What's new

Boston Legal ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Mikah,
Did you happen to notice that I opened the discussion of this particular episode without even naming the subject?
Perhaps because I'm not in a race to get a 100 post thread closed?
It's Boston Legal...it's not a Public Television program on the pros and cons of the death penalty.
Many of us care a great deal about this matter and don't require David Kelley to go through a checklist on the subject to satisfy all sides.
Just looking at the financial expense, with the costly (sleepy lawyers) appeal process, are you certain it's cheaper to kill someone than to lock them up permanently?
And since this is not the forum for such discussions please feel free to email your thoughtful response to me,

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I think the site is malfunctioning. Your moderator status isn't showing on your posts.

This thread is for discussing the show Boston Legal. The show covered the death penalty in Texas. I outlined why the show didn't work for me. Since you've responded with nothing but your own personal preference as to how you'd prefer the thread to go, and outlined no forum rule I violated, I'm going to go ahead and keep my own counsel about what I post.

That said, my point isn't for us to debate the death penalty. The point is I don't think Boston Legal incorporated it into the show well.

As for saying it is Boston Legal and not Public Television, that position holds no water with me. If the show decides to take on a serious issue, it is fair game for the viewers to determine if it did it well. If you don't require fairness, that's your right, but don't expect me to subjugate my opinions regarding fairness to pacify your own.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's DEK's show, he doesn't have to show balance if he doesn't want to show balance. As long as he delivers ratings for ABC and doesn't have the FCC breathing down ABC's neck, I suspect they'll let him do what he wants.

You, OTOH, are free to tune away from the show if you can't stomach DEK's bias that interjects in each and every episode. I watch the show in spite of his bias, fully aware of that bias. Bemoaning DEK's lack of balance is futile because he's DEK and he can do what he wants until ABC cans his show.

If DEK simply wanted to shock people into thinking about stuff he feels strongly about, and he can do it in a way that he feels justified in conveying his message, then that's what he has to do. There's no balance sheet, no pro/con ledger he has to adhere to in presenting his case.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Right. He doesn't have to show balance, and I don't have to like it. Since this is a forum to discuss the show, both the subjective pros and subjective cons, I'm going to go ahead and feel free to point out when the lack of balance gets in the way of producing a quality show in my opinion.

I'm free not to watch? That's your response to me outlining why I didn't think he hit the mark? And what do you suggest if I think some shows are simply better than others; some more enjoyable and some less so?

Pointing out is not bemoaning. It's what commentary is.

I think he failed to shock anybody into thinking about anything by his heavyhanded mischaracterization of the situation. He's effectively preaching to the choir since the only folks he'll move are those already inclined to think like he does.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Many people continue to tune in, even though DEK misses the mark due to his overt bias for some of them, but if you don't enjoy his point of view, and continue to subject yourself to it, there's not much anyone can do because DEK is going to do what he's going to do. Citing deficiencies won't make DEK "see the light" nor produce a "balanced" look at a controversial issue. For all we know, that's DEK's way of introducing homework for his viewers.

Some people tune in for the funny (Alan riding a mechanical bull, Denny's insight into Judge Clark's situation, etc), and can tune out the bias. In the past DEK has been able to bring more funny, and less bias, but nowadays, it's pretty much a given that he's going to wear his bias on his sleeve, so it's a take-it-or-leave-it situation for viewers with this show nowadays.

At least DEK has both Shore and Crane on somewhat different ends of the political spectrum, but they still respect their abilities as lawyers and found a middleground for their friendship. Give DEK a little credit for taking sides, even if you, the viewer, don't agree with it. If any of the stories/situation move the viewer to find out more about the situations, then DEK has done more than just entertain/pontificate, he's moved someone to take a closer look, and not just take everything shown/spoken on the show to be 100% accurate, but still have a basis in truth. There's nothing wrong with exaggeration to make a point, as long as it stirs the curiousity and inflames the spirit.

DianaM

Agent
Phil Neel is the award winning editor of Boston Legal. He edited the episodes Hired Guns, It Girls and Beyond as well as the powerful Death Be Not Proud, which just aired.

Before Boston Legal, Phil was Moonlighting's post production supervisor, editor and associate producer.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Phil about a month ago so go to moonlighting21.com to read this very insightful interview.

Thanks.

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
As a Houstonian, it was cool to see the area shots (especially the Fred Hartman bridge in Baytown). I still haven't figured out why every TV show/movie that involves Texas must have cowboy hats and boots. The bar scene was a bit much. I still enjoyed the episode, even though I disagree with its portrayal of the Texas justice system.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those confused reading those last couple of posts: Zap2it reported that BL won't return until later this fall, where it'll be in a new timeslot with 27 episodes (5 were supposed to close out this season, but with Grey's Anatomy picking up almost 5 million for viewers in that Sunday 10 p.m. EDT timeslot, ABC decided to just keep Grey's Anatomy there for the rest of this season, and put BL on the backburner). Boo!

Zap2it article

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
So no Boston Legal until the fall? The one show on Sundays that I looked forward to is now gone. Oh well, more time for other things.

- Walter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, ABC is all about the ratings, and it's chasing them with a 2-episode wonder (time will tell if the ABC execs were correct in letting Grey's Anatomy run through the May sweeps, and tabling Boston Legal until the fall).

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Rhona Mitra and Monica Potter are gone too for Season 2? :frowning: (Of course after they air S1's remaining episodes)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
That's hardly enough to make up for the loss of Capshaw, Mitra, Bell, and Potter and the additions of Bea Arthur, Candice Bergen, Betty White, Estelle Getty and Rue McClanahan. ;) Spader needs temptations.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Two more hotties bite the dust? :frowning:

I propose a new rule for the networks, don't get rid of anymore beautiful women unless you are prepared to put them on another show. ;)

They can't keep toying with the emotions of millions of guy's who love to drool over these women.

Oh well, I watch that show primarily to listen to Spader talk, his dialogue is pure genius and so is his charactor.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
What's the shelf life for drooling? Doesn't that wear off after a bit?

As for Spader having temptations, I find the banter he shares with Candice Bergen at least as interesting as the banter he shared with Rhona Mitra. I don't mind an actress easy on the eyes, but I like it paired with good acting. A good example is Lena Olin on Alias. She smites me, advancing years and all. I never watched Murphy Brown, so I'm being Candice'd for the first time. I like her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks