What's new

Bose (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Richard, you've been here for a year and a half....how could you possibly not know why people advise against Bose?? lol

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Richard, this is my opinion only. I know nothing about Bose (not ever having owned a set and only hearing it at store demos). I have read quite a bit on the internet that is less than good about it, though, as I am sure you are aware, also.

That being said, almost all people on these forums say that if you like the sound of your system, then that is what counts. If it sounds good to you and you like the looks of it and the price is OK for you, then I say go for it. It is your system and you are the one listening to it. I have no idea how/if you can set it up as 5.1, but would guess that it can be done.

I would just be prepared/have a thick skin when it comes to posting about it on these types of forums, as Bose is not well liked for various reasons.

Also, I can point you to a forum that is specific to Bose products, if you wish?
(although I have never visited it).

Good luck, Frank

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Honest answer? You are (over)paying for the name, which has been established through sharp and expensive marketing, rather than any audio expertise, for the last 30 or so years. Only Bose's overwhelming marketing department could put out a system with a large gap in frequency response between their "bass unit" (can't call it a sub, it's not "sub" anything) and their mains and have people say it sounds great. That's just one reason.

Want more?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Come on now Jeff. What does frequency response matter these days? Check out Stereophile's review of the $40K+ Zanden on their webpage.

mylan

Screenwriter
I just cannot figure out why someone would want to troll if they know better, especially being a member here for over a year. Another weird occurence I had was in the "hardware for sale" thread, in which I had ( and still do have ) a subwoofer for sale. Only two people even inquired about it, the first has been a member here since 2003 and only has a couple of posts responding to a sale item but so far has bought nothing that I could see. Who signs up here and doesn't post??:confused:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I give up! Bose is wonderful. Buy a $4000 lifestyle® system and be happy. Wire your system with Monster® cables, and come back to HTF to talk about movies & TV.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Right! Thanks, I forgot the marketing term and I didn't want to visit Bose's website to check (I'm not near a shower and/or anti-bacterial soap at present). ;)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris

I don't really have anything else to add to this post that hasn't already been said. i did want to respond to this though. I've been here for 7 years now, and I don;t even think I've cracked 200 posts yet I'm reading this almost every day. Some people just like to listen and speak up only once in a while.

Chris

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry,,in my search for a quality 5.1 system I happened to ask my coworkers
what they thought and they all say "you should try Bose" so I remember all the negative posts about Bose and I asked the queastion for responces so I could show them all that Bose is not that great. Thank you and sorry for the
confusion.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Bose's hole, if you take those frequency graphs seriously, is well inside this midrange. Some might note that the whole purpose of a well designed crossover is to sum to a flat response, and it's not clear if it does, or does not. In any event, it's placed unusually high.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Yes, I too thought Bose was great a few years ago. I thought 'Wow, what great sound out of little speakers'. Of course being in the video/film industry you would've thought I knew better but HT was all new to me. Then a friend showed me the way. Then I started realizing what I was missing and now here I am with a SVS SBS-01 which is only five months old and already I'm jonsing for the MTS line or some other mid tower line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks