What's new

Bose wins again!!! (1 Viewer)

Rex Quinn

Agent
I guess when you dump a couple of grand (at least) you brainwash yourself on how good something is.
This is very true. People who buy Bose speakers probably feel insecure about their purchase, with the average Joe-Consumer not knowing much about audio and dumping thousands of dollars on a Bose setup. They tend to convince themselves that they did the right thing by justifing their purchase with the "Bose is the best" theory. The more people they can convince of that, and the more they brag about "owning Bose speakers", the better they'll feel about their purchase. They'll even start believeing it themselves after a while (even if they don't quite like the sound. They want to like the speakers because they spent so much on them). It's a sick type of self-reasurrance really. Bose knows it and takes advantage of it.

Jason Co

Second Unit
I have to admit I bought a Bose system. Not only did I buy it, I went straight to the outlet! Now I went to the link that talked about the paper drifers and the frequency response yadda yadda.... to be honest all that stuff means jack to me. I consider myself in the category of I know what I like. When I brought the Bose system home I had all my neighbors over and showed off my system like the proud dad. Then I started reading HTF. Now whether this site influenced my listening or not I don't know, but I started listening with a more critical ear. I noticed first off that I could never hear the damn dialog. I had to turn it up so loud to hear the dialog that the special effects became obscene. SO what did I do??? Went out and bought the Bose center channel. Guess what it still sucked. to make a long story longer I ended up selling my Bose system to a friend of a friend. I must admit I felt a little guilty selling it to someone I know, but I feel the price I asked was much more reasonable than what I bought it for. The thing that I feel the worst about is my neighbor liked mine so much that he went out and bought himself a full Bose setup. He is happy with it so I guess that is all that matters.
I guess in the end I will continue to read the specs and not understand them.....BUT I know what I like.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I just got a mailer from Bose, and I must admit -- the prices are RIDICULOUS!

$3000 for a surround sound system constructed with paper and without a real sub? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

I'm amazed at the morons that actually shell out the money for this stuff.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
At least someone has posted a frequency response for these things so I can now show Bo$e proponents what they're missing.
A couple of my brothers are Bo$e fans, and I made the mistake of saying Bo$e is overrated to one of them. He tried to pitch to me the whole "direct/reflective" theory behind the Acoustimass. And I tried to explain their drivers are crap.
I've learned there are three topics I don't discuss with people:
Politics
Religion
Bose

Ryan Solberg

Auditioning
no joke.... its hard to tell people that bose sucks... here's my theory behind why its soo hard.

1: They don't know jack about stereo, so even if you tell teach them about every aspect of the bose speakers that sucks they still won't understand.

2: Aren't willing to listen to why the bose speakers suck. Either because they like bose and don't wanna hear anything bad about them, OR they don't wanna seem ignorant when they have no clue what you're talking about OR they just don't care enuf about speakers to learn about them.

3: They are lazy, They want to buy some of the best speakers you can buy, but don't wanna do any research, so they think... hey bose is best, common fact right?... so they go with bose, and don't have to do any homework to figure out what to buy... Everybody likes to be able to spend 10minutes shopping... its much easier... allows you to spend more time playing with your new toys.

i've experienced all three concepts in just the past week...crap... and to some extent all three in 1 person.

HungLe

Agent
Jason,

I agree with you. My dad bought a bose system several years ago thinking that it was the sh!t. I never really told him but watching movies with it suck ass. You cannot hear the dialog at all and if you turn the volume up too loud, the effects will drown out the dialog still. Ugh.

Good thing though, he is enlightened and he wants me to build a pair of gr-reseach av3 and 3 av1+ plus a tempest sonotube sub. Ah, cant wait to start the project hehe.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
As an auto tech,I had worked on Mazda's from 84-98, and the 93-95 RX-7's had some bose high dollar stereo option,Mazda talked it up real big before the 93's came out,it was some kind of mess of piping all over the back of the car,with 2 speakers facing each other or something like that:D anyway,none of us could find any real diffeence from the stereo level below it:emoji_thumbsup: .even the Rep was like "yeah,we know" :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I agree in part there. You can't talk people out of being wacko politically, or religiously, BUT you CAN convince people away from Bose. You just can't TELL them about Bose. You convince them to come over to your house, and listen to some real speakers. You don't even need great speakers to do this. I keep a pair of old Bose bookshelfs from before my "conversion," just to show people how much better, say, a pair of basic paradigm titans are.
However, my dream job is 1) NICE hifi store, or 2) Bose
Why would I work for Bose you ask? Cause i'm a student and money= better speakers for me, and where do you think all those Bose profits go other than marketing? commission. :D That's the motherlode.
Is anyone else as terrified as I am of this little fact:
http://www.bose.com/business_solutions/
GAH!!!! I guess that there are actually proffessional sound techs using Bose..... God forbid any studios mix using Bose speakers....

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

The Bose ad link that you listed is aimed at the corporate/business world...background music in office spaces, cafeterias, etc. I don't know of any recording studios /production studios that use bose....and you can bet that if any did, you would see it listed on the bose website!!!

there is a ton of money in the commercial sound business...go into any disney sstore and look up...yes..you will see a bose speaker....the only good news about this situation is that their commercial speakers are comprable to what else is out there in the industry....still overpriced...a jbl speaker vs the bose in the same configuration costs less and sounds better...(have we heard that before?)....but the price rip offs are not as bad in the commercial side of their business because most of these jobs are out on bids...bose cannot afford to be 4 times as highas the competition....

Russ

Ron_L

Second Unit
GM Place here in Vancouver uses a sound system built and designed by Bose. It has big Bose signs all over the speakers. I think it sounds like shit, but my parents think it sounds good.

BOSE SUCKS ASS!!!

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
"I agree with everyone here that Bose SUCKS! Speaking of why Bose sucks, i would like for you guys and Bose lovers to read this aritcle at this link. Happy reading."

I read some of the responses and this was my favorite, bose marketing at it's best. I can't believe someone really believes this.

"Boo hoo, so you don't like Bose. Well guess what, for an editor to write such an involved artictle on bose sucking, you sure didn't do a lot of research. First off, besides sound, you're forgetting what Bose offers that you don't find in many other brands. And anyone who reads specs as part of their purchase decision, obviously is tone deaf, or lets their friends make all of their decisions. To start with, let's talk about spec printing. Did you, in all of your whining, forget to research the fact that lifestyle systems are an integrated design within itself? To explain for those of you who may not understand, that means that a power rating means literally nothing when the amplifier was specifically designed for the matched speaker it comes with. In fact, it is so meaningless to rate their power because of this, that more or less power supplied to the speakers would be a worse sound reproduction. And how about all of the technologies they offer? Videostage 5, for instance? Oh yeah, it must be just a pro-logic II, right? Well, seeing how it beat pro-logic II to the market by 4 years, and it is still more advanced seems to say a little bit. Full moving digital surround from any source, including mono!!! Check out the movie "12 Monkeys" with Bruce Willis on VHS. In the scene where he is in the quiet room wearing a straight-jacket, he hears voicing in his head. On pro-logic II the sound is horribly re-produced in both rear channels, but on the LS25, or any with Videostage 5, the sound appears and moves throughout the speakers. But if that doesn't sound advanced enough for you, throw in the DVD, and realize that the sound movement was exactly the same. Still not impressed? Non-localized bass. I got this demo at a Bose store. Try going to any store and listening to a satellite speaker system. On any system, a deaf guy could point out the location of the subwoofer. But the Bose bass appeaers to come from the speakers, you seriously can't find the sound in the room. Want proof, have the salesman cover the hole (of the older style basses) and the bass and most of the midrange is gone, that is, the sound that you would have bet money on that it was coming from the speaker that you were standing right in front of. Getting on with it, I'm basically saying that Bose is not trying to reproduce the sound like Dynaudio, Krell, Levinson, and all of those other million dollar brands. For the human people in this world who can only afford systems up to maybe $5000, Bose scores pretty high. But besides the fact that they win the crowd over with the size of their speakers, hey, have you heard them. A one-inch speaker that can produce that level of sound and volume. And don't forget my favorite part of Bose systems, you cannot distort the sound even at 100% volume all day. It is all internally controlled. Bose may be for the more practical person, but for every other class of audio lovers, they offer a whole lot more than I've even listed that everyone will love. Oh yeah, and they sound great! And again, don't judge sound by specs, you geeks; try listening to the sound, and telling your "expert friends" who think there $399 Sony receiver is top of the line to shut up!!!"

I agree with the comments made on Bose home theater products, but i must put my 2 cents in on the car audio. My Mazda came with a Bose setup, and it sounds really good. Great bass and good highs. Although they dont limit their size with the car audio. My car has two 6X9's and i belive 2 5 1/4's so they dont restrict the size of the drivers as they do with the "cubes".

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Paul that is funny!
Yeah and tell all your friends with thier $399 Sony receivers is top of the line to shut up!
LOL, ah ha, but my $2K receiver is STILL cheaper than a bose setup and is a HELLA lot better :P

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Yes, their advertising is close to saturation. I am amazed that they still put full-page ads in the high-end journals.

But it really all boils down to buying people that other people trust: Paul Harvey and Rush Limbaugh. American Icons. Can do no wrong. Bose. An American company for Americans. Good Day?!?!

Greg

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I guess it's American to sell overpriced crap that causes morons to think it's a lot better than it really is..... :rolleyes
Not suprising though -- we can get starving, dirt-poor Russians to pay $4 for a McDonalds extra value meal (I know this from experience -- McD's on Arybat St. in Moscow has a line that would rival Studio 54 around lunchtime), we sell $120 shoes made for $1 in (insert third world slave labor country here), and we sell t-shirts that cost $50, again made in (insert previous slave labor country here) for under a buck.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Last month I spent an hour telling a co worker the cons of Bose speakers. It didn't matter what I said (all the tech talk, the suing of Consumer Report, price/performance factor.....the list goes on), he wanted to hear none of it.

He's convinced that because they can put a driver into a little cube like that and make it sound loud that they have to be good. That the technology merrits expense. That Bose is so far ahead of the competition. Also, he says they must be great because bars, lounges and studios features Bose.

He's convinced. Brainwashed. A fool to tell you the truth because he was very closed minded and refused to hear me out and consider what I was telling him. The only way you can unconvince these people is to let them go out and buy their $4000.00 Bose set-up. Let them hear their bass module for a month or two and then take their favorite DVD and ask the person to watch it at your place.

Then watch their little world come crashing down. I have no sympathy for someone that refuses to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks