What's new

Boston VR-950 (1 Viewer)

Ron-R

Auditioning
Hello all. This is my first post and I'm really excited to be part of this forum.

I'm in the process of buying my first home theater system and it looks like I'll be going with Boston Acoustics. I found a pair of VR-950s in an area shop that is selling for an amazing price. The only thing is I don't see it on BAs website. I guess because its an older model. Can someone give me a little background on these speakers? Not necessairly specs, but rather what year were they sold and what model takes their place.

Also, what they sound like. I really like the CR95s, and those are the ones I'm probably going to get. But I really, really like the VR-1s. Is it safe to say that I'm going to like the way the VR-950s sound?

Thanks all, and happy holidays.

Tim K

Second Unit
I've had the 950's for about 4 years now. They just stopped making them this year. I love them, and so do many others. I have the VR-10 (now called the VR 910) center channel which is a nice match, but as I understand the more expensive and slightly larger 912 is an even better center channel.

I paid about $550 when i got them, but they listed at like $700/pr at the time. I've heard them selling lately for about $350/pr.

here is the info from Boston's site:
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...p?ProductID=10

There is no "direct" replacement for these, though the VR-1's are probably the closest things. The VR-1's use two 6 1/2" drivers as compared to the 950's which use two 5 1/4" drivers.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
The 950's are great speakers and at a great price. They have excellent high end detail and good mid punch. They do lack a lot in the bass but that is to be expected with only 2 51/2" drivers. I would also compare them to the vr1. If you can swing it you may want to go that rout or even the vr2 which add a 4 1/2" mid. They are excellent. I have the vr3's and could not be happier but they are a bit more...thank god for trade up policies:). For the prices the 950's are at right now though, I would jump all over them. Good luck

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I acctually found a pair of VR-950's that my manager gave me an absolutly awsome deal on. I love them very very much. I have only had them since x-mas. I use them mostly for tv, and music. The imaging on them is incredible. When I have them playing on tv I seriouly think I have a center channel or the sound is coming from the tv.

They really do need a good sub to accompany them. They have ok bass for music, but they really need a good sub. I dont think you will be dissapointed with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks