Day) and I would like to know if there is one particular thread/forum/whatever that has the majority of tweaks used on the HS series sets. I own a Samsung 61" DLP as well, and have done alot of tweaking in that tv's service menu over the last few months. This is the first Sony I have ever owned though, so I am not exactly certain where to start. I plan to do the usual contrast and brightness reductions from the get go. Are there particular DRC modes/color settings/whatever that give a somewhat flat grey scale to 6500K out of the box? If not... which mode/color temp is closest?

Any idea if there is a service manual online for the 36HS510, or is this a purchase only? Also, my DLP's service manual is WORTHLESS when it comes to the service menu. It has no descriptions and no mention of even how to enter the menu. Is the Sony manual even worth owning in regards to SM tweaking?

I've read virtually every thread on the board that has "hs510" in it... but I haven't really found any answers to the above questions.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

Regards,
Jeff

PS - FWIW, I will be using an RCA DTC100 with some sort of VGA to Component adapter with this Sony. Once the new DirecTivo HD PVR's come out, I will move my Samsung TS160 STB down to the Sony and use the DVI input. Any thoughts on either STB with this set?

PPS - I'm very familiar with using Video Essentials and Avia to set the User Menu stuff, so you don't have to mention that. I also have Digital Video Essentials on preorder which should HOPEFULLY help all of us HDTV owners tweak a little better than the original DVD version. Of course that is only IF the sucker finally hits a release date. :frowning:

Lev-S

Second Unit
Make sure you disable the red push (can't remember values). It will really clean up the image and prevent bleeding reds and oranges.:emoji_thumbsup:

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Lev,

Yep... I am aware that there is an issue with this. I haven't been able to find an HS510 specific tweak in the SM for red-push. Any ideas or links?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Try avsforum.com. Hate to refer away from this board, but they have more info. I used some of their posts to adjust my 36HS500, fix red push, overscan, etc.. Search for Sony sevice menu or something like that. They probably won't have info for your exact model, but they are all just about the same. Hope for good geometry out of the box!

To get into service menu:

Turn off TV, press display, 5, vol up, power.

1&4 - change setting by type
2&5 - change setting group
3&6 - change setting + and -

To save - mute, enter

You can find the important settings without a manual, but you should be able to find some more specific help if you look hard.

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jeremy. I had actually found the SM info that you posted. I've got a thread over on AVS as well. I've been all through the HS500/XBR threads there as well... just not alot specific to the HS510 unfortunately. With my DLP there is a HUGE community of people who own the sets on AVS and have tweaked extensively... posting their results in a few different threads. I was hoping the same would be the case for the 36HS510, but it seems that not many people have this set or are talking about it.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks